Soy burger vs Turkey burger?

Options

Replies

• LatinaGordita
    LatinaGordita Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    I like the 1/4 pound morningstar griller.

• 250 calories
    • 3g fiber
    • 26g protein
    • 51% less fat*
    *Morningstar Farms® Grillers® 1/4 Pounder (114g) contains 12g fat per serving, compared with regular ground beef (114g) containing 25g fat per serving.

These are higher in cals because its a bigger pattie. Great for grilling! (I don't eat beef, turkey or chicken)
  • Captain_Tightpants
    Captain_Tightpants Posts: 2,215 Member
    Options
    I eat the Boca soy burgers now and then but not too many of them because I honestly think lean meat is healthier all round. They taste pretty good to me. Go very well with multigrain sandwich thins.
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options
    Turkey burgers are great as long as you season them well and add BBQ sauce. Agreed on the no ketchup thing. Mustard all the way. As for soy burgers...ick. I've never found any faux-meat products that I could stomach. The closest thing to okay I've found was Burger King's veggie burger, which, I guess is a Morningstar Farms veggie patty.
  • junyr
    junyr Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    I eat Boca and Morningstar "burger"s. The other night my husband put mine on the grill and it was really good!!! You just have to try them to see if you like them...the fake "chicken" patties and "riblets" are pretty good too!!

Those are Monsanto burgers and I wouldn't touch them if they were the last food on earth. I would starve before eating that processed crap.

Why buy "fake" meat when the real thing is much better and healthier for you also?

My wife will be very unhappy about this.
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options
    I eat Boca and Morningstar "burger"s. The other night my husband put mine on the grill and it was really good!!! You just have to try them to see if you like them...the fake "chicken" patties and "riblets" are pretty good too!!

Those are Monsanto burgers and I wouldn't touch them if they were the last food on earth. I would starve before eating that processed crap.

Why buy "fake" meat when the real thing is much better and healthier for you also?

I do believe they are GMO free, which makes them exactly NOT monsanto burgers.

Both Kelloggs and Morningstar Farms have drawn criticism from consumers due to concerns over products containing GMO soy and GMO sugarbeets.[4][5] Morningstar Farms offers a few products made with organic soy.

BOCA Foods is being boycotted by the Organic Consumers Association for using GM soy in its burger patties.

BOCA Foods, owned by Kraft, is certainly distrusted by LAgb. BOCA Burgers is a popular so-called “natural” brand of veggie burgers owned by Kraft Foods. Companies like Kraft work hand-in-hand with Monsanto to lace common foods with GM (Genetically Modified) ingredients, with absolutely no labeling nor safety-testing required, and in many cases market these products as “natural.” Kraft, North America’s largest food company, has perfected the art of turning genetically engineered crops and animals raised in factory farms on GMO feed and injected with Monsanto’s (now Elanco’s) rBGH into “food.”

While Kraft/BOCA claims to offer what they describe as “non-GMO” versions of its soy foods, these products are neither certified organic (organic prohibits GMOs) nor monitored by the Non-GMO Project, so it’s impossible to verify BOCA’s non-GMO claims. Likewise, Back to Nature, another so-called “natural” Kraft brand, claims that some of the corn and soy ingredients in their non-organic foods are “non-genetically engineered,” but these claims are not verifiable either.
  • junyr
    junyr Posts: 416 Member
    Options

I do believe they are GMO free, which makes them exactly NOT monsanto burgers.

Both Kelloggs and Morningstar Farms have drawn criticism from consumers due to concerns over products containing GMO soy and GMO sugarbeets.[4][5] Morningstar Farms offers a few products made with organic soy.

BOCA Foods is being boycotted by the Organic Consumers Association for using GM soy in its burger patties.

BOCA Foods, owned by Kraft, is certainly distrusted by LAgb

Yeah, my bad. I was misniformed. Did some additional digging while you were posting this.
  • Trishkit
    Trishkit Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    Soy burgers (or any veggie burger, really, not just soy) are delicious in their own right, but the biggest mistake people make is biting into them thinking that they'll taste like meat. They are certainly delicious, but they won't fool anyone for meat.
    This! We usually keep some Boca burgers on hand in case we're rushed and need a quick bite and have nothing else planned. My meat-loving husband loves them -- I just told him not to expect it to taste like a hamburger and he was fine with it. Kinda surprised me, actually ... he's very picky.

