How did you reduce your body fat %

Options
I'd like to know what others have done to reduce their body fat.

Replies

• erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    A small caloric deficit (too large and you will lose muscle), adequate protein, and a heavy weight lifting regimen. check out the book " New Rules of Lifting for Women" or stronglifts 5x5 for an idea of the type of lifting.

You don't need any cardio to change body composition, cardio is great for increasing endurance, strengthening the heart. It also allows you to eat more calories, but it is not good for changing body composition.
  • QueenJayJay
    QueenJayJay Posts: 1,139
    Options
    Lose weight.
  • IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym
    Options
    I cut back on processed, fast and fried foods and dairy
  • AmyW125
    AmyW125 Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    A small caloric deficit (too large and you will lose muscle), adequate protein, and a heavy weight lifting regimen.

how do you know how many calories to eat? I have upped mine and still no loss...been the same for months (5 months)
  • CoryIda
    CoryIda Posts: 7,887 Member
    Options
    Eat well and do strength training... and be patient.
  • Debbe2
    Debbe2 Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    Exercise often, include strength training. Eat at a calorie deficit and include ample amounts of protein for your body. Get adequate sleep. Drink lots of water.
  • killagb
    killagb Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options
    Caloric deficit, high protein and a mix of cardio and strength training.
  • Hayesgang
    Options
    I did Hot Power Yoga 3-4x per week and ate at very SMALL caloric deficit.

Reduced my BF by 2% in 8 weeks with no muscle loss.

EDIT: I use the BodPod to get my BF%
  • jamiesadler
    jamiesadler Posts: 634 Member
    Options
    A small caloric deficit (too large and you will lose muscle), adequate protein, and a heavy weight lifting regimen. check out the book " New Rules of Lifting for Women" or stronglifts 5x5 for an idea of the type of lifting.

You don't need any cardio to change body composition, cardio is great for increasing endurance, strengthening the heart. It also allows you to eat more calories, but it is not good for changing body composition.

I just read this book and started this program so far I love it.
  • simplyblessed5
    simplyblessed5 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I've decreased mine from 34% to 27% in just two months by lots of cardio and lifting weights.
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    I kicked my metabolic furnace into high gear by eating 13.5 meals per day.

I also ate less than I burned.
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    I ran a lot and ate properly. It has gotten me to around 10.5%.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    A small caloric deficit (too large and you will lose muscle), adequate protein, and a heavy weight lifting regimen.

how do you know how many calories to eat? I have upped mine and still no loss...been the same for months (5 months)

trial and error, as the maintenance cal on MFP is just an estimate. I would suggest starting with a 0.5lb/week weight loss goal, and adjust your intake from there but give each new intake 3-4 weeks to see if you will get results.
  • Chibs82
    Chibs82 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Training. Up your training level. Do it either with more intensity or a longer duration. Do cardio at least every weekday . Weights will def help but you ain't gonna see muscle without getting rid of the fat. Do cardio early, REV up your metabolism for the rest of the day,

Look at the times you eat, as a rule try not to eat large quantities of carbs after 6. Up your protein.

Calorie deficit, **** load of sweat... You can't go wrong.
  • Chibs82
    Chibs82 Posts: 10 Member
    Options

Dude - you gotta break down what you are eatin' meal wise ... even a PM to the plan. I'd heard of 5/6 but the logistics of 13.5 seem ... challenging? I have this image of half a dozen tupperware boxes going with you to work :)
  • hackett1171
    Options
    20 minutes on the treadmill where you walk for a minute then sprint for a minute with each sprint increasing in speed....it helps burn stored fat....try it out
  • kit_katty
    kit_katty Posts: 994 Member
    Options
    I've been wondering this as well. I'm going to guess that P90X and running basically daily, while eating at a calorie deficit will help... :)
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options

Dude - you gotta break down what you are eatin' meal wise ... even a PM to the plan. I'd heard of 5/6 but the logistics of 13.5 seem ... challenging? I have this image of half a dozen tupperware boxes going with you to work :)

sarcasm01.jpg
  • KeishaK89
    Options
    weight lifting! the more muscle you build the more cals you burn during the day. plus is makes you feel strong and healthier =)
  • DarlingNikki2011
    DarlingNikki2011 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    Okay... I'm obviously new here and still trying to learn. But can someone tel me what is meant by calorie deficit?

I immediately thought this meant to decrease your calorie intake; but I see where someone has mentioned that they have increased their intake. I'm confused.