Advice?

Options
I figured that I would ask for advice in the Success Stories so I can get help from the people who know what their doing :smile:

I have been on MFP for about two months or so and have only managed to mainly gain weight and only recently have I been able to loose a few pounds.

I am actually only 15 (almost 16 :happy: ) so I am at school until around 3:00. I can't plan out my foods that well because of school and I'm not able to be home exercising all day or go out to the store to by the foods that I should be eating. And because of the other people in my home (who have worse eating habits than I do) I'm surrounded and tempted by so many other foods that I shouldn't be eating. I'm not exactly sure what I should be eating in the first place.

I'm trying to exercise as much as possible. I've been taking my dog on walks for about 20 minutes for the past week or two and I have also been doing the elliptical for about 30 minutes, also for about a week or two. I don't know what other exercises I can do and I don't want to get bored doing the same exercises every day.

I weigh about 176 and I am around 5'7 to 5'8. I think a good weight for me would be around 140ish? (do you think that is a good weight?) Which i haven't been since 4th or 5th grade. I want to lose the weight for the summer when we go to the beach and my family is also going to visit family 10 hours away that I haven't seen for about three years and I want to be a whole new me and I just want to shock them.

I'm miserable being the weight that I am and i've tried losing weight before and seemed to only fail. I had lost about 20 pounds last year on weight watchers but I just gained it all back by the end of summer.

I would really appreciate any advice you have, such as what I should be eating and what other exercises I could be doing.

Thanks for reading and feel free to add me! :smile:

Kelly

Replies

• madameduffay
    madameduffay Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Hi Kelly,

I am 20 years older than you but at your age, I was that exact weight. I was not very proactive in taking control of my weight back then. It's great that you are reaching out. There are lots of people with great advice on here, so if you can't get the support at home, I bet you'll get it here. I don't know if there are others of your age on the board. You should reach out to them. Or, maybe there are some moms on the board with kids your age who will reach out.

The best advice is to get moving and track everything you eat. Once you do that, you will find it gets easier (not easy); you get this "I don't want to waste all that hard work on food mentality

A lot of people have had great luck with the Jillian Michaels workouts. They are short (about half an hour) and the results are great. Try 30 Day Shred. At your age, I loved to dance. Maybe look for some dance dvds (or however you kids get your movies : ) Kickboxing is also great. Lots of great videos out there for that.

Your dog is so cute. It's so great that he/she is also going to benefit from your new lifestyle! Maybe you can start running with him too.

I don't have much advice about food as it is still a personal struggle. There are so many people on this board with great tips. I will defer to them.

Good luck. I'm sure you'll do great.
  • msmissylowe
    Options
    Hi Kelly,
    First let me say that I think it is awesome that at your age you are already trying to take control of your health! You will get a long way with that attitude.
    My advice as far as the eating goes, would be to eat as "clean" as you can. Cut out processed foods and eat more natural foods like lean meats, veggies, fruit etc. It is hard when you are not the one doing the shopping, but ask whoever does your shopping if they can help you out in that area.
    Take healthy snacks to school to munch on. Increase your water and if you are a soda drinker, go ahead and cut those out.
    Cutting out one unhealthy thing will make a big difference too!

If you know of a place in your area that has a Zumba class, they are usually free or cheap and are a lot of fun and great excercise!
    If you can't do something like that, keep walking that dog! That is awesome!