Also, there are a lot of great non-soy "burger" patty recipes out there, made from legumes and other delicious things. Who says it has to taste like meat? Just enjoy it for what it is and take the time to taste all the deliciousness that's involved (if it's from scratch, anyway).
  • Catzwitch
    Catzwitch Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Try Gardein brand. They make amazing products.
  • woou
    woou Posts: 668 Member
    Options
    What about bean burgers? :love:
  • WingMan380
    WingMan380 Posts: 2,139 Member
    Options
    Oh the riblets and chicken patties are too die for, no animal had to die to love em too! Its a win win

I am a meatetarian (that is the total opposite of vegetarian). If I am going to eat meat, I want the real stuff. Like everything in life it is all moderation. After all, I did not rise to the top of the food chain to eat vegetation. How the hell do you think animals in the wild survive, they kill and eat each other!! We are all a part of the animal kingdom and the circle of life. Those deer steaks we had for dinner this evening off the deer my son shot were "to die for", and well babmi did die for them.
  • daffodilsoup
    daffodilsoup Posts: 1,972 Member
    Options
    I am a meatetarian (that is the total opposite of vegetarian). If I am going to eat meat, I want the real stuff. Like everything in life it is all moderation. After all, I did not rise to the top of the food chain to eat vegetation. How the hell do you think animals in the wild survive, they kill and eat each other!! We are all a part of the animal kingdom and the circle of life. Those deer steaks we had for dinner this evening off the deer my son shot were "to die for", and well babmi did die for them.

The thing that makes humans different from the other animals in the animal kingdom is that we have the gifts of empathy, morality and choice. The lion cannot choose not to hunt the gazelle - it's in his genes to be carnivorous. The human, whose body is capable of thriving on a plant-based diet, can choose a path of compassion instead of killing.

If you choose to eat meat, that is completely your choice - but don't kid yourself into thinking it's because it's all part of the food chain - you eat it because you like the way it tastes.

Besides, you don't just have to be vegetarian to enjoy plant-based foods - they are delicious for Lent, Meatless Mondays, or just to add some variety into an omnivorous diet.
  • WingMan380
    Options

The thing that makes humans different from the other animals in the animal kingdom is that we have the gifts of empathy, morality and choice. The lion cannot choose not to hunt the gazelle - it's in his genes to be carnivorous. The human, whose body is capable of thriving on a plant-based diet, can choose a path of compassion instead of killing.

If you choose to eat meat, that is completely your choice - but don't kid yourself into thinking it's because it's all part of the food chain - you eat it because you like the way it tastes.

Besides, you don't just have to be vegetarian to enjoy plant-based foods - they are delicious for Lent, Meatless Mondays, or just to add some variety into an omnivorous diet.

Actually I eat meat because it is good for you and is part of a nutritious and well balanced diet.
  • woou
    Options
    Actually I eat meat because it is good for you and is part of a nutritious and well balanced diet.

I eat meat, too, but I'm aware a well balanced diet can be had without it.
  • daffodilsoup
    Options

A nutritious and well-balanced diet can be achieved without the inclusion of meat.
  • WingMan380
    Options
    A nutritious and well-balanced diet can be achieved without the inclusion of meat.

I eat meat, too, but I'm aware a well balanced diet can be had without it.

If God did not want man to eat meat, then he would not have put it on the earth to eat. The eating of meat is condoned by God. I am a Southern redneck and where I come from we kill our food or we do not eat. I respect your decision to not eat meat even though I do not agree with it, and I ask that people do not condem me for eating meat giving me the bull**** story of it isnt ethical to kill animals for food. The animals were put on this planet for man to eat, therefore I eat.

P.S. - You ain't gonna win, ask my wife!
  • kleighsamboer
    Options
    uuuggghhh! Stay away from soy! It is so bad for women, It acts like weak estrogen. A better option is a veggie burger rather than soy. Sorry to be so blunt but sometimes I think that people have gotten so soy crazy and it really isn't good for you. Especially if you have any issues with pcos, endometriosis, or are trying to conceive.
  • daffodilsoup
    Options
    If God did not want man to eat meat, then he would not have put it on the earth to eat. The eating of meat is condoned by God. I am a Southern redneck and where I come from we kill our food or we do not eat. I respect your decision to not eat meat even though I do not agree with it, and I ask that people do not condem me for eating meat giving me the bull**** story of it isnt ethical to kill animals for food. The animals were put on this planet for man to eat, therefore I eat.

P.S. - You ain't gonna win, ask my wife!

It's not about "winning", it's simple just a matter of fact. People eat healthy, balanced and nutritious diets that are completely free of animal products every day.

I also don't believe that your god exists, so it's just not a justifiable argument for me - but then again, I also think it's convenient that a book written by man, for man is going to give man permission to do pretty much do whatever he wants with species that aren't his own.
  • woou
    Options
    Religion was also used to justify slavery, i.e. the curse of ham. Again, I eat meat, too, and I don't believe there's a justifiable reason for doing so. It's largely due to a disconnect with animals, habit and convenience.
  • lisao62
    lisao62 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    bump
  • emdeegan
    emdeegan Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    if pushed to choose... then turkey burger, HANDS DOWN. (with grass fed organic beef being the over all winner in the patty competition).

soy has phytoestrogens in it that effect your natural body chemistry and is not suggested to be consumed if you have a family history of breast cancer. soy also has more instances of food allergy than wheat...