Best TRUE reason for being late to work?

Options
2»

Replies

• lorro
    lorro Posts: 917 Member
    Options
    OK I have another. I used to live in Jamaica where it was perfectly acceptable to say you were on "Jamaica Time". They even printed it in newpapers next to start times for events as a warning that lateness may well occur.
  • claire_90
    Options
    aw my best isn't very exciting compared to these lol, I was over an hour late once though because a huge truck got stuck in an intersection and the poor young boy driving it couldn't do a 3 point turn to get out, so spent over an hour attempting to inch by inch turn his damn truck
  • DanL66712
    Options
    I once missed a plane to fly to a meeting because the train I needed to get, which was the first one of the day, was cancelled. The reason given over the tannoy was that the train was cancelled because the driver had overslept and hadn't made it in to work. Amusing at a later time, but not when you need to catch a plane.

Oh! And after the Christmas party last year, I made it in to work 3 1/2 hours late because I couldn't get out of bed. Fortunately, I work in quite a relaxed office, so the punishment for being last in after a night out is you have to buy donuts for your entire team. Even better, it was the team christmas party that day, so I was only in work for about 30 minutes (I didn't even turn my laptop on) before we all went out for lunch and more drinkies!!
  • nowornever47
    nowornever47 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    Have done the normal things: forgot to set the alarm the night before, forgot I needed gas on the way to work, etc.. but if I'm late nowadays, it's usually because I lose track of time sitting here, dilly-dallying having my morning coffee, while reading these awesome stories on mfp!! ha ha love it!! :laugh:
  • dubw
    dubw Posts: 429
    Options
    Absolutely True: Atlanta I-75 morning rush; a beer truck overturned, and cases of beer were everywhere. In the malay; people were stopping in the freeway and getting out of their cars to steal beer. Traffic came to a standstill. for an hour.
  • newbeetler
    newbeetler Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I was on my way to my final college presentation. All done up in suit, tie brand new white shirt.

I got stopped by the police driveing past the local event center who proceeded to check who i was and was it my car.

They then informed me that as the ruling party (Conservatives) at the time were holding their political conference in the event center they were going to proceed to strip my car down and search it for bombs (IRA were very active at the time). Even though I am english born and bred and have never even been to Ireland.

So everything came out.

Under the hood checking the dip sticks. All the cables came off the car.

The spare tyre and everything out the boot.

When they were finished they left it all on the side of the road and I had to put it all back in.

So I was 30 minutes late for my presentation covered in Oil and dirt over my nice new suit and tie.

Luckily I had the document producer form the police had given me and my lecturer let me give my presentation and marked me as if I had turned up prestine.

He even gave me an extra mark for dealing with an unknown situation and still giving a professional presentation.
  • lorro
    lorro Posts: 917 Member
    Options
    Similar one to the above happened to a friend leaving work when she was a doctor in training. It was when junior docs had to do a 48hr shift. Royalty were visiting the hospital and the car park was closed shortly after she arrived at work. When she got out her's was the only car left and the police were taking it apart looking for explosives. Lol
  • Poetic_
    Poetic_ Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    My boss at my previous job was late one morning and told us as he was backing up in his drive way he saw an alligator behind him. So he had to "catch" it........
  • RDalton84
    Options
    I had a hot iron plugged in (but turned off) and as I was turning around to leave the room my foot caught it and pulled it down off the ironing board and it landed on the top of my foot :( Had to call in because I couldnt wear any shoes
  • ket_the_jet
    ket_the_jet Posts: 1,257 Member
    Options
    As far as I am concerned, there are only three reasons to be late for work:
    1. Hung over
    2. Entertaining company
    3. General nonchalance

So quit with the "my car broke down" bull**** and tell your boss you were late because you just didn't care.
    -wtk
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    I went into labor.
    I'm hoping that turned out to be an absence rather than lateness. Surely you didn't show up later that day?
  • galebran
    Options
    I was running late one day and BEHOLD there were about 25 turkeys blocking my street. (Neighbor likes to feed them) And the males fluffed up and held their ground. Did get some good pics tho..LOL
  • galebran
    Options
    Thats a BIG OUCH!!!
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    This is the most horrible reason I have been late to work. A dog ran out in front of me on a country road, in the dark. There was nothing I could do to avoid hitting him. I felt horrible. I pulled over and cried. Went and picked up my boyfriend, we went back and tried to wake the owners. I don't believe in hit-and-run and leave laying there. Couldn't wake them. I got a towel out of my truck and covered the poor dog. My bf went back later in the morning to talk to owners. Before he could even explain to them that his girlfriend hit the dog, the ahole says "Yeah, well, at least they had the decency to pull him off the road and cover him up." I cried off and on all day because I'd "killed" a dog.

Oh, that is so sad! I hit a dog one day and felt really bad, too. The owner was there and took it to the vet. I rang the vet later to see how the dog was and the vet yelled at me because I hit the dog - it had run out in front of me from between parked cars. I didn't have a chance of missing it.

That vet should be ashamed! It was an accident!
  • iuangina
    iuangina Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    I hit a pedestrian because she ran out in front of my car after getting off a bus. I had the green light and she had a don't walk. She survived, but had some bad injuries. She got a ticket for causing the accident because she was on her cell phone.

There was also a cattle spill on I-75. Truck carrying cattle overturned and cows were running around all over the interstate, so they shut it down.

There was also an incident with a Zebra running around downtown Atlanta when the circus was in town a few years back.
  • NYCDutchess
    NYCDutchess Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    While I was getting ready for work my shower unit fell off the wall and hit my in the head. I fell onto the shower door and out the shower. It hurt a lot!! My house mate came running at noise and found me on the floor naked! :blushing: Awkward!
    I cracked my head open and had to get the blood out of my hair before going to work. My boss sent me home without pay for being late! :sad: Bad day!

:drinker:

Ok, seriously, I would have gone right back to bed...I wouldn't have chanced getting hit by a car or something crazy...I can't believe you even went iN!!! Your boss is an *kitten*. lol
  • interceptor311
    interceptor311 Posts: 980 Member
    Options
    Forgot my firearm at home! LOL
  • _snw_
    _snw_ Posts: 1,305 Member
    Options
    heh. because of a cow you had to babysit. awesome!
  • MrDude_1
    MrDude_1 Posts: 2,510 Member
    Options
    Two weeks after I bought a brand new Ducati.... I got rear ended on the interstate... during rush hour, at about 70mph.
    new Duc...totaled.
    $1000+ in riding gear.... totaled.

only injury was one tiny little raspberry scratch next to my elbow from the armor shifting.... so I went in to work.
    Apparently it was on the news that a bike crashed, copter got a shot of it on TV and everyone saw it was my "new bike"... they thought I was dead or in the hospital or something... instead I was just 2 hours late because I had to get it towed home and grab the other motorcycle and gear to ride to work..