Anyone have any suggestions about water filters?

Options
I live in the suburbs - which means I also have city/county water. I've been buying the 24 packs of bottled water...and yesterday I went through EIGHT of them...I feel bad about tossing so much plastic, as well as spending so much money. Does anyone know of any GOOD water filtration contraptions? Anyone have the actual Brita Bottle with the filter in it?

ETA: I'd like to know about the sink hook-ups as well, so please if you have any advice, I'm all ears!

Replies

• Bronx_Montgomery
    Bronx_Montgomery Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    I use to have a Brita system. But it wasn't my thing because I constantly had to fill huge amounts of water jugs and it took forever. I kept a few water bottles and bought a big 3 gallon water jug. At the grocery store its less then 2 bucks. Its cheaper and I make an effort to at least recycle since I am using a bit more plastic then normal.
  • CoryIda
    CoryIda Posts: 7,887 Member
    Options
    I have this water bottle with a filter in it called a FreshSip Water4U that I got at Walgreen's for $7 (and a pack of 3 filters is also just $7). I drink a massive amount of water so I go through about 2 filters a month - MUCH more affordable than buying 24-packs of water bottles every 3-4 days!
  • dmpizza
    dmpizza Posts: 3,321 Member
    Options
    The reality is that you probably don't need the filters at all, and you certainly don't need bottled water.

Bottled water became fashionable for two reasons;
    1. Very thin models need to carry water so they don't faint. My niece needs to do this.
    2. Many trend setters live in crappy apartments with really old pipes. The water into the building is great, but then it hits 125 year old pipes and gets crappy, so these boneheads think all water is bad.

I suggest just drinking your water straight.
  • StephanieRDMS
    StephanieRDMS Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    The reality is that you probably don't need the filters at all, and you certainly don't need bottled water.

Bottled water became fashionable for two reasons;
    1. Very thin models need to carry water so they don't faint. My niece needs to do this.
    2. Many trend setters live in crappy apartments with really old pipes. The water into the building is great, but then it hits 125 year old pipes and gets crappy, so these boneheads think all water is bad.

I suggest just drinking your water straight.

Yeah...about that. I get it. But I have a hard enough time drinking water period. So having it taste nasty, makes the avoidance greater.
  • lizzybeth5983
    lizzybeth5983 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I used the bobble, you can get it at target it I had no problem with it. I also use the brita pitcher at home and I love that too.
  • SandyMilton
    Options
    I use the brita filter bottles - have one in my office, one in my car (that is for workouts), one at home. While our home water doesn't taste so bad, work water is horrible. Since I don't know the origins of the other water types (gym, dojang, etc), I'd rather play it on the safe side. Before I'd just use bottled as well - so to go from that to the filtered bottle is an improvement for me.

If you have a Sam's Club membership, look at what they have available. I got a 3-pack for under $20, plus I got a $5 sam's gift card to use on my next trip (which I go every other week anyway) - so basically they were 3 bottles for under $15.

*edited to add.... while my home water tastes ok, I also get the water reports from the water company and can see all the crap that's in the water and just reading that report is a bit of a turn off :(
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    *save*
  • Justjoshin
    Justjoshin Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    I used to only drink filtered water. But considering I drink 2 gallons a day now, I pretty much just drink whatever assuming it doesnt look/smell like dirty sewage.
  • CoryIda
    CoryIda Posts: 7,887 Member
    Options
    I used to only drink filtered water. But considering I drink 2 gallons a day now, I pretty much just drink whatever assuming it doesnt look/smell like dirty sewage.
    Your tap water must be a lot better than mine.
  • bekool
    Options
    I use the brita and fill other containers from that.. Saves time and money. Also on throwing out the plastic bottles.
  • debilyn574
    debilyn574 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I buy the gallon bottles but have been going through them super fast. Also looking into a filter of some sort...
  • busyPK
    busyPK Posts: 3,788 Member
    Options
    I have a Brita dispenser and LOVE it. My tap water just tastes off as well. I have had my Brita dispenser for 4+ years and got it off of ebay and buy my filters from here as well (cheaper).