Staying CLEAN on a Roadtrip

Options
I've been eating clean since January. The end of next week I am leaving on a 3 week long road trip. Due to my passengers health, we won't be driving more than 6 hours on any given day, so finding time to walk or hit the hotel gym shouldn't be too hard. They are both diabetic, but aren't the least discriminate about what they put in their mouth so staying "clean" on this trip will take lots of forethought and determination on my part.

I can think of lots of things I could pack that would be okay for a few days, but not the entire 3 weeks. How do you stay clean eating at restaurants and hotel breakfast bars? I need specific tips and tricks beyond water, apples and nuts please!

Replies

• Cosmic_Unicorn
    Cosmic_Unicorn Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    You can always stop at grocery stores every few days to buy fruit, veggies, bags of salad, granola bars, etc. On my routine drives from Canada to Mexico we bring a cooler that plugs into the cigarette lighter and fill it up with things like that.
  • meemo88
    meemo88 Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    at breakfast see if they have boiled eggs.....eat the whites.
    have ur toast dry no butter
    lots of fruit
    if they have turkey sausage or bacon go for that.
    low fat yogurt

restaurants stick with ur grilled chicken, fish, or shrimp. get salad with dressing on the side. get a side of steamed or grilled veggies.

in the car get some fiber one brownies, granola bars, special k cracker chips all these are decent amount for low calories.
  • AHealthierSuzyQ
    Options
    I don't do anything artificial or highly processed so most anything shelf stable is out. THAT is my challenge.
  • mlang1955
    mlang1955 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Does that mean that Kashi brand snacks and cereals are out??? I am also trying to eliminate as much processed foods from my diet as possible, however, I thought Kashi was a good choice for a portable snack. I like the Dark Chocolate Coconut bars which do contain 7 g of sugar (cane sugar, honey), however, it does contain a blend of 7 whole grains,etc,. See nutrition link: http://www.kashi.com/products/tlc_fruit_grain_bars_dark_chocolate_coconut
  • RonSwanson66
    RonSwanson66 Posts: 1,150 Member
    Options
    Key to staying clean on the road:

51AEJJV98QL._SL500_AA300_.jpg
  • AHealthierSuzyQ
    Options
    :laugh: Ron, I don't think I can EAT those! :wink:
  • AHealthierSuzyQ
    Options
    Does that mean that Kashi brand snacks and cereals are out??? I am also trying to eliminate as much processed foods from my diet as possible, however, I thought Kashi was a good choice for a portable snack. I like the Dark Chocolate Coconut bars which do contain 7 g of sugar (cane sugar, honey), however, it does contain a blend of 7 whole grains,etc,. See nutrition link: http://www.kashi.com/products/tlc_fruit_grain_bars_dark_chocolate_coconut

I am suspicious of anything that has the word isolate in the ingredients. Isolate = highly refined whatever

I make my own granola bars and oatmeal muffins instead.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Key to staying clean on the road:

51AEJJV98QL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Alan Aragon said it best. The best way to eat clean?
    "Wash your food."
  • okerachel
    okerachel Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I'm with the cooler idea. When I was little my mother used to drag us all around the country with nothing more than a econo-line and a cooler. We never stopped at restaurants and I honestly believe she kept all three kids and my dad all fed by mother-magic alone but I do remember sandwiches... lots of sandwiches... Its a running joke between my husband and I that sandwiches are a road trip staple :).

I always pack a loaf of bread, a jar of peanut butter and some jam. If you are worried about it staying cool in the cooler, pack honey instead. Fresh fruit makes a great morning snack (and is good at room temperature for several days), veggies with your sandwich for lunch. Since you will probably be off the road by dinner time, insist that you go to a sit-down restaurant. I always ask for a to-go box as soon as I order my dinner, half the portions and stick them in there as soon as you get the plate. If its on the plate, you're going to eat it whether you're hungry or not. Swap out french fries for a healthy side like steamed veggies. Plus, stick that to-go box in the cooler and you have lunch for tomorrow!
  • Walden Farms makes amazing dressings that you can pack for your trip. They are fat & calorie free! I have tried most flavors, and I really like the asian dressing or the honey dijon. and you can always find grilled chicken to add to a green salad...even at a truck stop! They may individual packets but I usually grab a bottle & put it in a ziploc for my purse. Good luck on the road!
  • AHealthierSuzyQ
    Options
    Most bread and lunch meats are not clean so I won't be doing sandwiches... I can think of plenty of things to leave home with. Just stressing about what to do when that supply runs out and I don't have a kitchen to cook in...
  • taxidermist15
    taxidermist15 Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    I need to bump this. I have a 6 week road trip from washington to california, and we are doing it on the cheap. no hotels, camping ect

i was thinking air dried fruit, like apple slices. one of those BIG bags of baby carrots from costco and snow peas will be my "chips" (mindless driving snack), picking up lots of bags of 100 cal popcorn (dunno how "clean" this is to you) and popping them whenever we start a fire. Might pick up a tub of greek yoghurt, not so sure yet.. lol

any more ideas keep em coming
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options
    I've been eating clean since January. The end of next week I am leaving on a 3 week long road trip. Due to my passengers health, we won't be driving more than 6 hours on any given day, so finding time to walk or hit the hotel gym shouldn't be too hard. They are both diabetic, but aren't the least discriminate about what they put in their mouth so staying "clean" on this trip will take lots of forethought and determination on my part.

