Spartan Sprint/Warrior Dash

Options
Has anyone done the Spartan Sprint or Warrior Dash? What training did you do to prepare?

Replies

• Raclex
    Raclex Posts: 238
    Options
    I'm curious to know as well. Seriously considering the Spartan Sprint this year ..
  • Pinnagerjaggin
    Options
    That's a pretty intense looking kick you got there.
  • Raclex
    Options
    Haha! Thx... it's called an 'armada'... come from behind when you least expect it ;-)
  • Raclex
    Options
    Bump
  • ChristyU74
    ChristyU74 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    I'm also planning on doing the Warrior Dash and would love to hear other people's training plans. I'm currently weight training regularly and will start running again soon. But not sure how to train for all the obstacles!
  • johnny_k
    johnny_k Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I did the warrior dash back in Nov. I would recommend trail running with hills. The obstacles are not that intense, but the terrain can be rough. Be sure to wear shoes you can cinch up tightly (suction of the mud is fierce) and plan on leaving them after the race. It was a blast and I highly recommend running it with a group of friends.
  • Carolyn_79
    Carolyn_79 Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    I'm doing it this June for the first time. My hubby did it last year and has challenged me so it's on. I plan on doing some trail running, I'm currently doing Insanity, and will also begin seriously lifting so that the obstacles are easier for me. I'm thinking I may do P90X or NROL4W after Insanity.
  • jessicaeclark
    Options
    Make sure to check out Hero Rush as well!
    It's a firefighter themed 5k obstacle race!
    Herorush.com
  • ti2v78
    ti2v78 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    A warrior dash is not too bad for a course - if you can run a 5k (even slowly), you should be able to handle a warrior dash no problem. Keep on your cardio until you can run the entire distance, and work in a day or two of body weight exercises each week (pushups, pullups, situps and similar variations).
  • wender125
    wender125 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I'm doing it this June for the first time. My hubby did it last year and has challenged me so it's on. I plan on doing some trail running, I'm currently doing Insanity, and will also begin seriously lifting so that the obstacles are easier for me. I'm thinking I may do P90X or NROL4W after Insanity.

Hey! I'm doing it in Ottawa too!

I just found this video today: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=joIrCUtfxfU

It looks like an absolute blast!!! I'm excited, and stoked to get ready for this thing! Hopefully the weight will continue to drop off (less of me to lug around the course). And I started doing the 100 push up challenge. I don't need to get to a hundred though. I'll be happy with 20!!!
  • girlnumber57
    Options
    I did the Warrior Dash this last year and am signed up for this next year. I did not train for it at all, but I do work out on a daily basis. For this next year I am just going to add uphill running to my workout schedule. Our course had massive uphill running involved. As for the obstacles, pretty easy to do. I would just do squats and lunges and pushups to help prep for those.
  • joevennare
    Options
    Training for a Mud run or obstacle course race like Tough Mudder, Spartan Race, or warrior dash should include workouts that are focused on strength, cardio, and race specific skills. I have competed in a number of obstacle races, triathlon, and ultra marathon and found this type of training to be most effective.

Your main training goals should be to:
    • Increase strength relative to bodyweight, cardiovascular and muscular stamina, durability, and mental toughness
    • Learn, execute, and improve efficient biomechanics of functional movements like running, lifting, climbing, jumping, and landing
    • Develop core strength and stability through functional, compound movements
    • Improve balance, lower limb strength, and muscular recruitment and coordination under weight-bearing loads

Look to include compound, functional movements like kettlebell swings. Train under a weight-bearing load, over an extended period of time completing resisted runs, sprints, hill climbs, and stadium stairs. Finally, train skills specific to the race including relative strength, grip strength, core strength/stability, dynamic, unilateral, and non-linear movement, transfer of force/power, and transport a load.

Some workout suggestions include:

Strength Training:

Bodyweight exercises: squat, lunge, push-up, pull-up, dips

Loaded bodyweight exercise: adding weight/an additional load to pull-ups and dips

Kettlebells: in the strength training category kettlebells are paired with Olympic or compound movements during circuits that incorporate a heavier weight and fewer repetitions

Cardiovascular conditioning: Even if you are not a runner or endurance athlete, cardiovascular exercise still needs to be factored into your training program. In addition to some longer distance efforts try interval training.

High Intensity Intervals: working at or near max effort to fatigue the muscles and lungs. Alternate between periods of all our effort and shorter periods of rest.

Example: 400m all out sprint followed by a rest period that is half the amount of time it took your to complete the 400m sprint. Repeat 6-8 times

Intervals/Hill Sprints/Track Workouts: Mixed work periods from intense effort to low/moderate effort.

Example: Hill sprint that takes 60-90 seconds to complete, then walking or easy jog to start line. Repeat 8-12 times.

Tabata: High intensity working set for 20 seconds followed by 10 seconds of rest. Repeated for 8-12 sets.

Example: Overhead kettlebell swings for 20 seconds, followed by 10 seconds of rest. Repeat 8-12 times.

Try implementing these strategies and feel free to email me at joe@hybridathlete.org for additional workouts.

You can get more info from my free download here: http://www.racedaydomination.com/free-download/

Here is a bodyweight workout to get you started!

Warm-up:

Jog@ 2-5 minutes

Lunge @25 yards

Reverse Lunge @ 25 yards Walking

Broad Jump @ 25 yards

Training:

2 Round

50x Step-up (each leg, add weight vest or resistance if possible)

20x Push-up

30x Bodyweight Squat

20x Push-up

30x Bodyweight Squat

3 Rounds @ 50 yards each movement

Bear Crawl

75% Sprint

Plank Crawl

Walking Lunge

Bounding Jump Squats

Do Work and let me know if you have any questions!

Joe Vennare
    Hybrid Athlete and Race Day Domination