I want to give up.

Options

Replies

• redsteve65
    redsteve65 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    What ever you do - don't give up.

Bodies do adjust during weight loss and it does become harder to lose weight.

I don't know if you watch the Biggest Loser US but the contestants lose massive amounts of weight in the first week and then lose hardly any in the 2nd week - its always the same season after season.

I've found that to lose 2lbs a week I am only allowed 1300 calories a day plus whatever i earn from exercising.

Stick with it!
  • RiaKennyDeuce
    Options
    Giving up is not going to make you feel better. Choose Life! Change your workouts, your body may be used to what you are doing. When your workout is not challenging then its not working. Push yourself, it's not easy but remember its not a diet but a lifestyle change. You can do it!
  • Alexstrasza
    Alexstrasza Posts: 619 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone for your kind words. It almost brought me to tears seeing how supportive people can be on this site.

I want to get healthier. For my kids, my husband, and most importantly, for me. I want to be able to play with my children in the park, or go hiking with them in the woods.

I just want to live a good life. I get so frustrated sometimes.

Thanks again everyone! I'm going to try and change some things. I'm going to try and drastically lower my carbs and sodium and increase my vegetables. I was doing really well there for awhile with veggies and then all of a sudden it dropped away and I don't know why.
  • christibam
    christibam Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    Why dont you give up? This may sound strange but thats what I do.... I tell myself I will reat give my body time to plateau its honest what its wants to do then hit it hard in two days. Yes you may put on a lb but then after a rest it will come off nicely! Well thats how my body works. Sometimes it just needs a little boost!

I also find that if I eat more and exercise a little less then my body seems to drop weight, i think its cos instead of burning out and by the end of the wweek exercising half heartedly I give it 100% all the time cos I feel more fresh!

This works for me anyway, I just stay positive, eye on the goal and listen to your body.

Yeahhhhh but a lot of people give up for years instead of a week or a month. That's the problem. Sticking to making healthy choices and working out should never be given up on. If giving up to someone means going back to the way they were living before means not giving a crap and just eating whatever and sitting around, they could just gain 100lbs in a year or two and then be even worse off than when they originally started.

Whatever you do, don't give up on you. I assure you, if you give up now, you'll regret it. If you stick to it, you'll eventually see results. There's is no way that eating at a 1,000 calorie deficit and working out is going to make you gain weight in the long run.
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    I looked at your diary and you really are eating a lot. I think you should set your calories to 1200-1400. And cut out eating out and wine. it will help. even small amounts of alcohol upset your body's capacity to burn fat.

1830 is the amount MFP set for me. That's already below my BMR and TDEE.

Have you taken your measurements? The scale is an evil ***** and only tells part of the story. Measure your neck, chest, upper and lower arms, upper and lower legs, waist and hips. Then, use the number on the scale along with the measurements to see your progress. And, chasing two little ones around, don't do 1200 calories, you will drop like a fly.
  • iNkedFiTmama
    iNkedFiTmama Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    Also try measuring yourself.. If you are working out that often you are going to be losing inches. For 3 weeks of my first month of getting back on track I didn't lose ANYthing and I felt like I just couldn't do it.. Here I am weeks after that so glad that I didn't give up .. I've only lost a few lbs but my body is changing so much that I'm happier now than I've ever been despite the # on the scale.
  • _Bob_
    _Bob_ Posts: 1,487 Member
    Options
    I gained for 2 months before I started loosing again. just stick with it and you'll figure it out
  • silvergurl518
    silvergurl518 Posts: 4,123 Member
    Options
    have you tried upping your calories and also upping your exercise? drink tons of water! i was at a plateau for MONTHS until i increased my calories AND my exercise. now, i'm about 2-3 lbs down from my plateau. weight loss is always at a snail's pace for me so i can't promise miracles but it's worth a try....
  • todaystuesday
    todaystuesday Posts: 77 Member
    Options

Every positive food and fitness choice you make puts you one step closer to good health - REGARDLESS of what the scale says.

