What can I do with these bananas?

Options
Alexstrasza
Alexstrasza Posts: 619 Member
I bought some bananas yesterday and the damn things are already getting brown spots!

What are some low-carb/low-sodium things I can make with bananas?

Replies

• RachelsReboot
    RachelsReboot Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    When mine do that I just cut them and freeze them to add to my protein shakes later. They add a creamy coldness to it and since I usually add them to chocolate the discoloration doesn't matter. They still taste just as good!
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    I bought some bananas yesterday and the damn things are already getting brown spots!

The only way to eat a low-carb banana is to not eat the banana.
  • landorki
    landorki Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    When mine do that I just cut them and freeze them to add to my protein shakes later. They add a creamy coldness to it and since I usually add them to chocolate the discoloration doesn't matter. They still taste just as good!

YES! I add mine to soy chocolate milk and peanut butter after a good workout! Frozen bananas are great in smoothies!
  • JenSmith1104
    Options
    Freeze and then blend for a good sub for ice cream.
  • minimaggie
    minimaggie Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Freeze them!!!
  • Sharonsimon
    Sharonsimon Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Make banana bread kids love it and bout 130 calories per slice will send re pie later
  • snuffybitts
    snuffybitts Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Low Fat Banana Muffins

Fill your kitchen with the aroma of these sweet banana muffins. Enjoy them plain or add in some raisins or a sparing amount of mini chocolate chips for an indulgent treat.

Prep Time: 15 minutes

Cook Time: 22 minutes

Total Time: 37 minutes

Ingredients:
    •2 cups all-purpose flour
    •3/4 cup sugar
    •2 tsp baking powder
    •1/2 tsp baking soda
    •Pinch of salt
    •1/2 tsp cinnamon
    •1/8 tsp nutmeg
    •1/4 cup canola oil
    •2/3 cup nonfat milk
    •1 egg lightly beaten
    •1 tsp vanilla
    •2 small ripe bananas, mashed

Preparation:

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Coat a nonstick 12-cup muffin pan with cooking spray or line with paper cups.
    In a large bowl, stir flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg together. Make a well in the center.

In a medium bowl, combine canola oil milk, egg, vanilla. Add wet ingredient to dry mixture, followed by mashed bananas. Stir with a wooden spoon until just combined.

Fill muffins cups two-thirds full. Bake for 18-22 minutes.

Optional extras to fold into the batter: 1/2 cup raisins, 1/3 cup miniature chocolate chips.

Per Banana Muffin: Calories 190, Calories from Fat 47, Total Fat 5.1g (sat 0.4g), Cholesterol 18mg, Sodium 170mg, Carbohydrate 32.4g, Fiber 1g, Protein 3.3g

With Raisins: Calories 212, Calories from Fat 47, Total Fat 5.1g (sat 0.4g), Cholesterol 18mg, Sodium 171mg, Carbohydrate 37.8g, Fiber 1.3g, Protein 3.5g

With Mini Chocolate Chips: Calories 223, Calories from Fat 63, Total Fat 6.8g (sat 2.2g), Cholesterol 19mg, Sodium 170mg, Carbohydrate 36.4g, Fiber 1.4g, Protein 3.5g

These are really good and low calorie as well....Yummy!!
  • Kandygirl
    Kandygirl Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    banana pancakes. yummy!
  • sweetNsassy2584
    sweetNsassy2584 Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    Freeze them!
  • Treed79
    Treed79 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Banana Bread

Ingredients

2 cups whole wheat flour
    1 teaspoon baking soda
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    1/2 cup sugar free applesauce
    3/4 cup honey
    2 eggs, beaten
    3 mashed overripe bananas
    Directions

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Lightly grease a 9x5 inch loaf pan.
    In a large bowl, combine flour, baking soda and salt. In a separate bowl, mix together applesauce and honey. Stir in eggs and mashed bananas until well blended. Stir banana mixture into flour mixture; stir just to moisten. Pour batter into prepared loaf pan.
    Bake in preheated oven for 60 to 65 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into center of the loaf comes out clean. Let bread cool in pan for 10 minutes, then turn out onto a wire rack.
  • _CiaoParis
    _CiaoParis Posts: 166
    Options
    I freeze them & put them in my protein shakes.
  • MoreThanMommie
    MoreThanMommie Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    Freeze and then blend for a good sub for ice cream.
    This!
  • BIGJIMMYU
    BIGJIMMYU Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options
    cut them in sections, cover in low fat yogurt, roll in cheerios and put a stick in them. Put them on a wax paper tray and pop them in the freezer. These are great treats!
  • kimw91
    kimw91 Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    Make a banana omelet! Whizz together 1 banana, 2 eggs and cinnamon, pour into a pan and fry as you would a pancake. Make sure the top is set before flipping and flip gently as they're quite light and break easily. Top with whatever you like (berries/yoghurt/honey), eat plain or with some raisin bread or so - whatever you fancy :)
  • LaurenMichelle004
    LaurenMichelle004 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Cut in half lengthwise, add a little honey & cinnamon and stick in the oven. Soooo delicious!
  • firesoforion
    firesoforion Posts: 1,017 Member
    Options
    Well for a lower carb recipe of banana pudding (at least, my family's version...which involves layering bananas, low fat nilla wafers and pineapple, and baking it with a milk and egg mixture topped with merengue), put the bananas with pineapple (banana and pineapple is a match made in HEAVEN) on vanilla yogurt. You might even heat the bananas and pineapple together first. And maybe even sprinkle a couple of nilla wafers or graham crackers on top. YUM.
  • Oo_BrookeNicole_oO
    Options
    I make banana ice cream. You just freeze the banana, add a splash of milk and then blend it together in a food processer!
    It doesn't look as appetizing as it tastes. :P
    IMG_0474.jpg

I also just eat them frozen. They taste much better that way to me personally!
  • DorothyR87
    DorothyR87 Posts: 113
    Options
    I personally HATE bananas but I bought a dehydrator some time ago and it is great to make banana chips. I actually don't add anything to them at all, but my husband says they taste good and my dogs love them too lol. I believe you can use your oven to dehydrate as well but it takes longer.
  • rockerbabyy
    rockerbabyy Posts: 2,258 Member
    Options

The only way to eat a low-carb banana is to not eat the banana.
    ^this.
    and freezing to put in smoothies. i actually buy an extra bunch each time we buy them just for smoothies. sometimes im lazy and freeze em with the peel on.. sometimes i peel and chop em