Need Advice- Kindle Owners!

Options
amanda52488
amanda52488 Posts: 260 Member
I need advice, I am really interested in purchasing a kindle. I just am not sure which one to buy... The Kindle touchscreen 3 or the new Kindle Fire. I would use it mostly for reading, but I am sure it would be nice to have the other options on the kindle fire?

Any advice to those who own a kindle?

Replies

• coliema
    coliema Posts: 7,646 Member
    Options
    I'm getting the Kindle Fire, It hasn't been ordered yet but from looking at reviews and the capabilities--that's the one I went with!
  • clydethecat
    clydethecat Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    i just got a kindle fire a few days ago, and it rocks. i love it... we use it for books and watching netflix. its great for the treadmill. i would definitely recommend the kindle fire.
  • CatoftheCanals_
    Options
    I LOVE LOVE LOVEEEE my Kindle Fire. I keep it in my purse at all times. It is like my baby now. If you get the fire, it makes it really easy to go to places like pixelofink.com that posts links to ABSOLUTELY FREE and discounted books on Amazon daily. It is incredible. A lot of the books are self published, and many are ones I haven't heard of but since they are free it is a great opportunity to find new authors!
  • amanda52488
    Options
    Ive been looking at reviews too!
    I was just thinking itd be nice to download magazines on it...for when I am on the elliptical and bike..
  • amanda52488
    Options
    I LOVE LOVE LOVEEEE my Kindle Fire. I keep it in my purse at all times. It is like my baby now. If you get the fire, it makes it really easy to go to places like pixelofink.com that posts links to ABSOLUTELY FREE and discounted books on Amazon daily. It is incredible. A lot of the books are self published, and many are ones I haven't heard of but since they are free it is a great opportunity to find new authors!

thats awesome!!
  • anberlingasm
    Options
    I have a Kindle, but just a regular one with a keypad. It's awesome. I used to read a lot anyway but now I find it easier to read even more and so many books are now out of copyright and free to download. Plus there's the Kindle daily deal where amazon put a heavy reduction on a different book each day. I couldn't recommend one enough, I love mine.
  • CatoftheCanals_
    Options
    It is phenomenal. They also have a site devoted to young adult books, childrens book and Christian fiction. Today alone they posted 11 new free books, so it is my favorite thing right now!!
  • Moeblessings
    Options
    Amanda,
    It really depends what you will be using it for. I just got a kindle touch and I love it. I think the kindle fires are great but I really didn't need all of those apps because I have an iPhone. Some people don't like that the kindles are not in color but honestly when you are reading from it, you don't even notice. I especially like the fact that I don't have to fumble turning the pages when I am commuting on a crowded train. Either way, which ever one you choose, I am sure you will be happy with whatever you decide to go with. Happy hunting! :happy:
  • lab_goddess
    lab_goddess Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    I've had the earlier bw kindles as well as the Kindle Fire--they each have their perks, but if you have a smart phone, you may not need the kindle fire. But I love all of mine, I just find the bw version to be easier on the eyes for long term reading...
  • Krizzle4Rizzle
    Krizzle4Rizzle Posts: 2,704 Member
    Options
    Go kindle fire. It's not much more expensive than the other kindles and you can do a lot more!!
  • vsyates
    vsyates Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    I have a Kindle, but just a regular one with a keypad. It's awesome. I used to read a lot anyway but now I find it easier to read even more and so many books are now out of copyright and free to download. Plus there's the Kindle daily deal where amazon put a heavy reduction on a different book each day. I couldn't recommend one enough, I love mine.

I just have a regular one too. I LOVE it and take it everywhere with me! I bought mine over a year ago -- just to read books -- and within that timeframe I've read 40 books :laugh:
  • mirandamatte
    mirandamatte Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I have the kindle fire and love it...I agree though if you have an iphone or droid you may not need it for the apps unless you want a bigger screen to see the apps, which is nice.
  • YMark
    YMark Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I have a Kindle Fire and love it. However, it isn't the greatest for magazines, due to the layout of magazines. I love the fact that you can borrow books for free. It is a nice device. My wife has a Nook and loves that as well.
  • wlgreen379
    Options
    I have the Kindle Fire and my wife has an iPad. If I had to choose over again I'd probably go with the iPad for me as well, if I had the money. There are some small hiccups with the fire and working on different WiFi networks. I also REALLY wish it had a Bluetooth option to go with the Bluetooth headset I got for Christmas, but oh well. For basic web browsing, books, and Netflix it is really awesome, though. I do have to occasionally remind myself to use the device instead of my iPhone.
  • Legalchica
    Options
    Fire is great if your looking for a tablet. but if you want it as an ereader go for the original.. the print quality is easier on your eyes.. i have one I bought back in ... 09 and I LOVE it. It just depends on what you want to be able to use it for. plus there is no wifi charge with the ereader as with the fire.
  • Jenn_W
    Jenn_W Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I have the Kindle Fire and the regular Kindle 4th Gen... I prefer to read on the regular. My son using the Fire more than me, to watch movies, play games, or read 'picture' books. If you are just going to read I advise the regular ones, I think it is easier on my eyes. IMHO.

Enjoy whatever you get!!
  • DantonD
    DantonD Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I haven't used the Fire, but I would recommend getting a regular kindle if you're going to use it mostly for reading. Screen is easier on the eyes (designed NOT to look like a computer screen).
  • TweedleDebo
    TweedleDebo Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    I adore my Kindle Fire. I use it for all sorts of things, including MFP! I can't go to the forums on it, but I can log food & exercise as well as see my wall & friend's pages. There are hundreds of free apps and I have found several free books that are actually really good. My daughter watches Netflix on it and my son plays Angry Birds & surfs YouTube. It was my very favorite Christmas present!
  • tameko2
    tameko2 Posts: 31,634 Member
    Options

I just have a regular one too. I LOVE it and take it everywhere with me! I bought mine over a year ago -- just to read books -- and within that timeframe I've read 40 books :laugh:

I love my regular one! if yuo just want to READ that's all you should get.
  • the_journeyman
    the_journeyman Posts: 1,877 Member
    Options
    My wife just got a Kindle Fire this past weekend. I'm not sure she's actually set it down while she's been home. She's been watching season 3 of Vampire Diaries on it.

JM