I can think of lots of things I could pack that would be okay for a few days, but not the entire 3 weeks. How do you stay clean eating at restaurants and hotel breakfast bars? I need specific tips and tricks beyond water, apples and nuts please!

Small / Medium cooler with Fage greek yogurt, fresh vegetables and fruit. Home made jerky or pemmican (made from bison, turkey or beef), raw nuts.

You could make these granola bars, they are clean (fit for both Paleo and Vegan lifestyles, which are both very clean eaters)

Ingredients:
    1 ½ cups slivered almonds
    2 cups finely shredded unsweetened coconut
    1/3 cup raw sunflower seeds
    1/3 cup raw pepitas (hulled pumpkin seeds)
    1 Tbsp sesame seeds
    ½ cup blanched almond flour
    1/3 cup extra virgin coconut oil, melted
    ¼ cup unsweetened, natural almond butter
    ¼ cup honey
    1 tsp vanilla
    ¾ tsp baking soda
    1 Tbsp ground flax seed
    1½ Tbsp water
    ¾ cup mini chocolate chips or your favorite chopped dried fruit (optional)

1. Preheat oven to 325F. Grease a 9”x13” baking pan with coconut oil.
    2. Mix ground flax seed with water and let sit for 3-4 minutes.
    3. Pulse pepitas in a food processor a couple of times to break up to the size of sunflower seeds.
    4. Add coconut oil, almond butter, honey and vanilla to flax goop and mix well.
    5. Add almond flour and baking soda and stir to combine.
    6. Add slivered almonds, shredded coconut, pepitas, sunflower seeds, sesame seeds and chocolate chips or dried fruit. Stir to combine.
    7. Spoon batter into prepared baking pan. Spread out and flatten well with your hand or the back of a spatula.
    8. Bake for 22-23 minutes, until golden brown. They will puff up slightly while baking, so immediately after removing from the oven, flatten the bars with the back of a spatula (or something else heat resistant and flat).
    9. Let cool completely in pan before cutting into bars (I actually like to refrigerate before cutting). Cut into bars (I usually get 18-20) and wrap individual bars in plastic wrap for easy travel (optional). I prefer to store these in the refrigerator.
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options

In my book, Kashi products are still too over processed. Then again, I don't eat any grains any longer.

I had a bagel last week and have had arthritis and fibromyalgia symptoms again...............Never again.
  • AHealthierSuzyQ
    Options
    :drinker: Keep the recipes and ideas coming!
  • mlang1955
    Options
    Suzy, Thanks for the education on Isolate. Did a little research on the Internet and found the following information for those that are interested. The “good” from the Soy Beans Association: http://www.soyfoods.org/soy-information/soy-fact-sheets/soy-protein-isolate-fact-sheet The “bad” from the LiveStrong/Lance Armstrong Foundation: http://www.livestrong.com/article/261991-the-dangers-of-soy-protein-isolate/
    Giving up the convenience of my bars is going to be difficult.
  • mlang1955
    Options
    NatureMade, How long do those bars keep in the refrigerator??? Recipe sounds easy!
  • Never2Bz
    Never2Bz Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    All things in my car do not need refrigeration. White cheddar rice cakes feed the need for salt & cheese (40 cals each), Cherry Mixed Fruit is 70 cals per container (by Dole or generic located on canned fruit shelves), can of Equate Ultra Weight Loss Shake as a meal is only 170 cals, and I love StarKist Tuna Salad in a pouch (100 cals) spread on 2 slices of Sara Lee 45 cal/slice bread. I even have 'Captain America' Fruit Flavored Snack by Kellogg on hand if I need something sweet. It's a little pouch that's reasonable in cals and fun to pop in your mouth! Love road trips... enjoy yours! Find Subway often for a sandwich, and dinners are good at Applebee's because they have a '550 cal and under' listing, and I just truly enjoyed a light salmon dish at Chili's last night! Only 480 cals.
  • realpure
    realpure Posts: 156
    Options
    I have been doing this research myself. Finding portable food challenging as well as anything that has a shelf life. Wish I had 2 refrigerators instead of a pantry.

Could you bring one frozen cooler to transfer at night to hotel cooler. I'm thinking flash freeze beans in layers with parchment paper in between. As you need pull off new layer and keep frozen?
  • AHealthierSuzyQ
    Options
    Found a recipe online for a clean healthy version of Rice Krispy Treats made with puffed brown rice, which I can buy at Walmart:
    http://weelicious.com/2009/07/19/brown-rice-crisp-wee-treats/