Online Dating?

Options

Replies

• aprilgicker
    aprilgicker Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    Oh I forgot. I had this one guy who was stalking me on line. He called himself "World tTaveler" ugh. He looked like a homeless guy. dirty nasty in need of a bath. I guess he was was using the library computers. I reported him. He even removed his pic to try to get me and i am sure some other to go out with him. It was always lets meet at the park, I love sunset walks.
    Ya, I bet!
  • scapez
    scapez Posts: 2,018 Member
    Options
    i thought that was why we were all HERE..............

It might not be what brings us to MFP, but wonderful things can and do happen here. :heart:
  • bellevie23
    bellevie23 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    I did, we got married, 3 kids and years later, we are getting a divorce. I think it is simply just another way to meet people, it doesn't matter how you meet it is how you maintain it afterwards to me. You win some you lose some. The only fallback with online is people have time to think about their response, whereas in reality a person has to respond quickly and is more natural in their responses to me AND you can tell the tones underneath it, however someone mentioned it earlier, I am 27, seems most the guys my age or that are 'out and about' aren't the type I would stay with, I quit making beer pong my saturday ritual years ago, which is more than I can say for most the guys I meet my age LOL *sigh* gonna be a hot minute with me and the kids I believe :P
  • ginaaz1988
    ginaaz1988 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I met my husband through online dateing over 6 years ago, and we will be celerabrating our 5th wedding anniversary on saturday!!
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    Pros - you have a "menu" of people in front of you to choose from your living room.

Cons - hmmm where to begin.

* For every one actual single available women on a dating site there are typically going to be 50 guys of varying availabilities after her. This typically means you have to have something about you that *really* stands out since if you send a message to any female, you can bet she's gotten 49 other inboxes from 49 other guys saying 49 other things.

* Many people on those sites are not really single. They are testing the waters or after a fling. Many times those people are not open about their status and you end up becoming a 3rd person.

* A lot of people on those sites are also not interested in anything serious and so again it takes a lot of effort to find anyone wanting something real

* For women, having to sift through 100 naked torso pictures and genitalia pictures can be daunting and overwhelming.

Negativity will get you no where but alone.

Everything you posted is pretty much true anywhere whether it's the bar scene or just meeting someone in a grocery store. It's the same thing. You don't have any idea who that person is. It's a process.

Online dating just increases your chances of meeting people outside your normal circle of life. It's not a replacement for that, IMO, but just helps enhance it. By far, most my dating is from meeting people in person. But, online just adds another dimension. If I had to rely on online dating 100%, I don't think that would work to well for me because despite all the success stories about it, I still think its a little weird.
  • MsPetuniaPig
    MsPetuniaPig Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    My last 3 year relationship just ended and I'm back out there again. I've had some luck and some craziness. I just remember to meet in public places first and the biggest issue for me... I need to remember if it's not right, MOVE ON. Be careful and have fun!
  • auticus
    auticus Posts: 1,051 Member
    Options
    Really alone?

Awwww.

I'll have to tell that to my gf :( she will be sad.
  • jesilva80
    jesilva80 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    I met my husband on match.com, I was in a major slump, after a bad breakup, with an ex boyfriend. My mom gave me a six month subscription to the site. I met a few guys before him, they were ok, but not really for me. We talked on the the phone a few weeks, then met in person, I knew right away, I'd marry him someday. We've been together 5 years now, and have a 1 yr. old daughter... It works, at least for me, just try to be honest, and don't jump at just anyone.
  • lik_11
    lik_11 Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    I think it's very much like "real" life. You often wade through a bunch of weirdos before you meet the right one. :)

Yes!

I met my husband online 6 years ago on yahoo personals. Although I was the first girl he met online, I dated a couple of other guys. Met some weirdos, met some nice guys... In the end- it worked for me!
  • kerriBB37
    kerriBB37 Posts: 967 Member
    Options
    My fiance and I met on Match.com a couple years ago. Personally, I had a great experience with it but I also was only on for one day before he messaged me. We got to messaging back and forth and then texting.. we met up in person 5 days later at the airport (I had already planned a trip to visit a friend and he insisted on meeting me before.. said he couldn't wait another week without seeing me!) .. I ended up having a flight delay and we were able to chat for 5 hours at the airport bar.. we had a passionate first kiss just outside security lol.. We have been inseperable ever since. I think it's important that we were both 100% honest in our profiles.. I stated I had just gotten divorced.. I used REAL pictures of me.. I told all my dorky traits (which actually appealed to him!).. he was honest about the stuff he hated about his past relationships and about the true things that mattered (none of which were really superficial).. I think that honesty on those sites is rare but important.. You will never know unless you try though! The funny thing about our experience is that neither of us 'wanted' to do the online dating scene.. our friends insisted, made our profiles initially and then hounded us until we kept up with it.. I'm just proof that there are normal, smart, awesome girls on the site and I've found my normal, awesome, sexy soon-to-be husband on an online site! =)
  • bellevie23
    bellevie23 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    LOL quite
    Really alone?

Awwww.

I'll have to tell that to my gf :( she will be sad.
  • allishax9918
    Options
    I met my fiance online ..on myspace in 2006. We've been together for over 5 years:-) I think it's a whole other challenge and we lucked out. I was friends with his cousin and he wasn't far away. I do think it CAN be dangerous. But it helps you to fall in love with a person's personality rather than looks. Forces you to get to know eachother and commuicate differently.
  • JMFresh
    JMFresh Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I used match.com March 2011... there are some creepy's out there. But I was lucky enough to meet a wonderful man - we started dating in April... still going strong. He melts me.

My advice is to keep an open mind, give people a chance, trust your instincts, and be safe/smart!

GOOD LUCK! :smile:
  • poustotah
    poustotah Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    I met my husband on eHarmony. We've been together for 7 years now.
  • nakabi
    nakabi Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    I didn't meet my husband on a dating site, but in a chat room. We met 4 months after we "met" online and started dating. We have been together for almost 8 years and been married almost 5 of those years and have 2 kids.
  • 3rdxacharm
    3rdxacharm Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    I met my BF on line at Match.com 6 plus years ago. It was the second date either of us had been on through match.com. We lived 2.4 miles apart, we graduated from the same college, same year. And I had taken a picture of him at a World Series Game. Small world and I'm guessing it was meant to be. Be cautious and enjoy:D
  • crysy1
    crysy1 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Met my hubby on hot or not.com of all places. I was on several dating sites and went on alot of really weird dates. but ran across my hubby on hot or not .com. We have been togeather more than 6 years and married 5 and have 2 kids. it all just depends. you have to take everything with a grain of salt and make sure to meet them some where public. be safe about it. it chatted with my now hubby for way more than a month before we even met. figured if he was willing to put in that time than he was really interested!
  • geecee77
    geecee77 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Met the love of my life online, 4 years later we are still happy and still loved up :)
  • OSC_ESD
    OSC_ESD Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    ~ I think life brings opportunities when you least expect it ... whether you meet someone in a coffee shop, library, church, at work, at a party or even online ... the connection is real regardless of the happenings of where it started. It mainly depends on where it goes ... I personally say give every opportunity a chance ... you never know when that " special " person will make their grand appearance and change your world !

I know this ... because I live it. I met the one person who stole my heart not only online ... but right here on this site. Life is good ... as good as you allow it to be !

:wink:
  • scapez
    scapez Posts: 2,018 Member
    Options
    Here is a quick, funny story... A few years ago, I was on Match.com. I read the profile of a very pretty woman so I sent her a "wink" and a quick message. I never heard back from that woman. Fast forward a couple years and I had met and started dating a wonderful woman that I met through work. One night, she was cleaning out her email folders (she saves EVERY email) and she came across a "wink" and a message from a guy on Match. It was the "wink" and message I sent her a couple years earlier. We just got married this past October (check out my profile picture). Even though we didn't meet through the online dating site, it all worked out in the end and I couldn't be happier!!!

I :heart: this! Congrats!