Vietnamese food!

So,
I'm going to a dinner at a vietnamese place! It's not the norm, so I have no idea how to log calories?

Also what on earth do I order? Haha I've never been. Which do you think is the "healthiest" option?

http://www.vietnamhousescotland.com/menu

Replies

• melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    I am not sure about the other dishes on the menu but I am very familiar with pho! Shrimp (prawn) pho will probably run you about 400-odd calories. Same with chicken pho. Beef pho is more on the order of 700 calories. You can cut the calories in any pho dish by not eating all of the noodles. Look in the database- there are lots of Vietnamese dishes already in there. Just pick something similar.
  • TONYAGOOCH
    TONYAGOOCH Posts: 470 Member
    The Beef salad is good. So is most of the soups. High in sodium though. I like to get the bowls that have lettuce, cucumber, bean sprouts, carrots and a protein (I like the pork or shrimp). It's usually served with a liquid substance to pour over it (maybe fish sauce but not sure). Add some chili sauce mix and enjoy. I LOVE Vietnamese food! YUMMMM!
  • firedragon064
    firedragon064 Posts: 1,082 Member
    Vietnamese food is quite healthy. You also can get grilled meat with rice. I just count it as 1 cup of rice, 4 oz of meat, 1 t of sugar, 1t soysauce.
    Salad rolls is good too
  • TONYAGOOCH
    Oh Ya! I completely forgot about the summer rolls. Veggies and shrimp wrapped in rice paper like an egg roll but not fried. OMG! Thanks now I want Vietnamese food. lol

You should also take a measuring cup with you if you can and ask for an extra plate if you order rice. Just to make sure you calculate your portion correctly. :)
  • Pho is amazig! The chicken is lower in calories is still very yummy. I love to add all the sprouts, herbs, jalepenos and some of the sauces (sriracha, hoisin). Most places will add veges if you ask (for a little charge). Spring rolls are very good too. Not the fried one of course. Sometimes you can order and fill and roll yourself (can be tricky with the rice paper at first). Or just order already rolled. Makes a great appetizer. Again good with all the sauces...
  • kryptonitekelly
    kryptonitekelly Posts: 335 Member
    Thank you so much!!!
    :)
    I now know what I'm going to get :)

Mmmmmm can;t wait to try this style of food!! :)!
  • kryptonitekelly
    kryptonitekelly Posts: 335 Member
    Oh Ya! I completely forgot about the summer rolls. Veggies and shrimp wrapped in rice paper like an egg roll but not fried. OMG! Thanks now I want Vietnamese food. lol

You should also take a measuring cup with you if you can and ask for an extra plate if you order rice. Just to make sure you calculate your portion correctly. :)

That's just silly...brining a measuring cup to a restaurant?
  • TONYAGOOCH
    It's not silly if you are serious about counting your calories. Personally I haven't done it. Not that I haven't planned on it, just forgot. My SIL has though. Restaurants tend to give you much more than a serving on your plate. Therefore you tend to eat more. More food equals more calories. For someone who weighs and measures all thier food, this wouldn't be considered silly but neccessary.
  • seanwebster
    seanwebster Posts: 83 Member
    I've got nothing to add except that I. Love. Pho.

Oh, one thing. You might save some calories by getting the chicken, but you're also changing the base flavor of the soup and it's... well... a beef soup. Give yourself a treat and make up for it later. Might also ask if they've got leaner choices on beef. The Vietnamese restaurants here usually have lean steak, fatty brisket, and some of what we'll call "varietal cuts."
  • juicemoogan
    juicemoogan Posts: 994 Member
    Vegetarian fresh Rice spring rolls.

Delicious and nutritious! :)
  • I've got nothing to add except that I. Love. Pho.

Oh, one thing. You might save some calories by getting the chicken, but you're also changing the base flavor of the soup and it's... well... a beef soup. Give yourself a treat and make up for it later. Might also ask if they've got leaner choices on beef. The Vietnamese restaurants here usually have lean steak, fatty brisket, and some of what we'll call "varietal cuts."

True. If I actually get to have any (I'm a sahm of 4, 5 years and under), I get the beef. It is heavenly and not terrible if you get a small and plan the day around.
  • renu74
    renu74 Posts: 90 Member
    So,
    I'm going to a dinner at a vietnamese place! It's not the norm, so I have no idea how to log calories?

Also what on earth do I order? Haha I've never been. Which do you think is the "healthiest" option?

http://www.vietnamhousescotland.com/menu

Just go and enjoy the food, once in a while you can splurge...but, make sure you work it out tomorrow or workout today and eat it up....SOMETIMES its OK to let go:) I love Vietnamese food.
  • dimoul
    dimoul Posts: 137 Member
    watch out for the rice noodles. 192 cal per cup. http://caloriecount.about.com/calories-rice-noodles-cooked-i20134. One spring roll, depending on the size, can have a cup and they normally come in pairs. One bowl of pho can easily have a cup or two as well. 200 cals a pop adds up fast.