Would Less Cardio Be More Effective?

Options
Hey guys! I'm not usually one to post a topic, because I read pretty much everything that's posted...but I really have been wishy washy about this decision and would love some help from people who have been there done that.

It's sort of similar to a merry-go-round around here, lol...topics and people just go round and round with different info.

"Don't do this, do that, don't eat X amount, eat this, eat that, don't do this or you'll lose muscle, etc etc.." I'm sure you all know the drill. Some people swearing by this, and linking articles, and then other people swearing the complete opposite is true and linking more articles.

I am looking for people's opinions on exercise. I'll tell you some stuff about my background, what I'm currently doing that's been working, etc....but I really feel like I could be more efficient, and cause a little less stress on myself. My mother is sick with cancer so I'm sure my cortisol is already out of control...I'm thinking my exercising might be as well. I've just been scared to change it up because I don't want to get use to not going so often; and am also scared of not burning as many calories.

I have tracked calories on loseit since December; and all of my recipes were there, so I continue to actually log them there because of easiness. I just quick add the calories at the end of each day on here, and input my exercise. I prefer MFP since I started using it..I like the community better..I just have SO many recipes on loseit it makes it hard to switch over. So, if anyone wants to view my eating logs, I can try and figure out how to do that.

Currently:
*Have lost 53 lbs to date. Since September 2011. I am 5'5". I could still lose another 100 lbs and be at a healthy weight range for my height.
* I drink between 8-12 glasses of water per day.
* Eat between 1200 at a minimum-1800 calories per day. Depending on my hunger, exercise, etc.
BMR calculations have me at 1800, HOWEVER, I have read a lot about how if I have a higher body fat %, it's likely that number is more around 1500...so that is why I choose to hover between 1500-1600 calories ideally.
* I never have a "cheat" day. I do go out once in a while to eat, and always order as healthy as possible. Looking up calories, and round up on what the restaraunts says is in it. However, even when I have an "indulgence meal" I still manage to stay around my goal calories for the day.
* I rarely eat back exercise calories. It is VERY hard for me to do. I was not a big eater to begin with. My stomach is simply too small and my mom is sick with cancer; so my apetite is not big due to stress. I try and fit in snacks, choc milk, etc to up my calories on days I feel like I would be netting too low. Plus, I assume calories burned are over estimated, so I don't want to eat them back.
* I do not eat hardly anything ever with artificial sweetners. I do not drink any calories except my organic milk in the morning, and occasionally a glass of organic choc milk post-workout. I stick with lean proteins, fruits, veggies, whole grains, and minimal things like a tiny bit of organic butter on an english muffin, etc, if need be. Always measure everything even my fruit and veggies, I'm OCD.
*Important things to mention also in this are: I have PCOS...but do take metformin for this. I avoid white carbs for the most part because of this...Also, I work a desk job 7.5 hours per day. Other than my cardio, cleaning, cooking, chores, etc...I'd say I'm sedentary.

*Example of my exercise per week:
-Monday - 5 minutes cardio warm up; 20-30 minutes upper body strength training (heavy weights); then 35-50 minutes of moderate cardio exercise. My heart rate stays around 158-176 for the main duration of cardio
-Tuesday - 5 minutes of cardio warm up; 20 minutes of lower body strength training/squats with free weights; then 35 minutes of cardio (my top choice is arc trainer/elliptical usually)
-Wednesday - Cardio only day; 35-55 minutes. Arc Trainer/Bike/Treadmill at an incline. Heart rate 158-176 usually.
-Thursday - 5 minutes cardio warm up; 20-30 minutes upper body strength training (heavy weights); then 35-50 minutes of moderate cardio exercise. My heart rate stays around 158-176 for the main duration of cardio
- Friday - Occassionally take the day off; but usually cardio only day like Wednesday. This is because Sat Morning I go hardcore.
- Saturday - - 5 minutes of cardio warm up; 40 minutes of full body strength training/squats/dead lifts with free weights; then 50 minutes of cardio (my top choice is arc trainer/elliptical usually)
- Sunday - Day off

Sometimes if the gym is closed, or I'm out of town I do different cardio..like C25K...or fast pace walking with sprints often to keep my heart rate up.

My question is:

I notice by the end of the week every week. ( I mean EVERY SINGLE week for months) I stop losing weight. Then Monday-Wednesdays if I am going to lose weight, that's when I do...it always seems to follow a day off. Also, I've read how too much cardio can cause the release of cortisol, which would then hinder my weight loss..or maybe cause my muscles to retain a lot of water perhaps?

Anyhow....

Do you think I'd benefit from decreasing the amount of cardio I do? Meaning, doing it 4 days a week instead of 5-6? I was thinking perhaps it would give my body a little break from the "stress", and perhaps actually help me in my weight loss by not making me retain as much water, and also allowing it to repair the muscles more efficiently since I have been eating at a deficit for some time now.

I don't, however, want to do this if you think it would actually slow my weight loss considerably. I don't feel too tired to work out..and also since I was such a lazy person/inactive before...I'm scared I wouldn't be as in-shape by cutting back to 4 days per week.

I read so much mixed info....it's hard to know what is accurate. Some things say "30 minutes of cardio every day"...and many people on here say that will burn out your body and maybe slow weight loss...

