how many calories do 'YOU' aim to burn for work outs?

Options
1235»

Replies

• vmclach
    vmclach Posts: 670 Member
    Options
    500-700
  • _Kitten_Kate
    _Kitten_Kate Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    Depends on what I am doing... but try to stay realistic.

I know a general 30 min Jillian Video I will burn about 200ish. But I long hike I hope to burn 900... but dont alway hit that mark.

but I don't feel bad about it either. Any burn is better than none.

What people burn while exercising varies from person to person. Pointless to compare yourself to anyone else.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    at my weight and considering the workouts i do, i aim for about 1000 calories burned. some days that's a reach for me and go at my routine with less vigor so that can drop to as much as 600.
  • baronsgal65
    Options
    I try to burn between 200 & 300 with cardio (takes about 30-40 minutes,depending on the level of difficulty) and another 200 with weight lifting & resistance machines, usually takes about another 30-40 min..but I hear ya, I feel like sometimes its not enough to get the job done
  • Scampidoodle
    Options
    I aim for around 500cals according to the machines at my gym.

But I know that as this is the machine read out it isn't the actual calories I've burnt so I use it as a measure of my effort and a way to make sure I get a similar burn even if I use different machines.

If I work hard for for my 45-50 minutes of cardio, then I burn around 500cals.

I try and do this 3-4 times a week and then one Zumba class where I burn 450cals according to my HRM. But I also work part time as a dog walker so walk 3-6miles atleast on a daily basis so burn calories this way.

I wish I could use my HRM at the gym to find out how many calories I actually burn but as the machines are so close together it interferes with everyone elses.
  • Colbyandsage
    Colbyandsage Posts: 751 Member
    Options
    I aim for at least 400 calories 5-6 days a week. I use a HRM to get a fairly accurate count. Before using it, I thought I was burning a lot more calories than I actually was. But it takes me 60 minutes on average to reach that 400 cal mark on the elliptical or doing zumba so it is pretty difficult to get much more in a day.

^^^^^ this. I love my HRM but it gave me a reality check!
  • hope516
    hope516 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    I also do not AIM to burn a number of calories. I give it my ALL and can't wait to see what I did. If the number is low I try to do better the next day, and if it is what I thought it should be I still try to do better :drinker:
  • runnercheryl
    runnercheryl Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    I usually do anything up to 200, sometimes as little as 30, depending how much time I have and how motivated I'm feeling. Plus, usually I walk to and from work which burns 500 calories four days a week. Haven't done that in almost a month due to me being ill and then my fiance being ill.

I'd far rather burn 40 calories in 10-15 minutes on a day when I'm not feeling motivated and running low on time than force myself to fit in a larger burn and end up hating exercise - I've been trying to commit to certain exercises and certain burns for about 16 months now and never enjoyed it, but got a HRM a few weeks ago and I'm learning to like my exercise now that I can add more variety and I'm not trying to do loads.
  • MistressOfHate
    Options
    I burn around 200-250 in about 20 minutes with the Jillian DVD's. That's fine for me. I'm not a huge fan of exercise but I do it 5 times a week. I've lost 32 pounds and I'm not going to bed hungry so it's all good.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    I try to aim for 800-1000 3 days a week- and 400-600 on the other 2
  • GlitterGoldJem
    GlitterGoldJem Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I always achieve at least 350 if I have a busy day or cannot do a full workout but normally I end up burning between 600-850.