natural vs. processed sugar

Options
What's the skinny on natural vs. processes sugar? I have only had like 300 calories today and I'm already over on my sugar for the day because I had a fruit salad for breakfast! Some people say natural sugar is ok, not to worry and others say that it's the same as regular processed white sugar b/c it does the same thing in the body. So what's the real deal? I love fruit, I don't want to stop eating fruit... I still have huge naval oranges and big red apples calling my name today.... :/

Replies

• treetop57
    treetop57 Posts: 1,578 Member
    Options
    Unless you're diabetic or have some other metabolic disorder, I wouldn't worry about it. And if you are diabetic or have some other diabetic disorder, I wouldn't recommend taking diet advice from random strangers, even such wonderful random strangers as the people here at myfitnesspal.
  • kailysimpson
    Options
    nope, not diabetic. just curious.
  • kailysimpson
    Options

thanks.... though the molecular structure charts are no help whatsoever, I am currently taking chemistry in college and it's been a rough semester so far. I have no idea what any of that means. But what your point was is basically, the amount of sugar doesn't matter as long as your calories are in deficit... ? So why, then, are we constantly being bombarded with diet and nutrition info that says to limit sugar intake?
  • JulaMonster
    JulaMonster Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    The limiting sugar intake thing I think is more aimed towards processed foods with added sugar, as it just adds calories without nutrients, so you might be missing out on good vitamins and minerals (compared to if you ate that amount of sugar and calories contained in fruits). That thread is a good one, and the best point (besides the explanations) I saw was that Sugar = Carbs, so why track it twice, and also if you have a calorie deficit, sugar makes no difference in your weight loss (unless you are diabetic, etc). Frankly, I'd delete the sugar column from your diary and focus on the more important columns, like calories, fat, fiber, and if you want, sodium and maybe carbs. In short, eat fruit and enjoy it and don't sweat the small stuff ;)
  • exlaxref
    exlaxref Posts: 29 Member
    Options
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options

thanks.... though the molecular structure charts are no help whatsoever, I am currently taking chemistry in college and it's been a rough semester so far. I have no idea what any of that means. But what your point was is basically, the amount of sugar doesn't matter as long as your calories are in deficit... ? So why, then, are we constantly being bombarded with diet and nutrition info that says to limit sugar intake?

The point of the diagrams is that sucrose is just fructose and glucose joined together.

The advice to limit sugar intake is just like the advice to "limit fat intake," or "eat clean foods." It's meant as basic rules of thumb to get the general public to eat a little healthier. Keep in mind, the general public isn't counting calories or micro nutrients, they're just pretty much eating when hungry, and eating whatever is put in front of them. The general advice is meant to get those folks to make better food choices.

You can rack up a lot of calories in sugar without getting full, and without getting many nutrients (unless its fruit), which will lead most people to overeat. So, if you're not counting calories, you have to be careful.

But for the folks like the ones on MFP that are counting calories, there's really no reason to focus on sugar specifically. As long as your diet has a reasonable amount of balance, and your calorie goals are in check, then going over MFP's sugar limit is not going to hurt you. Put another way, you are automatically limiting your sugar my limiting your calories and making sure you're eating a reasonable amount of everything else.

I would treat the MFP carb, sugar, and fat limits as general guidelines to make sure your diet is balanced rather than something that's going to hurt you if you go "over." (The red numbers confuse people, IMO).

You're also being bombarded with such information because many people giving diet advice have no idea what they're talking about.
  • JulaMonster
    JulaMonster Posts: 51 Member
    Options

You're also being bombarded with such information because many people giving diet advice have no idea what they're talking about.

You mean that we're not all experts? Darn... :wink:
  • dlaplume2
    dlaplume2 Posts: 1,658 Member
    Options

The point of the diagrams is that sucrose is just fructose and glucose joined together.

The advice to limit sugar intake is just like the advice to "limit fat intake," or "eat clean foods." It's meant as basic rules of thumb to get the general public to eat a little healthier. Keep in mind, the general public isn't counting calories or micro nutrients, they're just pretty much eating when hungry, and eating whatever is put in front of them. The general advice is meant to get those folks to make better food choices.

You can rack up a lot of calories in sugar without getting full, and without getting many nutrients (unless its fruit), which will lead most people to overeat. So, if you're not counting calories, you have to be careful.

But for the folks like the ones on MFP that are counting calories, there's really no reason to focus on sugar specifically. As long as your diet has a reasonable amount of balance, and your calorie goals are in check, then going over MFP's sugar limit is not going to hurt you. Put another way, you are automatically limiting your sugar my limiting your calories and making sure you're eating a reasonable amount of everything else.

I would treat the MFP carb, sugar, and fat limits as general guidelines to make sure your diet is balanced rather than something that's going to hurt you if you go "over." (The red numbers confuse people, IMO).

Thanks for the input. The other thing to add is that table sugar and a lot of the refined carbs out in the world, don't have much nutrional value. A peice of fruit is going to have fiber, vitamin a, potassium etc. A tablespoon of table sugar has none of that. Most soft drinks, white carbs, etc have none either. While your body may break it down and store them both the same way, you are getting added benefits from the fruit.
  • issyfit
    issyfit Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    I do limit sugar and foods made with white flour because when I eat them I get cravings for sweets and starches. (This is due to a spike in blood sugar, followed by an insulin response followed by low blood sugar which can cause hunger and cravings), and when I don't eat them my cravings go away. Controlling my cravings and hunger helps me stay under my calorie limit. You can slow down the digestion of sugar if you eat protein or high fiber foods with it and then the blood sugar spike may be avoided--like adding peanut butter to your apple.
  • MelissaGraham7
    MelissaGraham7 Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    The old sugar is sugar or fat is fat thing....true enough. Calories are calories. But there are "good fats" and "good sugars" so overall, it is better to cut out the bad fats and bad sugars (processed) and make healthy choices, watch your calories and get plenty of exercise! There ya go.
  • bluebird321
    bluebird321 Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    It depends on what you are comfortable with. I keep my intake of sugar low no matter the source, but only because it works for me. There is a strong psychological aspect to food monitoring (obviously), so basically, pick the practice that you can stick with consistently. Everyone is different.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options

Thanks for the input. The other thing to add is that table sugar and a lot of the refined carbs out in the world, don't have much nutrional value. A peice of fruit is going to have fiber, vitamin a, potassium etc. A tablespoon of table sugar has none of that. Most soft drinks, white carbs, etc have none either. While your body may break it down and store them both the same way, you are getting added benefits from the fruit.

The anti-white carb stance makes potatoes, parsnips, and cauliflower very sad.