HIIT with elliptical

Options
I was wondering if anyone has done HIIT with their elliptical? If so, how did you do it? Also, what are your thoughts on HIIT workouts? Thanks.

Replies

• NatalieBrooke88
    NatalieBrooke88 Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Yes, I have. The great part of HIIT training is you can do it on virtually any cardio machine.

I warmed up for 2 minutes
    I picked a midhigh resistance - S0, a 7 out of 10.
    I pushed at a slow to moderate pace for 30 seconds
    I pushed as hard as I could for 1 minute.

Keep switching back and forth until you hit 25 minutes.

You should be drenched when your done. Your hard push segment should be very difficult. This workout is all about PUSHING yourself.

HIIT training is AMAZING.
  • Novikay
    Options
    Yes, I have. The great part of HIIT training is you can do it on virtually any cardio machine.

I warmed up for 2 minutes
    I picked a midhigh resistance - S0, a 7 out of 10.
    I pushed at a slow to moderate pace for 30 seconds
    I pushed as hard as I could for 1 minute.

Keep switching back and forth until you hit 25 minutes.

You should be drenched when your done. Your hard push segment should be very difficult. This workout is all about PUSHING yourself.

HIIT training is AMAZING.

great response!

I do just about the same thing. And sometimes after, I'll do low impact for10-15 minutes also, if i'm feeling fiesty.
  • adriana_hackney
    adriana_hackney Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much!!!
  • adriana_hackney
    Options
    I use my elliptical every day. Do I do HIIT every time, or only certain days??
  • Novikay
    Options
    I wouldn't. I do it 3 times a week, personally.
  • kelleymeg
    kelleymeg Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    agreed. my boyfriend who is super fit turned me on to HIIT training. Its about quality not quantity. you can achieve great results in less time. what i love about it is that i tend to feel the results for a while afterwards. I prefer the elliptical because i have a bad knee, but on the off-chance that i have to use a treadmill, i find HIIT training to be less strenuous on my joints because you are only running really hard for a short amount of time, then you have some time to take a bit of a "rest" which ramps you up for the next minute of very hard work.
  • adriana_hackney
    Options
    Awesome!! Gonna get started tomorrow :))
  • NatalieBrooke88
    Options
    Some will say only do HIIT 2-3 times a week. However, always let your body be your guide.

Also. HIIT training with strength training combined is my preferred workout.

For example:
    Squat with upright rows 1 minute
    20 second rest
    Burpees with knee to elbow 1 minute
    20 second rest
    Pushup with opposite arm raise 1 minute
    20 second rest

And so on..

If you need any other ideas, let me know :)
  • NatalieBrooke88
    Options
    agreed. my boyfriend who is super fit turned me on to HIIT training. Its about quality not quantity. you can achieve great results in less time. what i love about it is that i tend to feel the results for a while afterwards. I prefer the elliptical because i have a bad knee, but on the off-chance that i have to use a treadmill, i find HIIT training to be less strenuous on my joints because you are only running really hard for a short amount of time, then you have some time to take a bit of a "rest" which ramps you up for the next minute of very hard work.

Exactly
  • adriana_hackney
    Options
    Some will say only do HIIT 2-3 times a week. However, always let your body be your guide.

Also. HIIT training with strength training combined is my preferred workout.

For example:
    Squat with upright rows 1 minute
    20 second rest
    Burpees with knee to elbow 1 minute
    20 second rest
    Pushup with opposite arm raise 1 minute
    20 second rest

And so on..

If you need any other ideas, let me know :)

I definitely will. Thanks a bunch. I'm new to the exercise thing and iv'e recently discovered that I really like it. As a matter of fact I love sweating...lol...and I LOVE the shower afterwards :)
  • Ant_the_old_keith_lemon
    Options
    i warm up with a midrange resistance for 10 mins.

then i select a 7/8 of the max resistance similar to above, i then do one min flat out say 65-70rpm and one min at half speed say 30-40 rpm on the same high resistance. due to my fitness i do 4 reps of these and have a 2 min recovery - i generaly do 4 of "my" interval reps and cool down for 10 mins, paying attention to heart rate.

i am indeed WET when i finish - but this method has helped me loose a significant amount of mass in a short time nearly 40 lbs in 3 months... however its impact on my endurance and capacity is noticable weekly as when i do a std work out i have to keep selecting a higher resistance nealry every week in order to maintain 148-156 bpm...

i think the way i have been training may have been too hard for a fatty bombom - but now im kinda nearly at a pont where i could take on some serious adventures :)
  • adriana_hackney
    Options
    i warm up with a midrange resistance for 10 mins.

then i select a 7/8 of the max resistance similar to above, i then do one min flat out say 65-70rpm and one min at half speed say 30-40 rpm on the same high resistance. due to my fitness i do 4 reps of these and have a 2 min recovery - i generaly do 4 of "my" interval reps and cool down for 10 mins, paying attention to heart rate.

