Soy burger vs Turkey burger?

Options
I've had turkey burger and I like it but have never had soy burger. Can anyone tell me their experience with it? Does it taste like burger? Is it better then turkey burger? Any help would be appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Replies

• WickedGarden
    WickedGarden Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    I have had ground turkey and turkey bacon...it's ok for being turkey.

I have had some soy burgers, and it really depends on the brand...personally, I did not like Boca brand.

one example of a sandwich i had was that I switched out the turkey for a GardenBurger, and saved almost 200 calories for the swap. I really liked the sandwich better! I would choose any meatless patty over turkey any day. I just find turkey to be very dry, no matter what.

There will be no replacement for that 'burger' taste...
  • jerber160
    jerber160 Posts: 2,606 Member
    Options
    I've learned not to call ground chicken or ground turkey 'burgers.' In my mind burgers are beef and putting ketchup on the ground poultry seemed weird to me. Once I renamed them either chicken or turkey 'patties' and cooked them on my new george foreman grill ( and avoided ketchup-mustard is OK for me) all was well.. i'm curious now to hear about soy....
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options
    Neither. Just find some grass fed beef. Lots of iron, its lean, natural occurring CLA and other vital nutrients.

I eat grass fed burger wrapped in lettuce, with tomato, red onion, pickles and mustard...........OMG good and what I had last night for supper with a salad. YUMMO
  • rjt1000
    rjt1000 Posts: 700 Member
    Options
    what's the benefit of eating turkey burgers? Ground turkey has as much fat as ground beef usually. Buy the 90% lean beef and it's lower in fat and calories than the ground turkey I see in the stores. And tastes much better as well.

I understand soy if you're vegetarian. But I just don't see any benefit of turkey over beef. If somebody does, clue me in.
  • quinto1025
    quinto1025 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Neither. Just find some grass fed beef. Lots of iron, its lean, natural occurring CLA and other vital nutrients.

I eat grass fed burger wrapped in lettuce, with tomato, red onion, pickles and mustard...........OMG good and what I had last night for supper with a salad. YUMMO

This
  • bridgeo74
    bridgeo74 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I eat Boca and Morningstar "burger"s. The other night my husband put mine on the grill and it was really good!!! You just have to try them to see if you like them...the fake "chicken" patties and "riblets" are pretty good too!!
  • tbresina
    tbresina Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    I love boca burgers, I am vegetarian so I eat a lot of soy! I saute them in a tiny bit of cardio butter and toast the whole wheat bun!
  • tbresina
    tbresina Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    I eat Boca and Morningstar "burger"s. The other night my husband put mine on the grill and it was really good!!! You just have to try them to see if you like them...the fake "chicken" patties and "riblets" are pretty good too!!

Oh the riblets and chicken patties are too die for, no animal had to die to love em too! Its a win win
  • hollyeverhart
    hollyeverhart Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    SOY healthier & no animal had to die for it C: Spicy black bean burgers from morning star are so good.
  • ChristopherFiss
    ChristopherFiss Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    The brand of Soy Burger makes all the difference. Some I've had are amazing, others are barely flavored flat cardboard. I'd recommend experimenting...buy small packs or singles if you have the opportunity and do research on the brand if you can in advance.

I've personally had good "OK to Amazing" luck when the burger patties include mushroom in the "filler" ingredients.
  • triplejay1
    triplejay1 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Men should avoid soy if possible, it lowers testosterone levels.
  • becoming_a_new_me
    becoming_a_new_me Posts: 1,860 Member
    Options
    I love the Boca Burgers and Morning Star Burgers. I also like the Turkey burgers too, but the awesome flavors of the Boca and Morning Star...I actually prefer them over beef.
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options
    I used to eat morning star allll the time. They are delicious. A piece of cheese, some ketchup and mustard on bread and yum!!! maybe some oven baked french fries! oh my...
  • jerber160
    jerber160 Posts: 2,606 Member
    Options
    [/quote]

Oh the riblets and chicken patties are too die for, no animal had to die to love em too! Its a win win
    [/quote]
    "What poor unfortunate creature had to die for you to wear that (fur coat)?"
    "My Aunt Trudi"

gotta love some Hedwig
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    Options
    Men should avoid soy if possible, it lowers testosterone levels.

Yes, and so should women. It makes the estrogen levels too high which is not good.

Soy is a very estrogenic food for both men and women.
  • Yakisoba
    Yakisoba Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    Quorn is good. :D
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    Options

Those are Monsanto burgers and I wouldn't touch them if they were the last food on earth. I would starve before eating that processed crap.

Why buy "fake" meat when the real thing is much better and healthier for you also?
  • Sublog
    Sublog Posts: 1,296 Member
    Options
    I've had turkey burger and I like it but have never had soy burger. Can anyone tell me their experience with it? Does it taste like burger? Is it better then turkey burger? Any help would be appreciated. Thank you in advance.
    I don't know.. Eat a real burger. I buy 91% lean ones and they're great.
  • weathergirl320
    Options
    soy is no good at all. stay away!
  • daffodilsoup
    daffodilsoup Posts: 1,972 Member
    Options
    Soy burgers (or any veggie burger, really, not just soy) are delicious in their own right, but the biggest mistake people make is biting into them thinking that they'll taste like meat. They are certainly delicious, but they won't fool anyone for meat.

I love Boca vegan patties, Dr. Praeger's natural California veggie burgers, or homemade plant or seitan burgers, if you're afraid of the soy. They're definitely worth a try though, and can add some great taste and variety into vegetarian and omnivorous diets.