Getting fit = awful complexion!!

Options
I have been loving the results I am getting since joining mfp (about a year ago) but my skin just keeps getting progressively worse...it's not what I would call acne..it's just bumpy and overall looks horrible...I have lots of red marks on my temples also..but they aren't actual zits you can pop or do anything about. plus I have the occasional cystic pimple that is really deep and u can't do much about those either!!

Does anyone else have the same experiences or know some solutions?

I take a multi vitamin, CLA, b-12, biotin, calcium, plus I have recently started consuming about 120 g of protein a day....

Replies

• MariaMariaM
    MariaMariaM Posts: 1,322 Member
    Options
    In theory, if you are eating clean foods that are not overly processed, your complexion should benefit from it. I know mine improved when I changed my eating and workout habits about 2 years ago.

When possible, I eat foods that are organic and unprocessed (or minimally processed). I don't consume anything that has additives, artificial colors, flavors, etc. I even when as far as using beauty products that are as natural as possible.

Did you change anything in your skincare routine that might contribute to this?
  • sblair77
    sblair77 Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    Could be an allergy to one of your vitamins. IMO I would cut out the daily multi.

You also may be allergic to the type of whey you take.

I've read that certain people with gluten or dairy allergies break out from consumption.

I started using proactive and my face did get worse for the first month but has been mostly clear ever since. That was two years ago. When I do get a bump I quickly use my burtbee's tea tree oil blemish stick and it is gone by the end of the day.

You don't wear make up to work out do you? Do you wash your face quickly after before the sweat dries? You may want to just start trying different things and cutting all vitamins and gluten and dairy from your diet for 30 days while eating extra clean and then add things back in one by one.

You should be able to find quickly who the culprit is.

Ok it's before my coffee so I am babbling :-( I hope this makes sense
  • JenAiMarres
    JenAiMarres Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    I started using the clarasonic Mia in oct and noticed it taking a turn for the worse...

Sblair no unmake sense..I used to not wear any face make up but now that my skin looks worse I do!!! So it's a vicious cycle!!

I do work out in makeup..but since I only started working out more heavily I think it has more to do with the vitamins...or the protein!! Didn't think about being possibly allergic...

I forgot to add I drink apple cider vinegar shots daily mixed with water..
  • AbiNichole
    AbiNichole Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    I am constantly in a battle w/ my skin. I feel like some times it's great and sometimes it's bad.

I take the following everyday:

- GNC "Be Beautiful" hair skin nails pack
    - One- a-day Women's Active Metabolism
    - Yogi Skin DeTox tea

I've noticed improvements since I've been working out to my skin. I also get in lots of protein and work out in make up (because I go after work.) But I always wash my face when I get home. Not sure what the culprit is in your case but I would suggest upping your green veggies- on weeks when I'm getting in lots of green veggies I feel like it's better.

And it may be a placebo or perhaps I just like the taste but I LOVE that yogi tea- it's helped some too.

Just a theory- and I'm not an expert but... do you use a concealer or primer? I feel like that is especially bad to sweat in because the whole point of those products is to fill in your pores to make your skin look smoother. When you sweat the pores are already blocked w/ product and so the sweat doesn't have anywhere to go and just chills in your pores. Makes for an unhealthy complexion.

Best of luck!:flowerforyou:
  • carrotstick
    Options
    could definitely be allergic reaction - as far as the make-up goes, I've been in your place! I'm now using Physician's Formula mineral powder foundation and it has GREAT full coverage (you wouldn't think so being that it's just a powder) and it goes on delicately so it doesn't upset your skin and there is a lot of breathability. It's far better than liquid foundation, which clogs pores and is awful to keep up when exercising and reapplying. Make sure you get a good make-up remover (I like Yes To Carrots eye and make up remover) and moisturizer for night (again, Yes To Carrots line is really good - and Yes To Tomatoes for problem skin). If it persists, I recommend seeing a dermatologist to clear it up.
  • sblair77
    sblair77 Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    (I like Yes To Carrots eye and make up remover) and moisturizer for night (again, Yes To Carrots line is really good - and Yes To Tomatoes for problem skin).

I can't use anything with carrot, tomatoes, cucumber, berries...etc on my skin. I have a skin allergy and it will break me out in tiny red bumps. I can eat all I want so long as I don't get any on my face. I always want to use it though! I think the packaging draws me in!
  • FlipThis112
    FlipThis112 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I would go and see a dermatologist. I finally did and it was the best decision I have made for my skin.
  • marquesajen
    Options
    Somethin glike this happened to me last summer. I think it must've been from sweating SO much more than normal, so I started scrubbing my face with baking soda and then rinsing it off whenever I finished a workout. Did the trick pretty quickly.
  • galegetsthin
    galegetsthin Posts: 1,352 Member
    Options
    The neutrogena grapefruit cleanser saved my skin.
  • withervein
    withervein Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Water, water, water! It sounds like a hydration issue.

What do you wash your face with? It may be too harsh. Skin can overreact, case in point, I've always had very oily skin and even after I started using Clinique for combination (its expensive, it has to work better, right?) it just got dry on my forehead then oiler everywhere else. Turns out the detergents were too harsh for me. I use an aloe-based, alcohol free, cleansing system now and it's actually made me less oily, despite starting with the set for oily and blemished skin. It's not too harsh, so my skin doesn't over produce in reaction to being overdried. It's called L'Bri. I won't say any more about it because I sell it and don't want to be chastised for advertising.