This is just what I needed to hear today!
  • mack1238
    Options
    My calorie goal is similar to yours. I consistently stay below it though, and no, I don't eat back my excercise calories. What I have found to be helpful is just staying off the scale. In fact, I only weigh myself every 8 weeks. If you are constantly checking your weight, the time it takes to lose it will feel like an eternity. Also, I would cut way back on your carbs and bump up your protein a lot. MFP sets my protein goal to somewhere around 75 grams per day but I always shoot for close to 200. Also, I try to keep my carbs below 200 per day. Hope that helps.
  • almc170
    almc170 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    It looks like you've made some progress--8lbs since early January is a healthy rate of weight loss, and a 2-week stall is frustrating, but fairly common. Sometimes it just takes your body awhile to adjust to changes in your diet and workout routine. In the long run, drastically reducing calories would probably be a mistake, especially since sounds like you have a fairly active lifestyle. Adding extra veggies is always a good thing, though :smile:
  • Lane1012
    Lane1012 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Don't forget, this is a marathon, not a sprint. There are some great suggestions in this thread, try them out, see which works best for you but don't get disheartened.
  • ktaygal
    Options
    Hang in there! Something I have found to help when I stop losing weight is to drink at least 100 ounces of water every day. It seems like a lot, but it usually helps. Also, try increasing your fiber intake. It helps you feel fuller, so you eat less. I love the Kelloggs fiber plus granola bars. They have 9 grams of fiber, 120 calories and they taste like a candy bar! They fill you up when you are starving mid afternoon and feel like eating too much. Hope this helps!
  • ava33
    ava33 Posts: 26
    Options
    Hey there,

I haven't read all the posts but I also started out on almost 1,700 calories here, was exercising a lot and it took me a while to see losses.
    Since I work full time and also study I rely on microwave meals a lot which I know isn't the healthiest but helps me with portion control and I'm still losing, even thought I don't eat a lot of fruit and veg.
    I've tried different things over the weeks - eating exercise calories, not eating them, drinking more water and so on, and what seems to work for me is to never let my net calories go under 1,400 (600 under my BMR), i.e. eat back my exercise calories to at least that level, and drink lots of water. I also go out once or twice a week and try to keep my drinks within my allowance but don't always manage; on the weekend I eat back all my exercise calories so sometimes go up to 2,300. I guess you just have to figure out what works for you and your body.
    If you haven't worked out before it can also be that your muscles are getting stronger - you won't see any difference on the scales but your clothes should fit better.
    I'd be careful to reduce calories too much, the body does hold on to your reserves then.
    Don't give up - even if you're losing little or slowly you're still losing, and more importantly not gaining!
  • richelliott1
    richelliott1 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I had a quick look at your profile (and your kids are soooo cute!)

I have 2 little ones and thats a gym session in itself!

What I would say is try dropping to 1400-1600 cals a day. I'm 154kg and I eat 1600 a day, as long as you eat the right things you won't be hungry. Oats and Protein are great fillers!

As someone said every change you make is a good one. Although I know how frustrating it is, I only lost 1KG this week and was gutted, then my trainer said "it took 32 years to put on, it won't come off over night!"

Keep up and Good luck!
  • LordBezoar
    LordBezoar Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    1) Take your measurements
    2) More fruits & veggies, less white bread and flour tortillas
    3) More protein
    4) BE PATIENT!

Every positive food and fitness choice you make puts you one step closer to good health - REGARDLESS of what the scale says.

Yes, I also noticed that you are very low on fresh vegetables and you do seem to have a sweet tooth. Perhaps you can try to re-educate your palate and try to stay away from maple syrup, that type of sugary sweet thing even if it is a low fat version and settle for fruit salad instead. And try and include lots of vegetables of all colours - if you are a big eater you can have a lot of vegetables for relatively little calories. Steer clear of bread, potatoes, pasta, rice, all high in carbohydrates. You have an extremely high carbohydrate reading.Carbohydrates for me have been a stumbling block in the past - once I keep an eye on them my weight starts to shift quickly and now that I have found MFP I am finding it much easier to stay on track - I am hoping this is the last time I have to do it. Perhaps also change potassium as one of the nutrients you keep an eye on for fibre. I am lucky - I love vegetables and salads.

^^ this.

Out of curiosity, What did you put your activity level at?
  • Justien_c
    Options
    I would first try changing whatever you are doing for a workout. It is good to vary your workouts to keep your body from getting adjusted to what you are doing. Also, you can try upping your protein. Try to get lots of protein first thing in the morning and get a minimum of 70g of protein through the day. If none of that works, just remember that if you keep doing everything you can to lose your body will eventually give in. Sometimes we just stall out for a while while our body adjusts.
  • christibam
    christibam Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    I just posted this in the nutrition forum. Maybe it'll help you out. It's a few tips and a diet plan from my sister in law.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/506806-diet-and-exercise-tips-from-my-sister-in-law-the-fitness-mo
  • SassyCalyGirl
    SassyCalyGirl Posts: 1,932 Member
    Options
    I looked at your diary and you really are eating a lot. I think you should set your calories to 1200-1400. And cut out eating out and wine. it will help. even small amounts of alcohol upset your body's capacity to burn fat.

1830 is the amount MFP set for me. That's already below my BMR and TDEE.

But you're NOT losing weight. Play around with the settings until you find what works for you.
  • RootsWithin
    Options
    Reduce your carb, fat, and sodium intake, and increase your protein intake.
    Also, could you increase your exercise? If you are short of time, maybe workout more strenuously when you do workout.
    You could also incorporate strength training into your exercise routine.