Stress eating

Options
At the office talking on one line as I'm paged for another just as my cell phone starts ringing -- not that big a deal, really. Still, it was momentarily hectic and, in that interval, I had this errant thought: "Wouldn't a bag of chips be nice?" And I had to muster up a tad of willpower to answer, "No."

With the prospect of getting fit occupying a top-of-the-mind awareness lately, it was comparatively easy this time to make that "no" answer. But how many times, I wonder, have I wended my way to the vending machine not fully aware that I was acting impulsively?

On the stress spectrum, dealing with multiple calls doesn't rank very high. Yet, there is that food-loving, comfort-seeking part of me that is all too eager to latch onto any excuse to indulge in needless eating. Any tips for fighting this demon?

BTW, I'm comparatively new here, so I would welcome any new friends, comrades-in-arms in the fight to get fit.

Replies

• artnun
    Options
    I was just posing about this somewhere else. you describe the issue perfectly.

I do this, and find that its the small frustrations, the mini stresses, that will lead me to the mindless eating.

I I noticed that taking some slow deep breaths, deliberately noticing and reducing my stress often helps me delay my food binge till a regular mealtime, or till I can munch on something healthy like carrots or fruit, etc.

I noticed that exercising helps, because after ward my muscles are all relaxed I am guessing that if i put more relaxing habits into my life it would help. I use food to relax . and I need to find other ways.

I am new here too thanks for sharing
  • warshahn
    Options
    When I feel stressed out, this helps me (usually). I wait five-ten minutes, and if I still feel like eating, I'll eat something--just not chips. :) Sometimes I'll set the timer, and then feel surprised when it goes off, because I've forgotten that I want to eat something.
    Lauren
  • jewol
    jewol Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    >>I noticed that taking some slow deep breaths, deliberately noticing and reducing my stress often helps me delay my food binge till a regular mealtime, or till I can munch on something healthy like carrots or fruit, etc. <<

That sounds like a good idea. I think living as deliberately as possible is the key. When I go on autopilot and allow habit take over, that's when I get in trouble.

>>Sometimes I'll set the timer, and then feel surprised when it goes off, because I've forgotten that I want to eat something.<<

The timer sounds like a good idea, Lauren. Interesting that you forget you had wanted to eat something. Even when I have felt genuinely hungry, I am seldom as hungry as I thought I was. Sometimes, when the situation allows it, I will pause mid-meal and wait for 10 minutes. Often, I find that I was not as famished as I had thought I was.

Thanks to both of you for sharing your insights.
    -John