butter or

Options

Replies

• Laura_Ivy
    Laura_Ivy Posts: 555 Member
    Options
    I just bought an oil spread from the store and all I can taste is salt,bleck! I prefer unsalted butter but that is my preference but I used to use Smart Balance all the time until I crossed to the other side!
  • farmers_daughter
    farmers_daughter Posts: 1,632 Member
    Options
    I use Brummel and Brown, it's made with yogurt and has 35% vegatable oil. It has 45 calories for 1 tbsp, 5 grams total of fat, only 1.5 saturated. It tastes like margarine to me. I love it!!

^^^^^^^^ THIS!!!!! ^^^^^^^^^^

I can't even eat margarine anymore, it tastes like pure....eck.

I have tried Country Crock Light also it's a cheaper alternative than Brummel and Brown.

Edit: Also try topping your toast with other things like Sugar Free Raspberry Preserves, Honey...etc...
  • Poison5119
    Poison5119 Posts: 1,460 Member
    Options
    I just made a batch of sugar cookies, and something tells me that they just wouldn't be the same if I'd used margarine.

Butter all the way.
  • hpsnickers1
    hpsnickers1 Posts: 2,783 Member
    Options
    BUTTER!! It's a real food. Preferrably pastured (Kerrygold!) but definitely organic. Butter also contains vitamins A, E, D, & K. They happen to be fat-soluble vitamins which means you need to eat some fat with them so your body will absorb them.

Margarine is chemically processed (and altered) unnatural fats that the body doesn't recognize. This also applies to vegetable oils like corn, canola, sunflower, safflower, etc. And the olive oil spreads? The olive oil has been chemically processed to make it solid (it normally isn't). These are unhealthy and dangerous PUFAs.

I use butter, coconut oil (cold-pressed), olive oil (cold-pressed), avocado oil (also cold-pressed). The fats in butter and coconut oil (MCTs) are more likely to be used as energy rather than stored as fat (at least if you are a fat-burner. The majority of people out there are sugar-burners thanks to the Standard American Diet).
  • kyle4jem
    kyle4jem Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    Butter... not only is it good for you but it's soooooooooooo tasty!!!! :tongue:
  • farmers_daughter
    farmers_daughter Posts: 1,632 Member
    Options
    margarine may have less calories... but butter is much better for you overall - more natural

I must not be finding the same margarine you guys are because what I've found says 100-150 cals per tbsp.

hmmm....that was the kicker for me. Well the taste now too, but before.
  • Trovan
    Trovan Posts: 133 Member
    Options
  • SandyMilton
    Options
    It's been ages and a day but we used to make our own butter - it was fabulous! I really need to start doing that again. My kids don't like the store bought butter, but they will use the home made - go figure!
  • daffodilsoup
    daffodilsoup Posts: 1,972 Member
    Options
    I love Olivio Coconut Oil Spread - 50 cals per tablespoon and tastes like sweet cream butter.
  • em9371
    em9371 Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options
    proper salted butter every time, I just try not to use too much of it :-)
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    Butter. Natural is always better than artificially man-made ingredients.
  • jadedone
    jadedone Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    I have some Kerrygold Reduced fat butter that is excellent. Or Earth Balance. But I think I'll be getting rid of the earth blaance because the ingredient list is too long.
  • peppiee
    peppiee Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I like the laughing cow spreadable cheeses. 35 calories.
  • Tropical_Turtle
    Tropical_Turtle Posts: 2,236 Member
    Options
    I, personally am an unsalted butter girl. I just use is sparingly and savor the flavor :) It is just a matter of personal preference
  • HeidiRene
    HeidiRene Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    margarine has trans fat so I avoid it like the plague. Smart Balance is a healthy (but calorie dense) option. However when trying to lose I avoid that too. Try sugar free jam. That's what I do.
  • ifucsam
    Options
    Butter is better but we use margarine because it's cheaper and we don't generally use a lot of it so a tub of it lasts a while.
  • deliak2010
    Options
    Butter and margarine surprisingly have VERY close (if not identical) calorie counts per tbsp so I just use the real thing BUT I use a light butter that is half the cals and tastes EXACTLY the same.. talk about a win/win! :) It's Land O Lakes Light Butter and it's only 50 calories per tbsp! (You can also use Land O Lakes Light Butter w/Canola Oil which is also 50 cal/tbsp).

I've compared a handful of brands of butter/margarine and found that the average butter is 100 cal/tbsp, average margarine is also 100 cal/tbsp, country crock spread is 70 cal/tbsp, and cooking sprays say 0 cal for 1/4 second spray but are actually ~10 cal/1 second spray which means if you spray for a few seconds you might as well be using actual veg/olive/corn oil.

Anyway, I hope this helps and good luck!! And feel free to add me if you would like additional support! :)
  • Ondreacrandall
    Ondreacrandall Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    My husband and I use the butter spray on a lot of things. It's very yummy and guilt free.
  • 967_1111
    967_1111 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I eat light margarine, like Becel. Most margarine brands no longer contain trans fats, but all butter contains saturated fats. Your heart doesn't like either. I happen to like the taste and spread-ability of margarine. However, I rarely use either on anything.

You can read this and probably argue either side, with conviction:

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/life/health/butter-v-margarine---which-is-better/article1511588/
  • challengeaccepted
    Options
    I use unsalted creamy butter. Because of the sodium.