HONESTLY are Protein shakes filling?

Options
Hi I keep reading about protein shakes BUT are thye filling would one last you 4 hours like porridge does me?

Replies

• mousepaws22
    mousepaws22 Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    I have mine with skimmed milk and it really does fill me up all morning- only just ate my lunch. I do drink it slowly though as otherwise I find it quite heavy in my stomach.
  • japruzze
    japruzze Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    Yes. They are filling.
  • kryptonitekelly
    kryptonitekelly Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    Yeah cos its full of protein which "satisfies hunger"

And in my opinion when I eat porridge, I'm starving within the next hour.
  • sandown12
    sandown12 Posts: 648 Member
    Options
    I may buy some for breakfast thankyou x
  • kryptonitekelly
    kryptonitekelly Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    It's not everyone's cup of tea!

My friend gave me a sample of hers to try...you can sometimes buy small testing pouches!
  • sandown12
    Options
    Think I will look online Im in a small town nothing here sadly x
  • Pfauxmeh
    Pfauxmeh Posts: 259
    Options
    I like to make mine with a bunch of different things, like fruits and cottage cheese.
  • hopeC12
    Options
    Protein and fat are both filling (fat more so), but you have to be careful that the shakes aren't full of sugar, because that would make them terribly unhealthy. It's hard to find supposed health food that isn't full of tons of sugar to make it more palatable, but there are some kinds of protein bars that have less sugar and are very filling.
  • jgriff216
    Options
    yeah man
  • MisterDubs303
    MisterDubs303 Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    I add a 1/4 cup of dried oats to my protein shakes, anyway (when I use a blender). So yes.
    When at home, there is no limit to the possibilities of what you can blend with protein powder. It's a great supplement in my opinion, and part of my daily diet.
  • vmclach
    vmclach Posts: 670 Member
    Options
    um.. depends. I personally only drink them after I work out. I end up being full for less than an hour, but that's because I don't eat for 3 hours before I work out, and I burn a lot when I work out. However, if you were to do it as a meal replacement or something, I would say yes! it would be filling.
  • girliegirl3773
    girliegirl3773 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I drink one every morning and I love it! It's fast and easy, and it usually keeps me full until lunch. I make mine with protein powder, nutritional mix, and instant coffee. I hate "diet food" and I love this! Plus, I feel like I have more energy because of all of the protein.
    Good luck!
  • Still_Fluffy
    Still_Fluffy Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    I use the ones from GNC with breakfast. I add in a banana or some strawberries. It helps with the taste and it fills me up better
  • Brandie1029
    Brandie1029 Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    I ALWAYS drink a protein shake in the morning along with my oatmeal. Fills me up until lunch!
  • iNkedFiTmama
    iNkedFiTmama Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    This is me, exactly
    um.. depends. I personally only drink them after I work out. I end up being full for less than an hour, but that's because I don't eat for 3 hours before I work out, and I burn a lot when I work out. However, if you were to do it as a meal replacement or something, I would say yes! it would be filling.
  • Becky_Boodle
    Becky_Boodle Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    Definitely filling!!!
    I like to blend my protien powder with a cup of frozen berries and a cup of water :)
  • mskari77
    mskari77 Posts: 142
    Options
    I also drink mine with skim milk, and they are filling. I drink mine within half an hour after training (which is usually around 2pm) , and am satisfied until dinner which is usually around 6:00. I also usually try and drink one before bed as well.
    My husband and I have tried a TON of different brands. We have found the best one (in taste and nutrients) is Optimum Nutrition brand 100% Whey Protein...we buy it at bodybuilding.com. The vanilla cream and strawberry banana are our favorites.
  • EuroDriver12
    EuroDriver12 Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    uuugh, people always look into protein shakes its like a gimmick now days... "oh i jogg and excersise..... i better go buy protein powder or ill fall apart".............. protein shakes are a supplement/meal replacement... so the only reason you should be taking protein shakes is if you ur protein intake levels are supposed to hit 250g+ then yes its understandful that you are not goign to get enough food in yourself...

now for number 1 you are a women (low calories already) and you are trying to loose weight(so ofcores you like to eat and get hungry like we all do..) then why would u want to add 120calories of water with some poweder in it as a meal??? for 120calories you could eat a can of tuna with some lettuce or 100g of chicken breast with some mixed veggies... alot more filling, cheaper, tastier, better proteins.......

just think bout it..... the only reason to have ur protein shake is if you are late for work or you just got out of the gym n have to go somewhere right after n dont have time to go home eat.... other than that.... fooods.. solid healthy foods i tell ya! :P
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    Liquid calories are rarely filling. Lean meat is far more filling than a protein shake.
  • sandown12
    Options
    Think your right Id rather have proper food just stuck on what to have for breakfasts that will fill me up?