Weight Loss is Not Linear

Options
ProgressChart-2-1.png?t=1330415645

There are always new posts every day about people who haven't lost weight -- or even gained -- despite doing everything right. They think that since they set their goal at 1.5lbs/week, they should lose a steady 1.5/lbs a week. But even if you meet all your calorie and macro goals and manage to workout a decent amount of time, that is NOT a guarantee that the weight will come off THAT WEEK. Sometimes you gain due to water retention. Maybe you need a food scale or HRM to really, REALLY make sure you're calculating everything right. Maybe you aren't getting enough sleep or drinking enough water. Or maybe there isn't really an explanation you can find. Our bodies are individual things and don't always adhere to the guidelines and goals we set out. My body doesn't do what someone else's does. That's okay.

The graph above is a chart of my personal weight loss progress since August 24. As you can see, sometimes I lose a little weight, sometimes a lot, and sometimes I even gain. I cut out most of the ones where nothing changed just because it took up too much space on the graph. But the TREND is always down. That's the part to focus on. The big picture.

This is a long, long process, and that's okay. When you get frustrated at the scale, think about the trend. And maybe even forget about that number for a bit and consider all the things you do every day that point you in the right direction. For example, I make it a point to eat fruits and/or veggies at every meal, and I always aim to get my 5-9 daily. I try to workout at least 4 times a week. I'm *almost* a US size 12, and I fit into medium tops and dresses for the first time since junior high. That's big news.

So try not to freak out when you don't see the numbers you were hoping for. Just breathe, log it, and keep moving forward. You'll get there in time. It's okay. :flowerforyou:

Replies

• EroseT23
    EroseT23 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Bump -- this got buried last night. =P
  • seekingstrengthX2
    Options
    Awesome post. Thanks!
  • Devinsmama2309
    Options
    I love this! Thank you! I always get so disappointed when I gain for a week. Sometimes it comes right back off, other times it takes a week or two, but I am losing. I need to focus on the big picture more.

P.S.- Great job! You are doing amazing :]
  • shovav91
    shovav91 Posts: 2,335 Member
    Options
    :D Nice post!
  • almc170
    almc170 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    Great post!
  • Eve1972
    Eve1972 Posts: 297
    Options
    Great reminder!!
  • goodasgoldilox165
    goodasgoldilox165 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    This is a helpful visual! Thanks - and well done on your weight loss.
  • FJMilner
    FJMilner Posts: 407
    Options
    Great post, think we all need a reminder of this when those evil scales are harsh! Thanks :bigsmile:
  • btdublin
    btdublin Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Completely agree. Check out mine. I have been losing on average 1kg per week since 1st jan but some weeks that is 1.5kg some only 0.3kg (this week! Grrr!)

1e2khx.jpg
  • jimmysimpson
    Options
    Thx so much.. it is members like yourself who take the time to encourage others like us. This can be very discouraging to the point I dread going to the scales to avaoid frustration and disappointment.Im 62 and struggling and on the verge of saying whats the use. Its comments like yours that just make us want to drive on for another week.
  • LucianaMilk
    Options
    I couldn't agree more.
    It is good to read your post because I am used to be anxious about this not linear weight loss.
  • mohanj
    mohanj Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    A sigh of relief knowing the weight loss is not linear. Thank you for posting the weight loss graphically and giving us encouragement to keep us going when the scale is not kind to us.
  • lrd2010
    lrd2010 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    BUMP!

Everyone with loads of weight to lose should read this! Great Post!
  • gidgeclev
    gidgeclev Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    The older you get the more this seems to be true. I used to lose at a steady rate but now I'm 53 it can be all over the place. But the rate is downwards over the long term. Weighing in the evening is hopeless, I can put on up to 5 pounds between the morning and evening depending on what I have eaten or drunk.
  • btdublin
    btdublin Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Completely agree. Check out mine. I have been losing on average 1kg per week since 1st jan but some weeks that is 1.5kg some only 0.3kg (this week! Grrr!)

1e2khx.jpg

This is also a reason why I recommend weighing in every day. You will quickly learn it is not linear and understand how your body reacts to your diet/exercise/TOTM (for the ladies). Will help you make right choices.
  • shana_phoenix83
    shana_phoenix83 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Awesome visual- this really puts things into perspective. I tend to get discouraged and it's hard to see the trend at times. Thanks so much!
  • JeNn45nFiT
    JeNn45nFiT Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Bump for later :)
  • Lrt4uk
    Lrt4uk Posts: 174
    Options
    Thanks! It's so hard not to be disappointed with a gain at weigh in, but you're right. What's there this week will disappear over time and the trend is loss. That's what matters! Thanks for the reminder!
  • ktrn0312
    ktrn0312 Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    Thanks For the post. I experienced this similar pattern also.
  • Reinventing_Me
    Reinventing_Me Posts: 1,053 Member
    Options
    GREAT POST!!! Thanks so much!