i am indeed WET when i finish - but this method has helped me loose a significant amount of mass in a short time nearly 40 lbs in 3 months... however its impact on my endurance and capacity is noticable weekly as when i do a std work out i have to keep selecting a higher resistance nealry every week in order to maintain 148-156 bpm...

i think the way i have been training may have been too hard for a fatty bombom - but now im kinda nearly at a pont where i could take on some serious adventures :)

I've been doing 20 minutes/5 days a week on 6 resistance the entire workout. At first I thought I would die, but now i'm ok :)) I'm really excited about doing this.
  • Ant_the_old_keith_lemon
    Options
    keep us posted on your results, it works and works well. people will go wtf is she doing flat out then slow.... but they just arent in the know ha
  • R_is_for_Rachel
    R_is_for_Rachel Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    Very interested in the idea of HIIT, going to have a go this morning on my crosstrainer!
  • zafferFL
    zafferFL Posts: 402
    Options
    This all sounds like interval training, which, don't get me wrong is a great way to train. But, pushing at a true Max you will not make 1 minute and fail at more like 15 seconds.
  • ltl_leah
    ltl_leah Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I do HIIT on the elliptical about 2 x a week. I do it as follows:

Begin on a fairly easy resistance, such as 2 or 3, for 3 minutes.
    At a 16 resistance, I'll go all out for 1 minute at about 9 miles per hr speed.
    Then, switch back to your 2-3 resistance for another 3 minutes, then repeat the sprint.
    I do the intervals for 30 minutes.
  • gpitts85
    gpitts85 Posts: 6
    Options
    I do HIIT on my elliptical as well. I have a bad knee so it is less painful to do on the elliptical than a treadmill. My workout on it is as follows..

25 minutes

5 minutes I warm up at a 7 for the entire 5 minutes..

2 minutes I get up to 65 or higher RPMs going front ways

30 seconds lower around 40 - 45 RPMs

2 minutes I increase my RPMs back to 65 or higher going backwards.

I just repeat that process for the entire 20 minutes remaining after the 5 minute warm up.. Sometimes afterwards if im still feeling ok I will just cool down for 15 - 20 minutes on a low intensity..

I am still kinda new to the HIIT on elliptical so if I am going to low please suggest what RPMs I should be doing..

On a side note what do you enter when doing HIIT for your excersise. I have still been entering elliptical trainer and how many minutes I have done however I know im burning much more doing HIIT on the elliptical then low intensity
  • LivyB14
    LivyB14 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I'm trying this tomorrow!
  • zafferFL
    zafferFL Posts: 402
    Options
    I do HIIT on my elliptical as well. I have a bad knee so it is less painful to do on the elliptical than a treadmill. My workout on it is as follows..

25 minutes

5 minutes I warm up at a 7 for the entire 5 minutes..

2 minutes I get up to 65 or higher RPMs going front ways

30 seconds lower around 40 - 45 RPMs

2 minutes I increase my RPMs back to 65 or higher going backwards.

I just repeat that process for the entire 20 minutes remaining after the 5 minute warm up.. Sometimes afterwards if im still feeling ok I will just cool down for 15 - 20 minutes on a low intensity..

I am still kinda new to the HIIT on elliptical so if I am going to low please suggest what RPMs I should be doing..

On a side note what do you enter when doing HIIT for your excersise. I have still been entering elliptical trainer and how many minutes I have done however I know im burning much more doing HIIT on the elliptical then low intensity

This is a good interval workout, which will get you results, but I doubt you are getting into a heart rate zone for this to be considered HIIT.

RPM on the machine will be different for everyone.

The key is to push yourself as hard as you can, if you can maintain the pace for 2 full minutes then it's probably not close to your max. You also look like you are at a ratio of 4:1, that's a bit high as well, you should be around 1:1 or 2:1 for intense/rest.
    Backwards and forwards make no difference, you are concerned with heart rate here, nothing else.

You can use a HRM monitor and calculate your , or listen to your body. I always remember my martial arts trainer saying that once you are at 80% of your max, you have another 80% to go.

I'm very dubious of the elliptical as a tool for HIIT at all. To get to the speed and/or resistance you need to increase your heart rate enough you will probably be very unstable.

More useful is a spinning bike, sprinting outside (not on a treadmill) or swimming.
  • gpitts85
    gpitts85 Posts: 6
    Options
    Thanks zafferFL,

I will do that when my HIIT day comes back around. I will make sure to push myself harder regardless of if it is in the 60s or not to make sure I get that full effect of it. Thanks again for your input it is much appreciated. I am still new so I wanted to make sure that I was getting the full benefits of it. I will let you all know how it goes.