33.8 % of adult Americans are OBESE.

Options
12346»

Replies

• Shanna_Inc86
    Shanna_Inc86 Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    Ok look up jean sizing for name brand jeans and you'll be very surprised at what vanity sizing has done.

I wear a size 4 in American Eagle jeans...I'm 146lbs at 5'5"...um really??

Once I get to goal I'll be an XS there and at Charlotte Russe and some Express clothes as well. I'll be wearing size 0-2 Jeans from American Eagle.

There is a brand called George in the women's dept....I wear an XS in the shirts and they don't make pants any smaller than a 4 which is too big.

Being a size 2 isn't that big of a deal anymore and totally attainable.
    My goal due to sizing, is to be a 0-2 in AE jeans and 3 in Lei jeans (which I wear a 7 in now)

All for loving yourself but totally agree with the OP
  • SFalconStorm
    SFalconStorm Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Okay, I have to say something on this. There is a reason that cancer is called a ‘wasting’ disease. There are many ‘wasting’ diseases out there. Generally, one of the first symptoms of these diseases is great and sudden weight loss. If people see someone losing a lot of weight and ask if they’re okay, I take that as them actually caring, not being rude.

Studies by the American Heart association have shown that being overweight or obese actually increases our chances of surviving a heart attack or stroke. (You can google ‘obesity paradox’ for more information on this.) I am not saying that the poor diet that leads to morbid obesity is fine, but just because someone is overweight does not automatically mean they’re ill. However, in a lot of cases, someone who is underweight usually IS ill, whether it’s a wasting disease or an eating disorder.

I agree that some of the comments out there about naturally thin people are probably rooted in jealousy, but our society’s obsession with thinness is no more natural or healthy than if we were obsessed with fattening everyone up. I’ve seen some people in this thread mention that it would be better if we could worry more about actual health/mental health and happiness than numbers on a scale or BMI chart.
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    Slightly OT, but still trying to get my head around the concept of "deep-fried butter"...

Yeah, they have it at the Texas State Fair (along with deep fried oreos, snickers, queso, bubblegum, bacon...you name it, us southerners can deep fry it). It's basically like a biscuit completely soaked in butter then thrown into the deep fryer. It makes my arteries clog up just thinking about it.

It's quite surprising that we don't have a higher obesity rate than Mississippi or Alabama, because of all this... we also *love* our BBQ and chicken fried (insert meat here)...

And don't forget the gift from God that is Mexican food (a little more prevalent the further south you go in TX). Good lord I could go to TOWN on some Mexican food. Hence why I'm 30 lbs overweight...

MMM.... yes, Mexican food... There is a place in OKC that makes AWESOME tortilla's and queso... and it's a good thing they aren't here in Texas otherwise, I would be more overweight than I already am.

Please PLEASE tell me you are talking about Ted's. Took some people there from Philadelphia this fall (OU grad) and they about died when we sat down at Ted's for all the free tortillas, queso, peppers, onions...okay...getting hungry

Heck Ya! I am! I'm a Texas Sooner grad... ;-)
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    While I think body shaming is wrong (no matter what size you are) this whole "embrace your womanly body" bullshiz makes me crazy.

I am an ardent supporter of embracing your womanly body. Unfortunately we fail to embrace the fact that a womanly body comes in lots of different packages.

For some women that means curvy hips, for some that means muscular thighs, or big boobs, or small ones, or big arms, or small ones. The best thing you can do is be your best YOU. Your best "you may not look anything like my best "me."

That's what I mean. I realize it probably came across wrong--by the "embrace your womanly body" thing I meant when people tell us to embrace being overweight because it gives us womanly curves. A woman can be fit and still womanly! Or naturally curvaceous, or whatever. People focusing less on the health but more on the appearance bothers me.

Did anyone ever watch the show Mercy on NBC (it was on a year or two ago and only for a season)... there was a girl on there that had awesome curves (at least they looked like it in the clothes she wore on the show).... I always admired them when I saw her... and she was fit too... her name is Jaime Lee Kirchner.