EAT MORE VEGETABLES

Options
:flowerforyou: I try to incorporate a vegetable into my lunch each day to make sure I get my daily dose of veggies. I *try* to eat something green, but I'm running out of options and getting sick of the same old: green beans with a little olive oil/pepper, asparagus grilled with italian seasoning, steamed broccoli with seasonings, or green peas. Occassionally, I'll make stir fry with lots of veggies or fajitas with extra greeen/red peppers.

Please add any yummy green vegetable ideas or ANY new/interesting twists on vegetables you may have! Even recipes of incorporating veggies into main dishes are welcome!

Replies

• IveLanded
    IveLanded Posts: 797 Member
    Options
    I put finely chopped kale or spinach into MOST everything I eat. I put it in my scrambled egg whites in the morning and I don't even taste it.

With it being winter, I have been eating a lot of zucchini (as well as other squashes). I usually grill them or bake them.

Baked cauliflower or romanesco is also really yummy. I've done those and a lot of other veggies tossed in olive oil and garlic and then baked with a little parm on top.
  • sciencenerd2011
    Options
    I love eating just fresh cucumbers. I recently have fallen in love with roasted broccoli as an easy side dish. My husband thinks I like them because they remind him of french fries. I also love baked kale chips.
  • Laces_0ut
    Laces_0ut Posts: 3,750 Member
    Options
    how many grams of vegetables should i eat every day?
  • savlyon
    savlyon Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    spinach?? Spinach is like a daily necessity for me...
  • rrrbecca11
    Options
    Oh gosh. Where to begin? Roasted brussels sprouts. Steamed broccoli with lemon. Steamed asparagus with horseradish sauce. Any greens (kale, collards, turnip) sauteed with red wine vinegar, or creamed. Raw spinach.
  • rebeccap13
    rebeccap13 Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    Try squash or zuchini as someone else mentioned. Also if you do any sort of shakes, protein or not, add spinach or kale to them. Usually the taste of the other ingredients covers up the taste of any greens. My favorite way to eat tomatoes is diced, tossed in a little olive oil, salt and pepper and topped with basil or even just italian seasoning.
  • Nerdy_Rose
    Nerdy_Rose Posts: 1,277 Member
    Options
    Raw peppers/carrots/snap peas dipped in hummus.

Qunioa burgers with shredded zucchini and carrots cooked in: http://eatingwelllivingthin.wordpress.com/2010/11/01/love-my-quinoa-burger/

Add a bag of frozen mixed veggies (carrots, peas, corn) to any pasta dish.

Portobello burgers( I did 'em with no bun): http://allrecipes.com/recipe/portobello-mushroom-burgers/

Edit: Oh, and cauliflower crust pizza!
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/334427-gluten-free-low-carb-pizza
  • MalDunc2012
    MalDunc2012 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    I'm making this tonight: http://www.skinnytaste.com/2012/02/cajun-chicken-pasta-on-lighter-side.html. Replace the noodles with spaghetti squash and you've got veggies galore! I also bought an eggplant to grill up that I've been munching on, which offers nice relief to the broccoli/greenbeans/asparagus monotany!
  • anubis609
    anubis609 Posts: 3,966 Member
    Options
    how many grams of vegetables should i eat every day?

"Should" sounds so forced. Therefore, to answer your question, you should not.

However, if you want to, whatever fits into your macros.
  • sciencenerd2011
    Options
    There is approximately 100-150 grams in a serving of vegetables. Ideally, you'd want to eat 3-5 servings of vegetables.
  • heddylyn
    heddylyn Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    http://simplyrecipes.com/recipes/cucumber_salad/

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Green-Beans-with-Crushed-Almonds-102273

The first one is very low in fat and calories. The second one has butter and nuts in it so a little more fattening but SO good...
  • donnamorad
    donnamorad Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    KALE....so good! I sautee with olive oil, oinions and garlic or just eat in a salad!!!!!
  • Sweet_Potato
    Sweet_Potato Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    You didn't mention soups-- those are a great way to get a lot of vegetables into your lunch. Today, for example, I'm having a black bean tortilla soup that involves tomatoes, corn, onions, garlic, avocado, cilantro, jalapeno, green bell pepper, and lime (not to mention a vegetable stock base that was made from carrots celery, onions, etc).

Fritatas and omelettes are also great vehicles for veggies. This time of year I also like to do baked casserole/gratin-type things.

Look up Mark Bittman if you need more ideas. His mission is to get people to make more simple vegetable-based meals.
  • acs4162
    acs4162 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Great ideas! I too like to sneak spinach into everything!
  • Cathyvil
    Cathyvil Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    For a lunch side dish I usually do a mix of 1/2 of an english cucumber, 12-15 cherry tomatoes halved, 4 pepperoncini peppers sliced, and an ounce of part skim mozzarella. Then I sprinkle it all with a bit of Mrs. Dash and a tablespoon of balsamic vinegar. It's really filling for only 145 calories and I find it super tasty. I usually pair it with a piece of quiche.
  • missmuertos
    missmuertos Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    A simple ratatouille makes a nice veggie side dish or even a main meal when served with rice.

It's very quick and easy, just pop a bit of olive oil in a pan and then throw in a diced red onion, couple of cloves of finely chopped garlic and cook until the onion is soft. Then put in some chopped courgette, aubergine and peppers, cook for several minutes, stirring frequently until the veggies are a bit soft. Lastly pour in some chopped tomatoes and seasoning - touch of salt, black pepper, marjoram (if you have it), basil or thyme and a bay leaf, stir well and leave to simmer until all the ingredients have come together into a lovely tomatoey vegetable yum. It's a favourite in our house and my OH doesn't even like courgette.. or aubergine!

:)
  • KaraGrr
    KaraGrr Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Qunioa burgers with shredded zucchini and carrots cooked in: http://eatingwelllivingthin.wordpress.com/2010/11/01/love-my-quinoa-burger/

YUM! Definitely making these -- thanks so much for the recipe!
  • issyfit
    issyfit Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    South Beach Living guidelines are 1/2 c. at breakfast, 2 C. lunch and dinner.
    I add a lot of veggies to my scrambled eggs--spinach, mushrooms, green onions, broccoli, green peppers.
    Also I eat a lot of stir-fries--throw in whatever I can find and season it either Italian or Asian.
  • abcmiah
    abcmiah Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I like steamed cabbage, stir-frys with baby bok choy, oven roasted brussel sprouts and grilled fish over mixed baby greens (lettuces).
  • HOWDY11
    Options
    Try roasting brussel sprouts, parsnips, and baby carrots garlic salt and pepper in loive oil! Or saute cabbage, onion, garlic, and mushrooms in olive oil. You can add ground beef or sausage to it to make a meal! I have a catering business so I have a love affair with food. 36 more to go!!! Feel free to friend me... I'm a good cheerleader!