Online Dating?

Options
online dating site...... anyone experienced this before? any good experience? too many bad experiences?
You beleive yuo can truly meet someone compatible for you? Or do you think its just a waste of time, just looking for quick fun chit-chat?

Replies

• suztheq
    suztheq Posts: 171
    Options
    My nephew met his wife online. Not sure which site, but there's a success story for you :smile:
  • shander7
    shander7 Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    My sister met her bf from and online site and my uncle and new aunt met on one as well :) I know my sister when on one or 2 weird dates first, but then she met her current bf and they are very happy together! They've been together for over a year and are actually living together now (she wouldn't do that without knowing it was real) So I really think you get out of it what you put into it!

Edit to say: my sister met her bf on match.com and my uncle met his wife on eharmony.com
  • MelanieAG05
    MelanieAG05 Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    met my husband on one! met a whole bunch of losers prior to that on them as well though lol
  • cnsmith2
    cnsmith2 Posts: 539 Member
    Options
    It has pros and cons.

I met my husband on one about 13.5 years ago, and in April we celebrate our 12 year wedding anniversary. :)
  • nette_65
    nette_65 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I met my current partner online, we've been together 10 months in March and he is my world !
  • AKosky585
    AKosky585 Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    I met my husband on Plentyoffish.com

He is the sweetest, kindest person and we are so compatible in every way (beliefs, personality, sarcasm, sense of humor...). We've been together for 5 years.

The key is to go with your gut instinct before meeting somebody in person...talk and get to know them through email and talking on the phone. If you get red flags, then trust your instincts.
  • Bonita_Lynne_58
    Bonita_Lynne_58 Posts: 2,845 Member
    Options
    My sister met her husband on one. They are truly happily married.
  • Kdingo
    Kdingo Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I've done it off and on for a few years. I always wait week (or more) before meeting someone and all the experiances I've had have been positive. Some are even still friends.

I think people show their charachters faster online, they feel safe. If they can hold a normal converstation for a few weeks, then you are wayyy ahead.

I've had luck, just be careful. No giving them money and not to much personal information.:flowerforyou:
  • Capt_Chev
    Capt_Chev Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I definitely met my fair share of crazies from dating sites! But its still fun and I like it better then the creeps at the clubs!
  • missle30
    missle30 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I met my fiance on match.com three years ago. I, too, went on some weird dates with some losers before I met him, but it was totally worth it! :)
  • Julzanne72
    Julzanne72 Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    I will say I did it, and I liked the ability to talk to someone via email, etc before comitting to meeting them and I met an amazing guy online!! We have been together for 6-months tomorrow. I know for me after my divorce, I did the bar thing, and the guys I was meeting out were really not the kid of guys I wanted to be with.....so I opted, after encouragement from several friends, to try the online thing. It was great for me:) Best of luck to you!!
  • Natx83
    Natx83 Posts: 1,308 Member
    Options
    It can be first fun but also can be terrible. The terrible stories I look back on now are just friggin hilarious so in the end if you find your one and only it's all win win!!
  • caligirl2802
    caligirl2802 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I've been on and off of them for a year, met some nice people, met some weirdos, but not really had any success as far as dating - probably not the fault of the site, I just think my Mr Right is just not out there. But on a plus side, one of the sites did such a good job of matching me with someone that I actually met a guy that has now become my best friend :smile:
  • traciwe
    Options
    met my boyfriend of plenty of fish.com and i could have never found anyone more perfect for me and would have probably never met him without the help of a dating site! i highly recomment them :) just be careful and talk with them for a while through internet, phone, and text before meeting and make sure someone knows when you go on your first date and where
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    I've only gone on one date from an online source. It was great. We didn't wind up together, but it was a nice date.

I've heard a lot of stories about weird dates and all that. I'm picky online. So, maybe my filter is really high. I haven't had a weird one. I've had a few close calls via messaging or phone, but I saw through it before we dated.

I use pof.com. It's a free site, which lowers your risk of failure but increases your risk of weirdness. The paid sites seem to desperate. Sorry if that offends. Maybe it depends on what you want out of it. I'm not looking for a wife. So, it's not so serious for me.
  • EmCarroll1990
    EmCarroll1990 Posts: 2,849 Member
    Options
    I met my fiancé on online dating. He was the first and only person I met there.
  • DanZiehm
    DanZiehm Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Here is a quick, funny story... A few years ago, I was on Match.com. I read the profile of a very pretty woman so I sent her a "wink" and a quick message. I never heard back from that woman. Fast forward a couple years and I had met and started dating a wonderful woman that I met through work. One night, she was cleaning out her email folders (she saves EVERY email) and she came across a "wink" and a message from a guy on Match. It was the "wink" and message I sent her a couple years earlier. We just got married this past October (check out my profile picture). Even though we didn't meet through the online dating site, it all worked out in the end and I couldn't be happier!!!
  • Mehagon
    Options
    It can go either way. . . .I met my husband on a free dating site: okcupid.com . . . he is perfect for me! I'm sure it's not for everybody, but for someone who didn't have a way of meeting new men, it worked for me. :)
  • SafireBleu
    SafireBleu Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    I met my DH o eHarmony years ago. It's was great. I like the system they have set up. They only match you with compatible people so it might take longer to get matched but it kind of weeds out the one you will never be compatible with. Then from the group you get matched with you get to select the ones you want to communicate with. You never have to give you email or anything if you don't want so you can just end communication if they get weird in the beginnings of the process.
  • jellybeanhed313
    jellybeanhed313 Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    I met my current boyfriend online and we are a great match. I met a few other guys before that, and they were good guys, but things just didn't work out with them. It has been almost a year together now and we are very happy. I think any way you can meet people is good, but to be successful at dating, you have to be honest with yourself and the people you meet about yourself and your intentions/wants. Knowing what you actually want is the first step to finding it! ;)