So I need to eat a quarter pounder with cheese to reach my d

Options
I'm 35yo female, 5' 11" & 161lbs- I'm a mother of 2 and exercise 4-5x a week- (running, pilates/yoga & weight training every week) as well as a 20hr per week desk job. I've been physically strong/active for a while, but never losing weight.

In January, I started a 15 day juicing fast (spinach, kale, beets- that sort of thing) and gradually added back lean protein, raw food etc and in the last 7 days have added back processed/packaged food. I've only been here at MFP for 10 days so my diary doesn't show much- I realize that. I began the juicing journey as a short term boost to my immune system, and wow- it worked. I honestly never felt better than when I was juicing & eating lean protein. But I felt it wasn't a balanced, maintainable way to continue full-time

Now that I feel better, I'd like to continue and reach my goal of 150lbs (losing another 10-11). But at this point my body & mind are confused- LOL. I'm not sure how to eat- honestly, I've been all over the place. Very low calorie (w/ juicing, & lean protein only) and well, normal higher calorie (high carb) foods. I've had a muuuuuuuch harder time w/ higher calories- I simply don't want to eat processed food, but cannot choke down 1800 cal of raw food/ lean protein. But I felt so much better w/ a raw food/juicing/high protein diet- about 1200cal a day.

But given what I've read & know, that's simply not enough (my BMR is 1920cals)

But here's the thing- my body seemed to wake up and actually release weight while I was juicing & transitioning back to a raw food/high protein diet. And I've kept it off- it wasn't 'water'. But I haven't lost anything in 3 weeks and have that stalled out feeling that I"ve lived w/ for years. After some reading here I've gotten the point that I may be one of those people who has to make sure I"m eating enough- my metabolism is screwy. In short, perhaps I've been over-exercising & undereating.

So I'm trying to eat more. My BMR is 1920cal and honestly, at this point I cannot eat that much w/out introducing processed food/snacky things...and that's something I just really don't want to do because it makes me feel terrible. This is my issue. There was one day last week where I made myself go eat a fast-food sandwich just to get close to my daily calorie goal- I felt sick for 4 hours afterwards, but at least I hope I sent the message to my body that 'we are not starving'.

Can anyone give me input? LOL I feel like I have the mental fortitude to do what it takes (after all I am a runner and we are known for our mental ridiculousness), I just don't know what to do at this point.

Laura

Replies

• tabinmaine
    tabinmaine Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    How about some protein shakes ? That's a great way to up your calories. And when you eat yogurt or sour cream or bread, don't go for the low calorie version .
  • SarahMorganP
    SarahMorganP Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    How about some nuts? A peanut butter sandwich (all natural peanut butter on 100% whole wheat bread) can be close to 500 calories! And it's pretty healthy. :happy:
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    I am aiming for 1700 calories a day and I don't eat much in the way of processed/boxed/packaged food. I mainly cook everything myself. Feel free to look through my diary (ignore this past weekend!).
  • Bentley2718
    Bentley2718 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    Foods don't have to be processed to be high in calories. Avocados, raw nuts, minimally processed nut butters, brown rice, quinoa, flax and chia seeds, and oatmeal (to name a few) are all relatively high in calories, with minimal or even no processing. Even some fruits are relatively high in calories. If you explore a little, I think you will find that there are ton of high calorie, whole foods that can help you meet your goals without feeling like you're trying to eat 2000cals worth of kale everyday.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    First, are you sure your BMR is 1920? Based on the math, you would have to 2% body fat to be around that. Now grant it, genetics can play in that role and bump it up. I am 5'11, 200 lb man and my BMR is 2080. So you might want to check that again.

Second, I don't eat much process food and I eat 2600-3000 calories a day. I eat 6 meals a day (not that it makes a difference but it helps spread out the calories. But stuff like protein shakes, protein bars, peanut butter, avocado and cooking stuff in olive oil will help.
  • tabithajoyy
    tabithajoyy Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    Foods don't have to be processed to be high in calories. Avocados, raw nuts, minimally processed nut butters, brown rice, quinoa, flax and chia seeds, and oatmeal (to name a few) are all relatively high in calories, with minimal or even no processing. Even some fruits are relatively high in calories. If you explore a little, I think you will find that there are ton of high calorie, whole foods that can help you meet your goals without feeling like you're trying to eat 2000cals worth of kale everyday.