Best of luck to you! It is inspiring to see a young person dedicated to being healthy!
  • arctiknitter
    arctiknitter Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Hi Kelly,
    Good for you for taking the first big steps to a healthy lifestyle.
    Walking your dog is a great way to exercise. About two years ago I started getting up every morning and walking my dogs for at least 30 minutes. It has become a habit for me and the dogs that we just can't break! It's a lovely way to start the day.
    As for exercise DVDs, the 30 Day Shred is really great! In less than half an hour you've had a good workout. I do that in addition to the daily dog walk and usually add in some Pilates, too.
    I always pack at least part of my lunch the evening before. I know the apples turn a little brown, but I slice up an apple and some carrots and have them ready to go next morning. Make a healthy wrap and have it ready to go. You can find lots of healthy recipes online. Planning ahead is the way to go. Does your family keep a shopping list? If so, maybe you can add some healthy foods to the list. There are some nice containers that have locking lids so that you have no risk of spills in your back pack. Grocery stores carry the containers, probably Walmart, too.
    I agree with cutting out soda, if you drink that. It's expensive and unhealthy. Drink water instead.
    Track your food-and measure it for tracking-we tend to eat more than we realize if we don't weigh/measure helpings.
    Always try to keep in mind that you are doing this for your good health. It isn't just to look good, although that's a great side benefit. You want to be healthy and able to participate fully in all the wonderful activities that life has to offer.
    Best of luck!
  • SkinnyShadow
    SkinnyShadow Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Hey Kelly,
    I don't know if you've already done this, but I would have a serious sit down with your mom :)
    Tell her how you feel, and what you want for yourself, and just be as straight forward as possible. Tell her how the eating habits of others affects you, and ask her for "advice".. make her think she's coming up with the ideas, and go from there. If she feels that she is taking on that protective, nurturing role again (you're 15, she probably doesn't feel as needed anymore), my guess is that she would be pretty keen in helping, even if that meant she might have to take a look at her own eating habits and change a few things. You could also play the "I want some mother/daughter time.. *puppy dog eyes*" card and get her to take you out once a week to go swimming, or skating etc. just to break up the routine etc. :p Anyway, just a thought. Congrats on taking control of your life in a positive way while you're still young ;)
    Best wishes!
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    hi kelly

how fit/old is your dog? you could mix the dog walk up a bit by running for a minute, walking for 2 etc.

also agree on the 30 day shred - my daughter is the same age as you and she does it with me, we have a bit of a laugh. its only around £5 here so mabey $5-$10 for you - you could mabey get it for a mother's day gift and have a bit of a laugh with it.

the food one is a toughy - mabey you could take a packed lunch that way you'd have control over lunch and a mid-morning snack. try offering to cook a healthy meal one night a week at home - i'm sure your mum would love one night off from cooking.
  • chubbytiff
    chubbytiff Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    hey hun, i think between 140 to 150 would be a good weight for you. Drink lots and lots of water. I eat oatmeal for breakfast or hard boiled eggs are good for protein and they speed up your motabolism in the morning. You could pack your lunch with turkey and cheese sandwich and some fruit. Watch the carbs. Stay away from chips and crackers. these are my week point. I love greek yogurt it is filling.
  • SkinnyShadow
    SkinnyShadow Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    - i'm sure your mum would love one night off from cooking.

Good idea!!!
  • chubbytiff
    chubbytiff Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    hey hun, i think between 140 to 150 would be a good weight for you. Drink lots and lots of water. I eat oatmeal for breakfast or hard boiled eggs are good for protein and they speed up your motabolism in the morning. You could pack your lunch with turkey and cheese sandwich and some fruit. Watch the carbs. Stay away from chips and crackers. these are my week point. I love greek yogurt it is filling.
  • sailorsiren13
    Options
    Hi Kelly I have been struggling since junior year of high school now i am a mom of a just turned 16 yo girl...since i started my journey she has lost 9 lbs without even trying. I'm sorry you don't have a good support system at home. Do any of your teachers allow you to eat in class if so you can pack some nutritious snacks to eat in those classes. My daughter takes snacks and eats in certain classes and takes a healthy lunch. I will be more than happy to add you and give you any advice i can...good luck to you and i hope mfp helps you.
  • kduez96
    Options
    Thank you guys for your help, I really appreciate it! I'll try your suggestions and hopefully they will work :) And good luck on your weight loss journey's as well.
  • Goal_Seeker_1988
    Goal_Seeker_1988 Posts: 1,619 Member
    Options
    Hi Kelly,

Just wanted to say good luck on your weightloss journey remember to take it slow. Don't rush it. Weight training is a great way to get in shape. Also maybe try running instead of walking... Eat a good amount of calories. Being a teenager you'll need to eat more than what they may recommend on here since you are still growing. Just eat foods that are considered healthy... Stay away from foods that don't expire for a year. Example eat fresh or frozen veggies instead of canned veggies. Eat in moderation. If you want a piece of chocolate don't deprive yourself allow yourself to have a piece of chocolate. I don't want to put the idea of carbs being bad into your head but don't eat nothing but bread, noodles and crackers all day. They are also something you want to have in moderation. Eat whole foods that will keep you filled up.

Good luck,
    Emily
  • samf36
    samf36 Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    My daughter is in high school and she packs her breakfast, lunch and snacks ( and a few times a week dinner depending on activities) It takes a little planning but it can be done.
  • mattkellett
    Options
    I figured that I would ask for advice in the Success Stories so I can get help from the people who know what their doing :smile:

I have been on MFP for about two months or so and have only managed to mainly gain weight and only recently have I been able to loose a few pounds.

