Replies

• incendia3
    incendia3 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Eat Your Vegetables chips.
  • sjv1966
    sjv1966 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I love chips too but I buy them only in 1-oz snack bags. That way I can still "eat the whole bag" but stay within a reasonable portion. a 1-oz bag of Nacho Cheese Doritos is about 150 calories -- totaly doable.
  • snowstorme
    snowstorme Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I use baby multi colored bell peppers. Very crunchy and a good flavor to go with salsa.
  • JennyZD
    JennyZD Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Have you tried Gina's SkinnyTaste recipes?

http://www.skinnytaste.com/2011/04/salsa-picante-roja.html

edit: sorry I posted the recipe of the salsa but I think she might have good subs for the chips. ENJOY!
  • 0AmyMarie0
    Options
    You guys are AWESOME!!!! Thank you so much for all of the ideas! I plan on trying several of them :)
  • jsenecal12
    Options
    I've been having the same cravings, so you know what I did? I got a package of corn tortillas (90 calories in two of them!). I use two at a time, and cut them up into twelfths. I lay them all out on a cookie sheet and spray them very lightly with canola cooking spray, and then bake them at 350 for ten minutes or until they look super tasty XD. And of course I eat salsa with them, so it's about 100 calories for a super delicious, non-guilty snack! That way I don't feel deprived and I can make a single serving at a time.
  • cyuenkel
    cyuenkel Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I actually bake mine to cut out the frying process. you take corn tortillas and brush some olive oil on the top then cut them into triangles. then i add some salt and lime juice (it makes them crispier) and you bake them!
    Edit: the person above me pretty much summed it up too! lol
  • danica_0711
    Options
    great suggestion! I make mine out of corn tortillas all the time, it's great for portion control and lower in calorie :)
  • kristina1105
    Options
    I buy chips that are organic, baked and whole grain. Even though the calories are about the same, you are getting much more out of what you eat rather than empty calories and fake chemicals
  • 2Phat1
    2Phat1 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I don't know if you have it where you are but we have a product available called Mountain Bread. It is low fat and a bit like pita and comes in spare sheets. Cut it into triangles and bake and it makes a great chip to dip into salsa.
  • cfrollins
    cfrollins Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Cut celery into bite size chunks.. It is delicious with any salsa and gives you a nice crunch!

I did that yesterday :) its wonderful! and pretty much guilt free!
  • wftiger
    wftiger Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    Make your own chips. I use Mission extra thin corn tortillas and cut into wedges and bake in toaster oven. I don't use oil or salt so 80 cals for 16 chips, only about 10 mg sodium and I think about 14 carbs (but didn't look so not sure).

And salsa is easy. If not watching sodium just open up can of Rotel. If you are then get real tomatos, onions and peppers, add a touch of lime and cilantro.
  • aghack
    aghack Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • jennylppp
    Options
    agreed with baking your own chips... its easy if you get healthy tortillas... plus, store bought salsa is high in sodium, which if you dont watch, you will retain a lot of water weight. your best best is to make fresh homemade salsa too. from one salsa lover to another, homemade salsa fresco is AWESOME. id prefer making it over buying salsa anyday... I usually do the following;

Ingredients:
    •2 tablespoons finely chopped onion
    •2 small cloves garlic, minced
    •3 large ripe tomatoes, peeled and seeds removed, chopped
    •2 hot chile peppers, Serrano or Jalapeno, finely chopped (use 1 if you dont like it too spicy)
    •2 to 3 tablespoons minced cilantro
    •1 1/2 to 2 tablespoons lime juice (i use closer to 2 because i love the lime taste)
    •salt and pepper

Put chopped onion and garlic in a strainer; pour 2 cups boiling water over them then let drain throughly. Discard water. Cool.
    Combine onions and garlic with chopped tomatoes, peppers, cilantro, lime juice, salt, and pepper. Refrigerate for 2 to 4 hours to blend flavors. This ends up being about two servings that totals 35 calories, 0 fat, 0 cholesterol, 25 mg sodium, 3g sugar and 1g protein... ALSO - if you like the lime flavor, squeeze a little on the tortilla chips immediately after they come out of the oven! you'll be happy you did :)
  • Dare2Believe
    Dare2Believe Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I love homemade pita chips made with mini whole wheat pitas, spray with Pam olive oil spray & sprinkled with spices. Bake for about 8-10 minutes. So good.
  • MsALMill
    MsALMill Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Like you I've always had problems with portion control so I have learned with chips to purchase the individual size serving bags and that has been a big help.
  • briggsy13
    briggsy13 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Not sure if someone else mentioned these or not, but baked tostitoes scoops? 14 chips is a serving and with some salsa is a yummy snack!!! I'd be interested to know of some homemade that are less fat or calories than them though.
  • lovetms
    lovetms Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Trader Joe's makes a baked blue corn tortilla chip that I really like. It's 110 calories for 1 oz, which compared to Tositos that usually come in around 150 calories isn't too bad. Plus the chips are very small and thin so you get a lot of chips in 1 serving, that always makes me feel like I'm eating more.
  • daryls
    daryls Posts: 260
    Options
    One serving - I literally count out my chips - 14! I eat the trader joe's organic white corn tortilla chips. It's my biggest weakness too, so I work hard to just eat one serving.
  • coffeegirl1998
    coffeegirl1998 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    The homemade chips sound awesome!