The Best and Worst Sushi for Weight Loss

Options

Replies

• puppy1002
    puppy1002 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    The best sushi is what you love and will make you feel satisfied and happy.

I adore sushi, but I don't have it very often. When I do, it's a treat. I'm not going to waste a treat on choosing something lower cal or fat that I might not enjoy as much.

I agree it's a treat when I have sushi so I'm not going to worry about if it's good for me or not. Now if I eat it all the time okay I'll watch what I'm eating...... But thanks for the tips will consider them if I start eating it more often!
  • osusars
    Options
    Awesome! Thanks.
  • tangie82
    tangie82 Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the post!
  • Ajones33
    Options
    I agree, I don't want to settle with Sushi..I love my Butterfly roll& Black Dragon roll..I just had some Saturday and still had weight loss this week.

Portion size! :bigsmile:
  • celticmuse
    celticmuse Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    I love sushi, but try to limit myself. I agree with most of the suggestions, except for the brown rice. I eat brown rice with other meals, but I don't think sushi is quite the same experience without the white sushi rice. Yum!
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    I don't think I've ever met a sushi roll I didn't like...but I gravitate toward rolls with avocado in them. My favorites at my local place are the dragon roll (shrimp tempura, eel, masago, and avocado) and dynamite roll (like a spicy tuna but with yellowtail and avocado).
  • 76tech
    76tech Posts: 1,455 Member
    Options
    I eat more sushi than seems reasonable in a land-locked suburb. Chirashi, every time. This way I can control the portion of rice that I eat.
  • penelepurr
    penelepurr Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    "worst sushi"? I haven't heard that oxymoron before.

:tongue:
  • Stacera
    Stacera Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    now I'm hungry.. and craving sushi.... I :heart: sushi.
  • DBiddle69
    DBiddle69 Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    "Sample Soba

"Try dishes with soba noodles, made from the whole grain buckwheat," Clark says. "Soba is a higher-fiber, higher-protein alternative to traditional white rice." "

I miss living in Japan!! My favorite dish is Yakisoba....shrimp in particular...I like both the formal and the festival styles...having a hard time finding a true Japanese version of the formal (dinner/lunch) style....one resteraunt served spaghetti noodles with it!
    And they said they were authentic!! DOH!!
  • wisebadger53
    wisebadger53 Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    The best sushi is what you love and will make you feel satisfied and happy.

I adore sushi, but I don't have it very often. When I do, it's a treat. I'm not going to waste a treat on choosing something lower cal or fat that I might not enjoy as much.

^ This. I do restrain myself from over-indulging, but do not restrict my choices when I hit the sushi restaurant. I would rather thoroughly enjoy a reasonable amount of sushi than make my selections based on calories alone. It helps if you go with others so you can order different rolls and share! :drinker:
  • IronmanPanda
    IronmanPanda Posts: 2,083 Member
    Options
    Unagi!

I eat all the sushi!
  • hollyberry2012
    Options
    I am rolling my very first sushi roll tonight for supper and steaming some chicken and veggies in my new bamboo steamer over my new wok.

I'm going to make my portion sizes small and concentrate on making our meal beautiful and simple.

I got some of my ingredients and hardware at World Market at amazingly low prices.

Wish me luck.
  • infamousmk
    infamousmk Posts: 6,033 Member
    Options
    I am rolling my very first sushi roll tonight for supper and steaming some chicken and veggies in my new bamboo steamer over my new wok.

I'm going to make my portion sizes small and concentrate on making our meal beautiful and simple.

I got some of my ingredients and hardware at World Market at amazingly low prices.

Wish me luck.

Life: You're doing it right!!!!!!
  • Heaven71
    Heaven71 Posts: 706 Member
    Options
    I made home made sushi and sashimi last night. Rolled Tuna avacado, 1/3 less fat cream cheese and wasabi in one, Sea legs, avacado and wasabi in another and Tuna, wasabi and avacado in the 3rd. I absolutely LOVE raw Tuna so we had some Tuna Sashimi with it. My daughter and I were almost fighting over it, it was sooo good. Careful with the wasabi, too much could hurt.
  • SaSSyhasCurls
    Options
    This is great, I love sushi and have been avoiding it due to all the crunchiness I usually like with it.
  • Prefessa
    Options
    Sushi in the US (Fusion Sushi) has gone the way of the Taco Salad...Its a healthy dish that we have americanized to the point it could pack on the pounds.

Choose more traditional sushi and sashimi in moderation and you will be OK.

BTW....Inside Out Sushi(Rice on the outside) is Fusion...

Traditional sushi is Maki Rolls...Sea Weed on the outside.

So fattening Spicy Crunchy Tuna Rolls are Fusion.

Ordinary Tuna or Salmon Rolls are traditional.

Also traditional are Boat Sushi, Bowl Sushi,(Churasci??) and Box Sushi(Osaka Style).

Osaka Style and Bowl Sushi has alot more rice so eat in moderation! Boat sushi has a bottom layer of rice and they wrap the nori around it forming a hollow boat, that they fill with seafood...very nice!
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    I'm not big on raw fish or avocado, so I eat really basic rolls.

The Kappa (cucumber) roll and the pickled plum rolls are my favorites. I also really love Sweet Potato Tempura rolls, but can't find them anywhere, so they don't really affect my diet...
  • JoeyTajzai
    JoeyTajzai Posts: 1,198 Member
    Options
    It's says the California Roll is 200 calories per roll.. This made me cry.
  • recriger
    recriger Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    I spent a year in Japan, and were I to ever move anywhere else Japan would be the place. what makes it difficult here is that there is a Sushi bar in the grocery store!! talk about sabotage. Cutting fish and lumping rice every time I walk by. I should probably stop asking my wife to grab some when I'm not with her. when she gets home she does one of those 2 finger dirty foul diaper lifts to get the tray out of the bag. So rude:) The look on her face is priceless.