Pasta.......

Options
2»

Replies

• chaitrex
    chaitrex Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Zucchini noodles! I've tried spaghetti squash, and even though zucchini noodles are more work, I like them better. They're absolutely delicious. I usually make half a serving of pasta, and then throw a lot of zucchini noodles in at the end. Size-wise, it would be about 500 or 600 calories of pasta..but it's just 150 or so of zucchini and pasta. They're really good with garlic and olive oil!
    http://www.asweetpeachef.com/pasta/how-to-make-zucchini-noodles/
    I personally don't love whole wheat pasta, but I've heard that brown rice pasta's quite good. The calorie count is similar to regular pasta though, and you can get the extra protein and fiber from whatever you top your pasta with.

Other than that, I love pasta, and usually just try and make a half/portion of it and load it broccoli, fresh tomatoes, asparagus, mushrooms, squash, tofu, chicken, etc. For sauce, I'll use low-fat tomato, a little olive oil with basil and lemon juice, or I'll use ground turkey or chicken to make a healthy bolognese. I feel like there's nothing wrong with eating pasta, as long as you watch your portion size.
  • graysmom2005
    graysmom2005 Posts: 1,882 Member
    Options
    If you go to Whole Foods or an Asian Market they have the shirataki noodles which have no calories or carbs. You can also buy the "Miracle Noodle" brand which is the exact same thing but very pricey. I had some with turkey breast bolognese sauce last night and it was delicious!
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Personally, I don't think 210 calories for a serving is 'high calorie'. I usually just plan it into my day... and I eat A LOT of pasta!

Maybe try smaller portions of pasta and add more veggies/lean meats to whatever dish you're making with the pasta?

Same. I tried spaghetti squash... meh. I tried miracle noodles... meh. I'd rather budget real pasta into my calories or have half a serving with a LOT of extra veggies mixed in.
  • mrsjennifermaffei
    Options
    Exercise more...that is the only advice I have as I would never substitute my beloved pasta lol. Maybe the sauce though, check into a healthier sauce option?
  • lsilly15
    lsilly15 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I am a pasta junky, but the calories are just sooo high.

Any suggestions on lower calorie pasta choices?

you and me chica. i loove pasta.
  • kotek11
    kotek11 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I'm a pasta junkie too, lol. I've recently tried whole wheat pastas. Give it a go :)
  • kimiel51
    kimiel51 Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    I like the whole grain version better than the whole wheat!
  • abnerner
    abnerner Posts: 452 Member
    Options
    My sauce is not to bad, as I make homeade. But it's just the actual noodles that get me. I am thinking of trying the Miracle Noodles though. But I have read they aren't as good with italian as with asian.
  • J3s3i3
    J3s3i3 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Maybe try spinach noodles. I'm not sure if they have less calories. I think it depends on the brand, but some have more protein in them.
  • gldnlark
    Options
    I too used to mix regular and whole grain pasta... I love the spinach spaghetti, but it's not easy to find. Our Kroger's stopped carrying it. 'Gonna try mixing all 3... I am also a pasta junkie, but am floored by how high in calories it is since joining this site!

A