bicycle brands

Options
I had my bicycle stolen last year, and was considering purchasing a new one. I would use it to get to and from work on a bike path, about 15 miles round trip. Does anyone have good brand suggestions at about the $200-350 range?

also, I'm a bigger build guy so I would need a sturdy ride...

Replies

• Flyntiggr
    Flyntiggr Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    Bike brands are a lot like shoe brands. Everyone has a preference, but what fits me may not fit you. I'm a TREK rider exclusively.
  • JamesThiel
    JamesThiel Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Trek is the way to go......
  • UpEarly
    UpEarly Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    I love my Trek hybrid!
  • oh_mg
    oh_mg Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Bike brands are a lot like shoe brands. Everyone has a preference, but what fits me may not fit you.

Totally agree. That said, I love Raleighs. My Raleigh Venture was stolen and I went out and ordered the exact same one again. I'm a bigger rider, and it's a good strong bike. Got it at my local shop for $300, plus a little extra for thicker/self-sealing tires (lots of thorns on local bike paths)
  • Cathyvil
    Cathyvil Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    I'm a Specialized fan myself but as already mentioned you need to see which fits you best. Go to a few shops and try them out. They should let you test ride them around the block :)
  • frogman4591
    Options
    I have a Trek 7200 that I like.
  • bwallner1971
    bwallner1971 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I bought my Trek when I was 350 pounds. LOVE IT. Go to a reputable dealer because they will put you in the right bike.

I did up grade my seat (on my bike) to a gel seat. About a $40-$70 upgrade but my *kitten* has thanked me repeatedly.
  • batlou
    batlou Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    There are lots of good bikes out there. I would suggest looking on the used market for something solid in that price range. Many would-be cyclist spent the money with the best of intentions and rode their bike no further than the parking spot in the garage. Craigslist is full of them.

I picked up a KHS Urban X-treme for commuting and just banging around a couple of years ago for 150 bucks. Bike is solid as a rock, comfortable, 700c wheels.

Having said that I ride a Specialized S-Works for Triathlon and Trek 6000 for MTB'ing.
  • TDGee
    TDGee Posts: 2,209 Member
    Options
    Sorry to hear about your bike. That really bites. I am leaning towards Trek for my next bike. Like others have said, go to your local bike shop, they will get you onto the right bike for you. Here are a couple of links to web shop until then.
    http://www.roadbikereview.com/
    http://www.mtbr.com/
  • zombiesama
    zombiesama Posts: 755 Member
    Options
    I ride GT :)
  • tsimmsva
    Options
    Trek....love it. I told a friend that I didn't ride bike ...because it hurt my back. I'm tall 5'11". She told me I needed a GOOD bike that was fitted to me. Having a dept store bike is like driving around on a lawn mower....verses...Treks...it's like a Cadillac. She was so right.
    We ride all time...and NO back problems. Now we both have our Treks bikes.
  • Kupe
    Kupe Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    The best bike for you is the one that fits you, whatever make you decide to buy make sure that it is the correct size for you. There is nothing more uncomfortable than having a great bike but it doesn't fit you.

When going to the bike shop,make sure that they measure you correctly and then fit the right bike to you.

Most bike unless they are high end are made in Taiwan. They are all made to the factory spec's from the mother company. What you also need to consider is not necessarily what the name of the bike is but what components are being used on the bike. Eg;Trek bike -low end components vs GT bike - high end components. Sometimes you are paying for a name.

Hope this helps
  • Papa_Swearingen
    Papa_Swearingen Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    haha, I just LOL'd
  • zoom2
    zoom2 Posts: 934 Member
    Options
    Heh, born and raised in the land of Trek and I've pretty much blacklisted Trek as a company I would ever consider purchasing from after hearing of several cases where they refused to honor their warranties to riders who in no way voided them.

If you don't find a deal on a used bike my advice would be to find a shop to treat you right, THEN find the bike. The shop I am loyal to happens to sell Cannondale as their primary brand (with at least a half-dozen other, smaller brands), so 2 of my bikes are a Cannondale and one is a Redline. Cannondale has a very good reputation re: honoring their warranty. DH has also had good luck with Specialized replacing his frame when the carbon developed a stress crack near the junction of the seat tube and top tube.
  • thcri
    thcri Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    Trek seems to be the favorite here. In our family there is a total of 6 of them and not one of them has had any trouble. However that said I am more of a good dealer person rather than brand. I don't care what you have if the dealer don't support you then you have nothing.

There is a lot of used Hybrid bikes on Craigslist maybe you can find a good used one.
  • islandjumper
    islandjumper Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    I rode a Trek for 3 years and loved it, but like what's been said it all depends on your personal preference.
  • RichEiler
    RichEiler Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Giant TCR 2 2003 model... LOL they ROCK.... Craigslist is your friend
  • wbgolden
    wbgolden Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    Definitely check craigslist. I've seen lots of Trek, Specialized, etc on there for more than fair prices.

Take 'er for a test ride and make sure she brakes, shifts, etc smoothly, of course :)
  • junyr
    junyr Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    The best bike for you is the one that fits you, whatever make you decide to buy make sure that it is the correct size for you. There is nothing more uncomfortable than having a great bike but it doesn't fit you.

When going to the bike shop,make sure that they measure you correctly and then fit the right bike to you.

Most bike unless they are high end are made in Taiwan. They are all made to the factory spec's from the mother company. What you also need to consider is not necessarily what the name of the bike is but what components are being used on the bike. Eg;Trek bike -low end components vs GT bike - high end components. Sometimes you are paying for a name.

Hope this helps

When he says high end, we're talking 3000 dollar range to get a US made frame.

I like specialized, but really they're all in the same quality range at a given price range. Ferrari, Lamborghini... who cares...

Just remember that the cheapest bike shop bike is infinitely better than the most expensive "walmart" bike.
  • Josie_lifting_cats
    Josie_lifting_cats Posts: 949 Member
    Options
    I have a crazy love relationship with my Trek hybrid 7300. I've named her Bernadette.