Calling all cyclists, runners and triathletes

Options
Hello!

As you've opened this post, you're probably a cyclist, runner or triathlete (or perhaps just very bored).

I've been on Fitness Pal for the past few weeks and progress is frankly a bit too slow for my liking but i'm really enjoying the app and finding it really easy to use so far.

My question for you all is: how are you fuelling your running, cycling and swimming whilst trying to reduce your calorie intake? A few of my cycling buddies and I are registered on myfitnesspal and would be great to hear how others are managing?

For example, after a 1 hour run or 2 hour bike ride, I am absolutely starving! On longer bike rides, I also need to eat whilst on the bike - does anyone have tips in terms of what the best food to eat is?

Any help much appreciated!

N

Replies

• batlou
    batlou Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    This is difficult because many triathletes and cyclist will try to convince you that you need to eat gels and sugary crap to fuel longer workouts. The problem is that fueling for long distance events is a very individual thing and probably the most important discipline for long course triathlons. All the training in the world will do you no good if you don't fuel properly during the event.

Having said that, 1-2 hours is not a long course and you should have enough glycogen in your liver and muscles to easily fuel such a workout. That is unless your not properly fueling yourself when your not working out. Because this is your first post and you have nothing in your logs for food there is little I could do to help other than suggesting that you log everything and this means EVERYTHING. There is no such thing as to much information if you are preparing for long course racing.

Once you have logged for a month or two you will start to get a better feeling of what works and what does not. Subjective opinions and assumptions serve no purpose for long course racing/training.
  • naomibow
    naomibow Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Thank you Batlou! I have a 70.3 Ironman in September and a few sprint triathlons coming up over the summer along with some Sportives... I come from a running background and know exactly what I do (or do not) need to eat whilst running but I do struggle on the bike. I can normally get away with cycling for 2 hours without need anything but a zero calorie electrolyte drink and maybe 1 x jelly baby (just because it's offered to me...) The problems seem to occur at 2.5/3 hours plus on the bike... last Sunday I needed to take 2 x gels on a 3hr15 bike and not sure if there are better alternatives. I have been logging for a couple of weeks now but keep the diary private as am too scared to reveal it to the world just yet :)
  • scott091501
    scott091501 Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    When trying to lose weight I do ANY workout under 90 minutes fasted. Right now I eat a banana and drink a cup of coffee pre-ride and only take one bottle of sports drink. Other than that it's straight water. I will keep a random GU around just in case. Talking to a lot of elites and coaches I've come across the singular theme that triathletes over eat, so I've subscribed to the "Train low, race high" mantra.
  • naomibow
    naomibow Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Thanks Scott091501 and yesthistime... really really useful. And @Scott091501 - i've heard that triathletes overeat too!
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    I really don't each much before running and rarely ever purposefully. I'll eat my usual meals and I run at any time of the day, depending on my schedule. My week day runs are usually sub-7 miles. If it's a short run first thing in the morning, I often won't eat before at all.

While running, I've taken to eating Jelly Belly beans, just the regular ones. Every 30 minutes I'll eat about 5 or 6 of them. I usually drink straight water before, during and after runs, no electrolyte drinks. The only exception has been on a few of my longer runs (10-11 miles) I've used Power Bar Energy gels every 30 minutes (love them!) and sugar free Gatorade diluted with water.

Post running it's usually a glass of 1% milk with chocolate and whatever meal comes next in my day.
  • kentmanion
    kentmanion Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I am training for a 70.3 as well, and I am doing a full Marathon (my first) this Sunday!!! Like several people have said, I don't eat unless I am going to be training 90-120 minutes or more. On my long runs, I have been eating Clif Shot blox. I have 2 about every 45 minutes to an hour. Seems to keep me energized over 3+ hour runs. Post workout, if I go more than 90 minutes, I have been drinking a glass of lowfat chocolate milk. It really seems to take the edge off and refuel my body well.

Hope this helps! Good luck!
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Hello!

As you've opened this post, you're probably a cyclist, runner or triathlete (or perhaps just very bored).

I've been on Fitness Pal for the past few weeks and progress is frankly a bit too slow for my liking but i'm really enjoying the app and finding it really easy to use so far.

My question for you all is: how are you fuelling your running, cycling and swimming whilst trying to reduce your calorie intake? A few of my cycling buddies and I are registered on myfitnesspal and would be great to hear how others are managing?

For example, after a 1 hour run or 2 hour bike ride, I am absolutely starving! On longer bike rides, I also need to eat whilst on the bike - does anyone have tips in terms of what the best food to eat is?

Any help much appreciated!

N

MFP is set up so your eat back what you burn from exercise as your caloric deficit to lose is already accounted for in your original goal. That being said find the macros that work for you and eat the extra cals in the same ratio.
  • Eaglesfanintn
    Eaglesfanintn Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    kentmanion - good luck on your marathon!
    Your training regiment is similar to mine. I use one GU instead of the 2 Clif Shots. And, depending on the workout may have a Boost instead of chocolate milk afterwards. I also drink SmartWater after long workouts.
  • Inlet
    Inlet Posts: 135
    Options
    Post long workout or run I drink a protein shake consisting of...
    1tbsp pure, unsweetened cocoa powder,
    1 scoop Dymatize Whey and casein protein powder,
    and 8 oz of skim or 1% milk.

It always brings me back to life after getting pounded.

My current fav. pre-workout food is a serving (without milk) of "Golden Puffs" puffed wheat cereal. I don't know why but it always makes me feel really good during my workouts.

Since I try to take in 120 grams of protein a day, I tend to run a little low on carbohydrates and need those extra carbs right before workouts.
  • TravisBikes
    TravisBikes Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    I'm having a heck of a time. Especially since I went from full blob mode to trying to get to 6 workouts a week. Aiming to do a 50 mile MTB XC race in June, with a few races between.