having issues getting to 1200 calories a day

Options
So I'm a vegetarian and I am constantly having issues getting to 1200 calories a day. Does anyone have any suggestions of some nutrient dense foods i should be eating to boost this up.
I keep getting the little warning in MFP about my body going into starvation mode with the amount of calories that I eat but I'm eating 3 regular meals and tons of snacks a day... i'm very new to this whole meal planning thing so any help would be awesome
Thanks..

Replies

• nikkilou1978
    nikkilou1978 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Nuts, avocado, peanut butter are all higher calorie.
  • smokinjackd
    Options
    Food buffers are, Steel Cut Oats ( porridge) , Raw Almonds, Flax Seed added to, well, anything. Vegetable oils are great, brown rice added to salads, veggie chili and the like, all high calorie low everything else foods.
  • tmaslyk
    Options
    thanks so much !
  • sherene69
    Options
    I too have issues reaching 1200 cal a day due to a mass in my stomach. I am always way under this goal and when I exercise I have a huge deficit think 1400-1600 cal. so if you can figure out a way let me know too.. I also am Mostly vegetarian.
  • katie133
    katie133 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    cook with olive oil, or use it in your salads..eat avocados, bananas, nuts, lentils, add cheeses to your meals, greek yogurt (not really cal dense, but lots of protein)
    022412 Posts: 11
    Options
    Put butter on everything
    You won't regret it :)

http://www.livingthenourishedlife.com/2011/09/10-reasons-why-i-love-butter.html

I would avoid vegetable oils, nuts, etc, they're quite inflammatory if consumed regularly
    Don't heat unsaturated fats (flaxseeds, olive oil) - they're better off raw

Saturated fats handle heat quite well, on the other hand
  • BunnyKiller
    Options
    Beer...lots and lots of beer. Haha no....no.....just kidding. Olive Oil is definitely a good choice. Also, whole wheat pastas and I think peas are supposed to be a higher calorie veggie along with avocado.
  • seekingstrengthX2
    Options
    Sprinkle wheat germ, flax seeds or chia seeds on your food.

Tofu

Nuts

Soy based protein shake would probably be helpful.
  • tmaslyk
    Options
    Thanks guys so much.. this helps a lot.. i already regularly drink vega meal replacement drink so i guess i'll just have to stock up on the healthy snacks and such!