Need to lose about 150 lbs

Options
Hey! My name is Tabitha, and I'm starting this weight loss journey because of doctor's orders. Obviously, I've known I needed to lose weight just about my entire life, but I guess I needed a kick in my butt to get me to take it seriously. No matter how many times I read about the health risks of being obese, no matter how many fad "diets" I went on, no matter how many times I cried myself to sleep because I didn't want to be fat - I just couldn't stick to it, and I wound up gaining even more weight!

Now, I'm faced with a few potential health issues. (I say potential because my doctor is currently running tests to find the correct diagnosis...or diagnoses.) I could have one or more of the following: diabetes, tachycardia, PCOS (polycystic ovary syndrome), hypo/hyperthyroidism, hormone deficiencies, high cholesterol, and/or insulin resistance. All of these come with problems of their own, such as high risk of heart disease, heart attack, blindness, infertility, and so on and so forth. There's also the possibility that I could have none of these, and something even more serious. Oh, did I mention I'm only 28 years old?

I'm a stay-at-home mother. Fortunately, that means I have the ability to cook meals at home on a regular basis. Even on days we have outings (I educate my son at home), I can pack a healthy lunch to take with me. However, I struggle with late night snacking and not eating until I'm so hungry that I can't be bothered to take the time to actually cook good food. I would love to share recipes and meal ideas with others, as well as find friends that are struggling like me and want some support.

One of my main goals is to get under 200 lbs. I know I will need to continue to lose after that, but I haven't been under 200 lbs since I was 15 years old. It would be a great accomplishment in my life! Another of my goals is to be able to get pregnant again. If I have PCOS, losing weight is key to keeping it managed - and to having the ability to add another baby or two to our family.

I look forward to new friends and new beginnings! :flowerforyou:

Replies

• Cate1898
    Cate1898 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    We're all in it together. I have some of those health risks you are being tested for. Definitely a wake up call. Friend me and we'll encourage each other!
  • rascalcat8
    Options
    You're off to a great start! I, too, would like to get back under 200 lbs, and have also been diagnosed with some of the same conditions. We're all here for you. :smile:
  • jamiesadler
    jamiesadler Posts: 634 Member
    Options
    Welcome and good luck
  • Musicalinda
    Options
    There's a group of us who are looking to lose 100 lbs or more. Send me a friend request, many of my friends are from that group. You'll be in good company. Good luck! We'll help!
  • EpicMeyri
    EpicMeyri Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Hey! Welcome to MFP! this really helped me lose some weight. I know its isn't going to be easy. For me is still difficult to lose weight. Just keep on trying :). GOOD LUCK!
  • sassygamma
    sassygamma Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Sometimes it takes a scare from our Dr to get us moving, you can do this, check out the recipe section there are some great recipes and snack ideas. Read the message boards for lots of motivations, this is a wonderful site with a lot of wonderful people and whats nice we are all here for the same reason... You can do this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • mon696
    mon696 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    It can be done! In the beginning, I would plan out a couple days of meals at a time and just follow it. It is easiest if you do not make any decisions about what you are going to eat when you are hungry. I plan out 3 meals and 3 snacks. If I don't get hungry, I am less likely to eat food I shouldn't. Sending you a friend request!
  • MomofAnt
    MomofAnt Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Oh my word! Thank you everyone for the very quick responses and the friend requests! Loving this site even more now :)
  • katyconser
    katyconser Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    welcome to MFP! it's a really great community here.. whenever i have trouble or questions, these forums are great positive reinforcement. i'll see someone's success story or even someone with a similar internal struggle and the positive responses to that are so motivating! just the act of writing down everything you eat (or typing... whatever) is a huge help! i'm sure you know where to start for your own success, but the focus that has helped me eat less is to really focus on fiber and protein consumption from the very first bite in the morning, b/c it really keeps those hunger pangs away. YOU CAN DO THIS!! always feel free to reach out when you need support :)
  • faiga
    faiga Posts: 47
    Options
    can i join too
  • lalalaleah
    Options
    You're going to do so great if you stick to it! I'm definitely cheering for you.
  • mikda999
    mikda999 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    We're in this together.
  • mpeugh28
    Options
    Welcome to MFP!!! You will succeed in your journey, together as a group we can do it. :smile: . Add me if you like.
  • skinnybearlyndsay
    skinnybearlyndsay Posts: 798 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me! We have a similar amount to lose and I'd love awesome new friends. :)
  • Dare2Believe
    Dare2Believe Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Welcome, I'm also here because of my Dr. (although, being a nurse I didn't really need him to tell me what I already knew myself!) This is a great site. Make sure and log your food intake, it is a big help. I was so surprised once I started doing this. The calories add up fast. I'm sure if I were to log a "typical" day of food for me before starting MFP my calories would have been astronomical (haven't had the nerve to do it just yet.) Good luck on your weight loss journey.
  • tonihayden
    Options
    way to getting started and with a great attiude!!
    add me..would be happy to be friends!!
  • bugtrain
    bugtrain Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    Welcome to MFP! I would love supporting you if you need more friends! Just send a request if you want! Good luck!
  • MomofAnt
    MomofAnt Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone for the friend invites, and I can't wait to get to know all of you! Please don't think me rude if I did not send you a return message with your friend request. I was trying to keep up with all of it at once - I got overwhelmed and can respond to some, but I lost track of who asked/said what. So if you don't get a reply from me (and you wrote a message in your friend request), I'm sorry!

I do remember one of you asked a very pointed question about something in my profile that you read - and I lost who it was. If it was you, can you please inbox me? I'd like to elaborate. :happy:
  • lexidell46
    Options
    You can friend me also. I have found this is the only program that has ever worked for me. Also the support system from others that is great. Thanks you all very much for being there.:flowerforyou:
  • liss0916
    Options
    Hey there :flowerforyou:

Welcome to My Fitness Pal. I would love to add you and to give you support. This site is awesome. We are all here for the same reason, so here you will never come across anyone who will criticize your weight. Welcome aboard and hang in there, you can do this… This site is freaking awesome. I’ve joined 2 weeks ago and I’ve already lost 6 pounds, (and counting). :wink: