Type 1 diabetics on a diet - I'm looking for you!

Options
Hello all! I'm thirty-somethingish and on a VLCD. I am a type 1 diabetic, but only having to take a basal shot once daily since my diet is protein-based. My weight-loss clinic doesn't have many type 1 patients, and they are sometimes perplexed with the things my body does with weight loss and water retention. I would love to meet others who struggle with the same things I do. Too-skinny diabetics need not apply. I'm looking for ones that are trying to lose weight, not gain. Please add me if this sounds a lot like your situation:

Ten years ago I weighed over 260. I lost 60 pounds starving myself for a year only to find out that I had diabetes. After having two children and finding the right doctor, I have been officially labeled as a type 1 diabetic - I don't produce insulin on a regular basis. Over the years I gained about 15 pounds back, but recently have lost almost all of it again. I'm sitting around 200 and my goal is to get down to 160. Looking for others that struggle with the same issues I do.

Thanks!

Replies

• tarakay84
    Options
    Hey! I added you..

But i would love to hear more bout ur diet.. I was about to start lc. But when I went to my
    Dietician to get my insulin pump she freaked out on me..

Could you give me more info on what ur doin?

I've recently lost 22 lbs since Jan 1st... It's def not easy. I fluctuate so much bc I retain watee so easily.

Anyways I look forward to us helping each other!
  • type1foodie
    Options
    I'm interested in learning about your diet too. Do you have the energy to work out? Does the protein put extra stress on a diabetic's already-stressed kidneys? I read an article the other day that said no more than 30% of your diet should come from protein. Here's the link: http://www.medicinenet.com/script/main/art.asp?articlekey=50900. Interested but not sure what to do! :-) I do reduce carbs already, but a lot of the higher protein snack ideas the trainer gives are high in fat (cheese, nuts, beef sticks).
  • buffettgirl1
    Options
    a small aside: This came across my news feed today and I tucked it aside for later (I have a type1 child) and when I saw your posts I thought maybe you'd all be interested. :)

http://care.diabetesjournals.org/content/early/2012/02/22/dc11-1844.short?rss=1
    Effects of Performing Resistance Exercise Before Versus After Aerobic Exercise on Glycemia in Type 1 Diabetes
  • Marla64
    Marla64 Posts: 23,120 Member
    Options
    a small aside: This came across my news feed today and I tucked it aside for later (I have a type1 child) and when I saw your posts I thought maybe you'd all be interested. :)

http://care.diabetesjournals.org/content/early/2012/02/22/dc11-1844.short?rss=1
    Effects of Performing Resistance Exercise Before Versus After Aerobic Exercise on Glycemia in Type 1 Diabetes

I have a type 1 child, also-- thank you for the link.
  • mjpingel
    mjpingel Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    You said you are VLCD. Are you doing hCG? If so, do they have you on some of the newer protocols that are 800 calories instead of 500? I'm not a T1 diabetic, but my 5yo daughter is. I'm in maintenance of my 3rd round of hCG. If you aren't doing hCG I would recommend setting your goals for 1250-ish calories/day with 30%carbs, 30%fat, and 40%protein. That was our endo's recommendation when we were fine tuning her basal rate for the insulin pump. Also, make sure you are drinking a half oz of water for every lb you weigh and eat at least half of your calories you regain from exercise. Carbs before exercise and protein after. Ummmm... I think that's all I can remember right now. Oh yeah... make sure you are eating on a schedule when possible (around the same times everyday) and making your meals smaller and more often (4-6 instead of 3) throughout the day.
    You might already know and have been doing these things. Just what I have seen/heard for other T1s.
    GOOD LUCK!!
  • casval75
    Options
    I also have a type 1 child. She's in the category of the too skinny diabetics, but if she's anything like her mom, she won't be by the time she's 25. ;-)
    My only advice to you is eat what you need to eat and do not put any more strain on your kidneys than they already have. Exercise, as I'm sure you've been told, is the key. My new favorite best friend is Just Dance for the Wii. It's a great bonding experience for you and the kids and it's a heck of a workout!
    Best of luck to you. I hope you find that perfect balance.
  • tarakay84
    Options
    I'm interested in learning about your diet too. Do you have the energy to work out? Does the protein put extra stress on a diabetic's already-stressed kidneys? I read an article the other day that said no more than 30% of your diet should come from protein. Here's the link: http://www.medicinenet.com/script/main/art.asp?articlekey=50900. Interested but not sure what to do! :-) I do reduce carbs already, but a lot of the higher protein snack ideas the trainer gives are high in fat (cheese, nuts, beef sticks).

same here interested, but kind of scared to do it after they freaked out on me about it!
  • buffettgirl1
    Options
    the only thing I would worry about if you're doing extremely low carb is that you'll be burning ketones which will make it hard to know if they're "lack of insulin" ketones, or if they're just 'starvation' ketones from doing low carb - and I say that not in that you're starving, but your cells are which is ok if you are trying to burn fat through low carb but not ok if your cells are starving from lack of insulin.
  • Chairless
    Chairless Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    bump for later reading
  • AmeChops
    AmeChops Posts: 744 Member
    Options
    the only thing I would worry about if you're doing extremely low carb is that you'll be burning ketones which will make it hard to know if they're "lack of insulin" ketones, or if they're just 'starvation' ketones from doing low carb - and I say that not in that you're starving, but your cells are which is ok if you are trying to burn fat through low carb but not ok if your cells are starving from lack of insulin.

and what are 'starvation' ketones as opposed to 'lack of insulin' ones??
  • mem1086
    mem1086 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Hey All! I am going to join this news feed, not because I have Type 1 Diabetes, but because my mom has it, and has lived with it for 47yrs (since age 8 - 1965). She is in good overall health and would also like to shed some pounds. She did the shot for 32yrs and has had a pump for 15yrs. I would love to hear any tips, trials, or suggestions you have for weight loss with this disease so I can share with her. I am trying to get her to join MFP as well.
  • sunnyday789
    sunnyday789 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    I would advise you to find a doctor and a dietitian who are familiar with the VLCD and Type 1 diabetes. As someone else stated, generally protein is somewhat restricted if there is any kidney problems. You say the clinic staff are often perplexed; there is too much at stake here for you not to get the proper guidance.
  • Bonnieelizabeth
    Bonnieelizabeth Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Welcome to the site. I am not a type 1 but type 2 and it really seems like I retain a lot of water as well as having a hard time shedding some weight! I am only taking a half pill a day and would love to get rid of it. Exercise is a challenge but I try to walk. I have figured it out that I need to walk a half hour a day 6 days a week to get to loose any weight. Anyhow I am wanting to get to the point where I don't need any metformin .
  • buffettgirl1
    Options

Well, you're talking about Ketosis vs ketoacidosis. If you're in ketosis but have the insulin to handle it, your body is fine, burns fat, you lose weight. If you're in ketosis and don't have that insulin you get into ketoacidosis, and you can die. Two very different things, but for a person with type1 it would be harder to distinguish and could potentially be easy to get into a whole lot of trouble quickly if you weren't aware of the difference and/or the mechanics behind.

Also, many people stop taking their insulin to force their bodies into a permanent state of ketosis because they loose weight, quickly. It's called diabulimia. It's extremely serious. It's one of the very real reasons why most doctors would advice people with type 1 diabetes to stay away from any very low carb diets.

Back in the days before insulin was available outside the body people (children mostly) were treated with "lettuce" diets. Extremely low carb diets which prolonged their lives for a few weeks, or months, but in the end they all died looking like emaciated, starving skeletons.
  • AmeChops
    AmeChops Posts: 744 Member
    Options
    Thank you for explaining :-))
  • tarakay84
    tarakay84 Posts: 69
    Options

Well, you're talking about Ketosis vs ketoacidosis. If you're in ketosis but have the insulin to handle it, your body is fine, burns fat, you lose weight. If you're in ketosis and don't have that insulin you get into ketoacidosis, and you can die. Two very different things, but for a person with type1 it would be harder to distinguish and could potentially be easy to get into a whole lot of trouble quickly if you weren't aware of the difference and/or the mechanics behind.

Also, many people stop taking their insulin to force their bodies into a permanent state of ketosis because they loose weight, quickly. It's called diabulimia. It's extremely serious. It's one of the very real reasons why most doctors would advice people with type 1 diabetes to stay away from any very low carb diets.

Back in the days before insulin was available outside the body people (children mostly) were treated with "lettuce" diets. Extremely low carb diets which prolonged their lives for a few weeks, or months, but in the end they all died looking like emaciated, starving skeletons.

This is y my dietician freaked out on me... The strips used to test ketosis are same strips diabetics are suppose to use... I was doin low carb but then she freaked me out...