Find a gentle cleanser/moisturizing set you like, avoid alcohols, parabens and harsh detergents if possible, and use it twice a day, morning and night. When you use your moisturizer, add a bit of water to it to help everything soak up as much moisture as possible.
  • leojsivad
    leojsivad Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    If you don't want to go to an allergist/dermatologist, you are going to have to do some investigative experiments.

1. Think over your day and think about if there is anything that makes you feel itchy or weird after using it. Skin creams, foods, ect. If yes, cut out that item and see it if helps over the course of a couple of weeks.

2. I have known many people that get breakouts from soda consumption. Maybe?

3. If none of this works, go to the doctor!
  • myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member
    Options
    It could be that increasing blood flow through exercise causes an initial flushing out of toxins / cellular junky stuff (technical term I know) and temporarily causes a flare up of acne like systems. I would also guess that shifting towards a more healthy lifestyle may affect your hormones again causing a temporary problem.

This is all speculation on my part but it may well be if you keep well hydrated, keep exercising and eating healthily these symptoms will disappear and you will be left with a healthy, glowing complexion.

I don't know how you could look prettier than you do now but that must be something to look forward to!
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    Main things that spring to mind are check to make sure you're getting plenty of fat and plenty of water.
  • CoryIda
    CoryIda Posts: 7,887 Member
    Options
    Hmm... My complexion improved about 1000000% when I started getting fit - plenty of water, good nutrition, and good old fashioned exercise seemed to do wonders for it.

Are you taking funny pills or something? Not washing your face well? Hmm...
  • angied80
    angied80 Posts: 749
    Options
    I have the exact SAME problem. Since I started working out and eating clean. My skin has gotten horrible. Even my bf has commented on it. I have tried losts of stuff. I use face wipes directly after the gym. Then I shower once I get home. I have tried several diffrent face washes. I am currenlty using Pro Active. Its the only thing that has helped, but it seems to work for a big then stops. Ill stop using it for a week and start again. So aggravating. My skin was never perfect but no as bad as its been.
  • infamousmk
    infamousmk Posts: 6,033 Member
    Options
    I wear makeup to work out almost every day, and my skin hasn't changed at all.... I'm going to second the comments that it's probably an allergic reaction to something in a multi vitamin or supplement. If your makeup is good quality it should not break you out, even if you're sweating. Also, you mentioned that the bumps are near your temples and hairline - you could just need to change shampoos or one of your styling products.

Have you changed your cleansing routine a lot? Sometimes OVER-cleansing can cause breakouts. Your best bet is to use a gentle, natural cleanser once before bed and once in the morning.
  • caramel1920
    Options
    I have the exact SAME problem. Since I started working out and eating clean. My skin has gotten horrible. Even my bf has commented on it. I have tried losts of stuff. I use face wipes directly after the gym. Then I shower once I get home. I have tried several diffrent face washes. I am currenlty using Pro Active. Its the only thing that has helped, but it seems to work for a big then stops. Ill stop using it for a week and start again. So aggravating. My skin was never perfect but no as bad as its been.

Ditto, I started using ProActiv and it cleared my mess up! Also make sure you wash your face as soon as possible after your workouts, make up or no make up! I have always had iffy skin and it takes a while to figure out what works, I have had to change hair products as well! Good luck and you look beautiful! Here's to looking more beautiful!:drinker:
  • Cindym82
    Cindym82 Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    I started using the clarasonic Mia in oct and noticed it taking a turn for the worse...

Sblair no unmake sense..I used to not wear any face make up but now that my skin looks worse I do!!! So it's a vicious cycle!!

I do work out in makeup..but since I only started working out more heavily I think it has more to do with the vitamins...or the protein!! Didn't think about being possibly allergic...

I forgot to add I drink apple cider vinegar shots daily mixed with water..

NEVER ever ever work out and/or sleep with make up on!!! That is the worst thing you can do and that's more then likely 100% why you are breaking out
  • 2fit4fat
    2fit4fat Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    Could be an allergy to one of your vitamins. IMO I would cut out the daily multi.

You also may be allergic to the type of whey you take.

I've read that certain people with gluten or dairy allergies break out from consumption.

I started using proactive and my face did get worse for the first month but has been mostly clear ever since. That was two years ago. When I do get a bump I quickly use my burtbee's tea tree oil blemish stick and it is gone by the end of the day.

You don't wear make up to work out do you? Do you wash your face quickly after before the sweat dries? You may want to just start trying different things and cutting all vitamins and gluten and dairy from your diet for 30 days while eating extra clean and then add things back in one by one.

You should be able to find quickly who the culprit is.

^^^^this
  • kealambert
    kealambert Posts: 961 Member
    Options
    I have been loving the results I am getting since joining mfp (about a year ago) but my skin just keeps getting progressively worse...it's not what I would call acne..it's just bumpy and overall looks horrible...I have lots of red marks on my temples also..but they aren't actual zits you can pop or do anything about. plus I have the occasional cystic pimple that is really deep and u can't do much about those either!!

Does anyone else have the same experiences or know some solutions?

I take a multi vitamin, CLA, b-12, biotin, calcium, plus I have recently started consuming about 120 g of protein a day....
    this happened to me on my thighs, and on my face

I've found that I have to do excessive washing after working out and before bed, which has made a huge improvement. I don't know the CAUSE, but that's been my solution