Is there a healthy way- Chips and Salsa

Options
I have a crazy obsession with tostitos touch of pepperjack chips and salsa. Before I started this diet, I was eating chips and salsa for lunch probably 3 days a week. Is there a healthy tortilla chip out there? I have put salsa on everything, but I really crave that crunchy snap some days. I'm also not the kind of person that can portion tortilla chips out, I generally end up eating half the bag even if I planned for "just a few"

Replies

• jenbk2
    jenbk2 Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    What if you make your own? Find a low carb- calorie tortilla, cut them up and bake them? You won't have the "bag" tempting you. If not I would say any whole wheat tortillas or baked tortillas.
  • mrsjennifermaffei
    Options
    Honestly, there is nothing good that I've found. Salsa is always healthy so it's the chips you need to come up with.
    Either a tortilla shell baked and cut, although I didn't like that. Or try small pieces of toasted bread? Other than that, I would just eat the chips and work them off exercising....kind of like pasta, for me these select few items should never be substituted lol.
  • SandySuggs
    Options
    Cut celery into bite size chunks.. It is delicious with any salsa and gives you a nice crunch!
  • cyuenkel
    cyuenkel Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I agree with making your own! I love homemade chips way better than the store bought now. And you can only make a pan full so you don't tempt yourself in overeating.
  • equinedestiny02
    Options
    I agree with making your own! I love homemade chips way better than the store bought now. And you can only make a pan full so you don't tempt yourself in overeating.

Wondering what your recipe is to make your own??
  • Snjlowe
    Snjlowe Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    The best choice I've found (and they are really good) -Snyders of Hanover, white corn tortilla chips. About 13 chips has 140 calories and 4 fat grams. Not too bad compared to other chips and they are fairly priced. Not paying extra like the baked chips.
  • ishallnotwant
    ishallnotwant Posts: 1,210 Member
    Options

Wondering what your recipe is to make your own??

There's not really a recipe, just cut a corn tortilla into triangles and fry until crisp-drain on a paper towel to "blot" out some of the oil residue. Then sprinkle with salt, if you want. Warm, homemade chips are so good!
  • mama1229
    Options
    These are really Good!! The chips are pretty good sized too so 7 chips can easily be broken into 21 pieces.

Nutrition Facts
    Trader Joe's - Spicy Soy & Flaxseed Tortilla Chips
    Servings: 7 chips - 1oz 1 chips - 1oz 1 container (84 chips - 1ozs ea.)
    Calories 140 Sodium 80 mg
    Total Fat 8 g Potassium 0 mg
    Saturated 1 g Total Carbs 13 g
    Polyunsaturated 4 g Dietary Fiber 4 g
    Monounsaturated 4 g Sugars 0 g
    Trans 0 g Protein 6 g
    Cholesterol 0 mg
    Vitamin A 2% Calcium 2%
    Vitamin C 0% Iron 6%
  • 0AmyMarie0
    Options
    Thank you for the ideas everyone!!
  • secondring
    Options
    Cut celery into bite size chunks.. It is delicious with any salsa and gives you a nice crunch!

Doesn't Celery also provide negative calories??
  • brismom070897
    brismom070897 Posts: 178 Member
    Options

Doesn't Celery also provide negative calories??
  • brismom070897
    brismom070897 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    What in the world is a "negative" calorie.??
  • XtyAnn17
    XtyAnn17 Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    use cucumber slices as your chips
  • annemama
    annemama Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Take a pita and cut it into 8 triangles (I use a pizza cutter for this). Then split the two layers so you end up with 16 triangles. Lay them on a cookie sheet and spray lightly with oil (flip over and pray the other side a bit if you like, not necessary)... then sprinkle with whatever seasonings you like ( or just a bit of salt, which is all I do). Pop it in the oven for just a few minutes (maybe 8, it depends on your oven) at 325 F or about 175C. Remove from oven and prepare to defend yourself and your pita-chips from anyone who smells them or happens by! These are fantastic, and NOT fried, like regular chips. Now dip to your heart's content!
  • annemama
    annemama Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Just noticed the typo in my post. No need to actually pray over the chips once you flip them... a simple spray of olive oil will do! But pray anyway, it's good for you! :wink:
  • Aross83
    Aross83 Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    Trader joes has some Soy Flaxseed tortilla chips that are very good.. they also bump up your fiber and protein intake!!!
  • blondejillie
    blondejillie Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    I just bought a bag of Medditeranian Lentil Chips. They are made from bean flour and come in several flavors, have protein and fiber and are baked, not fried. Really good with salsa and/or bean dips.
  • vessteph
    Options
    here's what i do, i cut up corn tortillias into traingles and lay them out on a cookie sheet and spray them with non stick spray that will help give them the crunch. cook them on 350 to 400 for about 8 to 10 min depending on your oven. but this way you know what you have eatin and can count calories, makesure you check the corn tortillas some are lower in calories than others.
  • Pfauxmeh
    Pfauxmeh Posts: 259
    Options
    BUMP.

That pita recipe sounds awesome.