Best Diet Foods

Options
So I just recently started with MFP and I was wondering what types of foods does would people recommend for staying withing our nutritional goals for the day? I love chocolate/crackers/cheese, so any types of recommendations would be greatly appreciated :)

Replies

• falconspicegirl99
    Options
    I think a good, basic way to start is by asking yourself if a food was made in a factory or made by Mother Nature. Think about foods that don't have a barcode. This is a very rudimentary way to look at it, but it's a way to look at food a little bit differently.
  • Cowenlaw1
    Cowenlaw1 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Anything by Skinny Cow.
  • quinto1025
    quinto1025 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I think a good, basic way to start is by asking yourself if a food was made in a factory or made by Mother Nature. Think about foods that don't have a barcode. This is a very rudimentary way to look at it, but it's a way to look at food a little bit differently.

This. Whole foods are the best.
  • Kanzaki3
    Kanzaki3 Posts: 656 Member
    Options
    I'm an oatmeal addict. Not only does it taste good but it's healthy for you. You can always add all sorts of stuff in it to keep the meal interesting and flavorful.
  • liveXxfree
    liveXxfree Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Try avocados! After eating a serving (half) I always feel satisfied, not full but I don't feel like snacking anymore. Plus they contain fat soluble vitamins which aids in the absorption of other nutrients... maximizes your absorption potential! I often eat a half with lunch or supper/ whenever I'm taking my daily vitamins :)

I would also try almond milk, it's low in calories, packed with good stuff and tastes amazing! I often get the sweetened version (60 cals for 250ml) but there's an unsweetened one as well and It comes in chocolate too.

I also like slicing up and apple for a small snack, sprinkling cinnamon on it and popping it in the microwave for a min. It sort of tastes like apple pie! .. I've also been meaning to drizzle honey over it..

Quinoa is an amazingg to cook with instead of rice, it's the only gain that is a complete protein which is great if you don't eat a lot of meat!
  • ALH1981
    ALH1981 Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    there is a great dessert called arctic zero - its 150 calories for a whole pint!!!
  • brookebattaglia
    Options
    Thanks for all the great replies everyone! I am looking forward to going to the grocery store tomorrow to stock up on some healthy options. Oh and BTW, sorry about all the typing errors in my first post, obviously I wasn't paying too much attention to my typing lol
  • brookebattaglia
    Options
    Oh and also since I'm new I'd love to have more friends on MFP so I can track my peers progress, so feel free to add me! :)
  • sunshine3737
    sunshine3737 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I keep Skinny Cow chocolates around for the sweet cravings and I love the Special K chip crackers for the salty crunchy cravings! They have sour cream and onion and you get 27 chips per serving so I feel like I am having a lot. I always plan for those cravings and try to keep a variety of substitutes around. Special K also has crackers that taste like wheat thins as well. Frozen yogurt for the ice cream cravings. I don't snack everyday on these but have them just in case. My new addiction is cuties oranges. I don't normally care for oranges but these are really good and very easy to peel. There are 2 for serving and I will grab a couple when I sit down to watch t.v. and munch on them. I'm sure there are healthier snacks but those are my favorites to have around.
  • gp79
    gp79 Posts: 1,799 Member
    Options
    MFP has a huge database available to you. While dieting you should be eating the foods you like while trying to follow some guidelines. Either RDA, which are probably close to what MFP is already suggesting you or something like the following:

1g protein per lb of lean body mass
    .35 - .45 g fat per lb

The night prior, start building your diary for the day, fill it up with foods you like and make the numbers work.
  • papa3x
    papa3x Posts: 286
    Options
    Non processed foods.... keep all the nasty junk out of your body.