I agree with this! Thanks for the suggestions of things. I to sometimes have problems consuming enough cals although i do eat processed things
  • rebecca_d35
    Options
    I am almost identical to you in height and weight. But I NEVER have trouble eating enough calories. :) Quite the contrary. And I don't eat much processed food at all. (Okay, ignore last night's cupcake.) Some of my favorite healthy foods are high in calories: lentils, quinoa, avocado, feta cheese, olive oil, etc. In fact, if you combine all those things, it would make a delicious meal with lots of calories.
  • Tlively13
    Tlively13 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Have you tried shakeology from beachbody? It is loaded with nutrients that your body needs. The chocolate is good if you like dark chocolate and the new tropical is wonderful. there are different recipes for mixing. The only down side is it is a little pricey..
  • larlab
    larlab Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    First, are you sure your BMR is 1920? Based on the math, you would have to 2% body fat to be around that. Now grant it, genetics can play in that role and bump it up. I am 5'11, 200 lb man and my BMR is 2080. So you might want to check that again.

Second, I don't eat much process food and I eat 2600-3000 calories a day. I eat 6 meals a day (not that it makes a difference but it helps spread out the calories. But stuff like protein shakes, protein bars, peanut butter, avocado and cooking stuff in olive oil will help.

Sorry- not BMR... I meant TDEE :) BMR is around 1500, plus 400 for not laying in bed all day. :)
  • larlab
    Options
    RE nuts, I try to steer away from them due to having the herpes simplex (cold sore) virus that responds negatively to food high in arganine...but also taking lysine which helps keep things in balance.

Right now I'm one of those people who gained weight by being 'hungry' but now that its time to lose it, I'm just not hungry enough. I feel like I'm choking down food a lot of time. Its easier & more palatable to have broccoli & hummus than a peanut butter sandwich, apple slices & milk- also about 400-500 cal difference.

So everyone agrees, I do need to be eating more??? Honestly, it would be easier to eat 1200-1400 calories, but that has not yielded any weight loss results.
  • larlab
    Options
    I am almost identical to you in height and weight. But I NEVER have trouble eating enough calories. :) Quite the contrary. And I don't eat much processed food at all. (Okay, ignore last night's cupcake.) Some of my favorite healthy foods are high in calories: lentils, quinoa, avocado, feta cheese, olive oil, etc. In fact, if you combine all those things, it would make a delicious meal with lots of calories.

Well clearly at some point in time, I DIDN'T have an issue eating enough- LOL. Right now, everything I"m hungry for (soups, raw foods, lean fish/chicken and juiced veggies) is not exactly working for me RE having enough calories. :)

i think I'm that lady who has been eating 1200 calories for too long and screwed up her metabolism.
  • rebecca_d35
    Options
    Why not continue with the joices, soups, veggies and lean proteins for a while? If you feel full and energetic, I can't imagine it's bad for you.

Also: You sound like you are fit (lots of exercise) and at a healthy weight. Maybe your body likes where it is?

I realize that this is a little hypocritical of me to say since I am also fit and at a healthy weight (5'10, 160, lots of running) and trying to lose weight. But you have an inch on me. And I am doing it purely for vanity reasons at this point. AND I'm not really having any success, either.

:)
  • larlab
    Options
    Why not continue with the joices, soups, veggies and lean proteins for a while? If you feel full and energetic, I can't imagine it's bad for you.

Also: You sound like you are fit (lots of exercise) and at a healthy weight. Maybe your body likes where it is?

I realize that this is a little hypocritical of me to say since I am also fit and at a healthy weight (5'10, 160, lots of running) and trying to lose weight. But you have an inch on me. And I am doing it purely for vanity reasons at this point. AND I'm not really having any success, either.

:)

Thanks for your thoughts :)

Total vanity here as well- mirror & running vanity. I'm ready to carry less fat when I run, hence increased speed!!! Plus, I'm a size 10, so by no means 'skinny'. I'm fit & strong and proud, but have decided not to be satisfied w/ 'good enough' any more.

Since kiddos, I haven't been below 160 even though I was there prior to kiddos. I'm ready to do this, but feel thwarted no matter what I do right now- grrrrr

I want to look as great as I feel- LOL. I'm fit & strong and want to look it, and carry 10lbs less fat so I can be faster!!!! I know it IS possible- I'm tired of settling for good enough and want the best for myself, which is hard as a momma. :)
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Well if you are really just trying to reduce body fat, then cut your deficit to .5 lb per week. Concentrate on weight lifting and trying to gain a little lean muscle mass. It will help make you slim and fit. And while you do that, your body will burn more calories and a result will be weight loss.

If you really want the results, look at programs like P90X (2), insanity or turbo fire. I love beach body programs and I am not even a coach but it's helped me cut body fat fairly quickly.
  • rebecca_d35
    Options
    I swear you are my body twin. I have a 4-year-old and a 2-year-old and have only briefly dipped back into the 150s since having #1. (That's when I was nursing like a maniac.) 160 is SO easy to maintain, but I can't get lower.

I'm going to try being extremely vigilant with calories for the next few weeks. I also want to look as good as I feel. (I feel fantastic.) And I don't want to embarrass myself when I run my first 10k this spring.