Biggest Loser TV show and their eating......

Options
2»

Replies

• paj315
    paj315 Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    excellent point someone made about it being a contest. I'm not sure its the best example to follow based on the rapid weight losses that are seen. The show often claims to have the health of the entire nation as their motivation but they are a business. The methods they use are not realistic for the day to day existence of most people. Not likely someone will be working out for 8 or 10 hours a day!

Yes it is a game but they do get results at least in the short term. Most just wondering how they get results when we hear so much on this website about plateaus, not eating enough, and not eating exercise calories etc. You can't argue that even though its a game they DO get at least short term results.
  • paj315
    paj315 Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    I used to eat around 1500 a day and wasn't starving at all...as a veggie lover I consumed lots of them and they kept me full.

Totally different issue unless you are working out 8-10 hours a day.
  • lizard053
    lizard053 Posts: 2,344 Member
    Options
    The contestants are on, what most would call, a medically supervised weight loss program. They burn stupid amounts of calories and only eat enough to keep their bodies functioning. That's why they have so much support staff available all the time for the contestants. It's not the best way to lose weight, but it works. And they are learning a new relationship with food, which makes weight loss maintainable. We only get to see bits and pieces, even with a 2 hour show. I find it motivating, and infuriating. I wish I had that kind of time to devote to workouts!
  • Phrak
    Phrak Posts: 353 Member
    Options

What do you think?
    I listen to the Jillian Michael's podcast a lot and she broke it down. From what I remember the girls are on 1200 and the boys are on 15-1600. Their burn each day was in the thousands. 3-6000 a day I think depending on the size of the contestant. Then once a week they would eat at maintenance. 2000 for girls 2500 for boys. I'd be STARVING. Even when they dip down into the 140-130's they still seem to keep losing...no starvation mode...it's interesting

Well starvation mode is a myth, their bodies do go through a metabolic process to reduce the energy output of various activities much like our own would eating at such low calories. Only differeince between them and people on these boards. They have the ability to out work their damaged metabolisms by spending more time in the gym and increase intensities.

They do a months worth of exercise in one week, not everyone has that much time on their hands.
  • auditorz
    Options
    Nobody has mentioned excess skin? Google that and rapid weight loss, it’ll make you sick.

Losing one pound a week is 52 lbs a year, that is tons of progress. If you stick with it, if you make it a permanent healthy lifestyle change, you will easily be able to reach whatever healthy weight you want. If you only have a temporary diet you will only have temporary results.

You didn’t get fat in one month you’re not going to get fit in one month either!