I am actually only 15 (almost 16 :happy: ) so I am at school until around 3:00. I can't plan out my foods that well because of school and I'm not able to be home exercising all day or go out to the store to by the foods that I should be eating. And because of the other people in my home (who have worse eating habits than I do) I'm surrounded and tempted by so many other foods that I shouldn't be eating. I'm not exactly sure what I should be eating in the first place.

I'm trying to exercise as much as possible. I've been taking my dog on walks for about 20 minutes for the past week or two and I have also been doing the elliptical for about 30 minutes, also for about a week or two. I don't know what other exercises I can do and I don't want to get bored doing the same exercises every day.

I weigh about 176 and I am around 5'7 to 5'8. I think a good weight for me would be around 140ish? (do you think that is a good weight?) Which i haven't been since 4th or 5th grade. I want to lose the weight for the summer when we go to the beach and my family is also going to visit family 10 hours away that I haven't seen for about three years and I want to be a whole new me and I just want to shock them.

I'm miserable being the weight that I am and i've tried losing weight before and seemed to only fail. I had lost about 20 pounds last year on weight watchers but I just gained it all back by the end of summer.

I would really appreciate any advice you have, such as what I should be eating and what other exercises I could be doing.

Thanks for reading and feel free to add me! :smile:

Kelly

Can I be the *kitten* here? but in the nicest way and becuase I truly do care about anyone trying to lose weight.

You need to change your verbage, " I can't plan out my foods that well because of school"- I am sorry, you choose not to

and

"I'm not able to be home exercising all day or go out to the store to by the foods that I should be eating"- again you are choosing not to, you need to have priorities, school, yourself , then friends (if thats the order you like) no one has time to workout for more than 1 hour that I know of, but they make it work somewhere in their schedules (before work/ school, after school/ work, during a break, etc...)

Yo are doing great with the exercising witht he dog, take he/ she out every night. I say all of this with a lot of care and warmth in my heart for you. but this isnt easy for anyone, you can do this, you just have to decide to do this, and MAKE IT HAPPEN!!!!

I hope you know I mean this in the right way!? good luck to you, and I am always around if you want some "real talk" : )
  • ckmnaguilar
    Options
    You being the same height as I am, when I was your age I weighed about 170 and I looked good! And from what I can see you look healthy and your a beautiful young lady! I don't know your bone structure but I think you may be being a lil hard on yourself! Just stay active and eat as many fresh non-processed things you can. Join a sports team that interests you or a work out group at your local gym, that helps me a-lot now that I have put on baby weight since I was ur age :) I you have a small frame then the weight you want to be is low still! I think you may be going by other girls standards, you are a tall girl and weighing between 150 and 160 is healthy!
  • pdworkman
    pdworkman Posts: 1,342 Member
    Options
    Exactly. I work full time, cook everything from scratch (multiple allergies), homeschool my LD son, and am in charge of the children's ministry at my church. Among other things. I still have time to work out every day, menu plan, grocery shop, etc. You can do it too, if you decide to stop making excuses. You can do it!

Can I be the *kitten* here? but in the nicest way and becuase I truly do care about anyone trying to lose weight.

You need to change your verbage, " I can't plan out my foods that well because of school"- I am sorry, you choose not to

and

"I'm not able to be home exercising all day or go out to the store to by the foods that I should be eating"- again you are choosing not to, you need to have priorities, school, yourself , then friends (if thats the order you like) no one has time to workout for more than 1 hour that I know of, but they make it work somewhere in their schedules (before work/ school, after school/ work, during a break, etc...)

Yo are doing great with the exercising witht he dog, take he/ she out every night. I say all of this with a lot of care and warmth in my heart for you. but this isnt easy for anyone, you can do this, you just have to decide to do this, and MAKE IT HAPPEN!!!!

I hope you know I mean this in the right way!? good luck to you, and I am always around if you want some "real talk" : )
  • Matt_Wild
    Matt_Wild Posts: 2,673 Member
    Options
    Agreed, for a start you are on here chatting. I hear that from other people too saying they don't have time and have hours spent on Facebook and the like!

1440 mins in a day and and 10080 in a week. If you can't spare 300 or so of that 10k, something is wrong.
  • Smuterella
    Smuterella Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    Ummm, she is 15. I don't think she is in charge of the grocery shopping.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!