New Here! Need Advice Please!

Options
Hi I'm new to this fitness pal thing and I could use all the help. I have made some major changes lately in my life, I quit smoking 10 days ago and i started my diet 16 days ago. Im already over weight and i cant afford to put on more. Im getting discouraged with my weigh ins. I have only lost about 1/2 a pound in 2 weeks and im doing Zumba at least 4-5 days a week and i cut my calories to about 1200 a day. I have done really well so far but I do have my cheat days. ( Yesterday was hubby's B-Day = Chipotle no chips and chocolate cake ) but at least 6 days out of the week i stay on track and i Zumba on the day i cheat. So what am i doing wrong and how can i stgay motivated. I have about 45 lbs to lose to get back to a healthy weight and get rid of my hypoglycemia. Thanks for any answers :happy:

Replies

• olyrose
    olyrose Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    It could be a few things. It's important to eat enough, so make sure to hit the goals MFP gives you. Usually starting a new workout can cause your muscles to retain water, which is released after a rest day or after you get used to what you're doing. If Zumba is new for you, that could be a reason. Make sure you're not overestimating your calorie burn or underestimating your calorie intake. Also make sure to drink water throughout the day. And then, give it time. We don't always respond as fast as we wish we did. If you're doing things right, you should see results. And remember that slower loss is usually more stable and permanent.

Good luck!!
  • japruzze
    japruzze Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    Your diary isn't public so I don't know what, when or how much you're eating. I don't know your current weight, age or how much you want to lose. I know you do Zumba for exercise but is it a class, video or on the WIi? How many calories are you burning? Could be you aren't eating enough. Or too much. There's not much to go on.
  • seekingstrengthX2
    Options
    If you are only eating 1200 calories the days you do Zumba, you probably aren't eating enough. 1200 is the NET calories you should consume. If you burn 400 doing Zumba, then really you should be eating 1600 calories (1600 - 400 burnt = NET 1200). Your body needs to be fueled properly to lose weight, believe it or not. If you're working out like a madman and not eating enough, your body will hold onto whatever it can.
  • BigDaddyBRC
    BigDaddyBRC Posts: 2,395 Member
    Options
    Given the minimal information we have from you here is my thoughts:

You are either starving your body and it adjusted, thus keeping everything it can in "storage" or you are eating unhealthy amounts.

My suggestions:
    1. review your profile settings and be 100% BLUNTLY honest with yourself on these
    2. Record EVERYTHING you ingest on a daily basis with absolute honesty
    3. Get an HRM - Do Not rely on the values of burn that MFP. Everyone's body is different.
    4. Record your exercises and Burn
    5. Eat the calories you burn
    6. DRINK LOTS OF WATER
    7. Make your diary public - If you want help, let us get the information. You can always make it private again once you got a grip on it all.

Start with these, and from there, tweak your tracking levels of Sodium, Carbs, Sugar, Protein, etc.
    Remember that MFP will max your loss at 2 pounds by AUTOMATICALLY setting a calorie deficit. If you go below that, you starve the body.