Replies

• jna1957
    Options
    try two days off back to back
  • zafferFL
    zafferFL Posts: 402
    Options
    I'll probably get into trouble, but I like to split cardio and weights to totally separate days.
    Less time in the gym and I get to focus on one aspect a lot more without worrying about whether or not I will have energy for the next exercise.
  • Setof2Keys
    Setof2Keys Posts: 681 Member
    Options
    I have plateaued for months. I took a couple weeks off and finally broke my plateau. I also have been slamming more and more water. I will wait until my next weigh in to make sure I broke plateau since I keep fluctuating...gggrrr I was working out 5-6 times a week with over 900 cal burns. It was way too much on my body at this stage. I too could stand to lose about another 87 pounds.
  • kristi54321
    Options
    Honesty your body needs time off and your body also needs a "cheat" meal at least once a month- just to throw it off. Your body get used to what your doing and it becomes less effective. Keep you body guessing and allow your body to recover- however congrats on the work done so far!
  • Setof2Keys
    Setof2Keys Posts: 681 Member
    Options

good article! Thank you. This also explained my plateau (I think) and I also deal with adrenal fatigue, which was being fueled these issues.
  • glennstoudt
    glennstoudt Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you are well organized and have been very successful so far, so don't overlook that aspect. Have you considered training in a range of 55% to 75% of maximum heart rate? Since I don't know your age, I can't say what that is of course, but there is plenty of evidence that cardio in a hear trate approaching the maximum does indeed set up a competition for body resources and can inhibit weight loss. Building muscle and losing weight at the same time, there is also plenty of evidence that it is difficult, some say impossible. Since you are strength training and particularly if you are upping your duration or weights over time, that is evidence that you may be reducing body fat but not necessarily losing weight. Just some things to think about. Start surfing the net on your lunch break today for information, there is plenty of opinion and when you find something that you think might work for you, try it out. Good luck in your new challenges.
  • chosengiver
    chosengiver Posts: 1,493
    Options
    BUMP for future reference!
  • marycmeadows
    marycmeadows Posts: 1,691 Member
    Options
    "I rarely eat back exercise calories. It is VERY hard for me to do. I was not a big eater to begin with. My stomach is simply too small and my mom is sick with cancer; so my apetite is not big due to stress. I try and fit in snacks, choc milk, etc to up my calories on days I feel like I would be netting too low. Plus, I assume calories burned are over estimated, so I don't want to eat them back."

You should always eat back some if not all of your exercise calories. period.
  • lglg11
    lglg11 Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    Bumping for links :)
  • jennifer127
    Options
    Bump- thanks for info.
  • anfmusicgrl
    anfmusicgrl Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    You should always eat back some if not all of your exercise calories. period.

While I understand this, and NORMALLY would not have an issue doing this...like I said I have a lot going on in my life and am significantly stressed about my mother..This tends to suppress my apetite, so that is somewhat out of my control. I make sure to eat more calories on big burn days, and also must take into consideration the burns are probably being overestimated. I eat little snacks throughout day to boost up my calories like low fat cheese sticks, greek yogurt, fruit, veggies with greek yogurt dip, etc... I have been proactive in assuring I am not in starvation mode. Thank you though for touching on that point though. I agree it's important, and did it before, and will do it again once I am able to get through this difficult time.

I have not plateaued, and my losses have been very consistent with my current eating. I never, ever eat less than 1200. My question really is more about making my cardio plan most efficient for weight loss, and not burning out my body or stressing it out too much. I've been losing for 5-6 months, and I tend to have sort of a calorie zig zag pattern.

The links you all posted were awesome- so thank you to you all. I really got a good idea of different things to take into consideration. Thank you as well to those of you who have given tips. I am always willing to try different things, and see how they work for me.

To answer one person's question: I am 27 years old. Also, to answer another: I do watch my Heart Rate during working out. I often times have tried to work out at a lower range of my heart rate; but for some strange reason, once I begin cardio (5 minutes in until the finish) my heart rate just does not dip below 158ish. My resting heart rate is not high...so I'm not sure what the reason is. It has however, been like this my entire life. I had an EKG done, and everything is ok with my heart...My body just reacts to cardio in a strong way, lol. Even with strength training, it's not unusual for my heart rate to be at 150-160.

Some things I think I am going to try will be as follows: (and I will find out what works best for me, makes me feel the best!)

-Cut back cardio to about 4 days per week instead of 6. In hopes to cut back on the stress on my body from working out.
    -Try and separate my cardio and strength workouts more often (which should be easier since I'll not be doing cardio 6 days/week now. Hopefully, this will allow me to perform at a better capacity at both.
    - I'm going to try and change one of my cardio gym days a week to a class like Zumba now that I feel much more comfortable working out in front of people, to change up things for my body.
    -Try doing 2 days off in a row sometimes, see if that helps with my water retention. I KNOW it's happening. I've been losing long enough to really start noticing the bloating/swelling of limbs when it happens...and it happens towards the end of the week, after I've worked out like 5 or 6 days in a row.

One thing I want to do is dead lifts!! I do squats w/ the bar, free weights, and machines..but I am nervous to dead lift because I'm scared I won't be using proper form and the guys will look at me like I'm stupid..lol..

Like I said, I'm just trying to be more efficient with my time, and a little kinder to my body :) Also...I think it's good to do this..because if I were to ever hit a plateau...I would have the option of increasing exercise..where as right now, if I were to hit one..it would be hard, lol..since I was doing so much cardio.

If anyone else has anymore tips or information about balancing cardio with strength training, please let me know! (Or any good tips about how to start dead lifting!) You guys are awesome, and I really appreciate all of the things you gave me to think about and try incorporating in my fitness and weight loss journey! :flowerforyou:
  • SandyMilton
    Options
    definitely bumping for easy finding and links!