Recommend me: Quirky Books for Young Kids.

Options
13»

Replies

• ak_in_ak
    ak_in_ak Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    Nims Island! I am 21 and still love this book, and they made a movie.
  • CheshireKat13
    Options
    I second all of these! My kids (boys ages 8 and 6) LOVE Shel Silverstein and I recently shared Sideways Stories from Wayside School with my 8 year old because I loved it when I was his age. I'll also mention the Encyclopedia Brown books for a fun read at that age.
    Shel Silverstein's poetry.

Harry Potter series

Series of Unfortunate Events

Alice in Wonderland and Through The Looking Glass

Sideways Stories from Wayside School
  • clairification
    clairification Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I remember a book I read in elementary school called "The Celery Stalks at Midnight" - don't remember much about the book, but will never forget the title

ETA: Googled it... it's part of the Bunnicula series. those are some funny books!

So glad someone mentioned these, I loved them as a kid and still love them today.
  • davitalynette
    davitalynette Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    "Don't Touch That Toad & Other Strange Things Adults Tell You"
    Rondina, Catherine
  • Peanut0711
    Peanut0711 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    "Everyone Poops" I swear it's a book, i had to read it, was sooo freaking cute, but I don't remember the author.....
  • davitalynette
    davitalynette Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Also, I have an 8 year old son who is soooo into Greek Mythology now that we've started reading "Percy Jackson & The Olympians - The Lightening Thief" We're only half way through this book but we like it so far!
  • wdwghettogirl
    wdwghettogirl Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    Several people have mentioned the Phantom Toll Booth... excellent!

Harry Potter (series)

Percy Jackson (series)

Chronicles of Narnia (series)

Someone brought up the Bunnicula series, I read those too! Good ones!

Redwall (series)

The Best Christmas Pageant Ever (I know it's not Christmas, but this book is phenomenal!!!)
  • tiffanyvc
    Options
    I loved all the Ramona Quimby books when I was little. She's got a funny sense of humor.

And I LOVED the Wayside Stories books, but particularly the first one.
  • Serenitytoo
    Serenitytoo Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    My favourite book as a child was Skinnybones by Barbara Park. Funniest book I have ever read. I re-read it a few years ago and it is still just as funny. :smile:
  • missymarea
    missymarea Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    My son loved "The Day My Butt went Psycho" and all the Magic Tree House books
  • bethannc
    Options
    Don't miss A series of unfortunate events by Lemmony Snicket. The first book on CD is fabulous with a hilarious interview at the end of the book. Great to listen to on a road trip.
  • bethannc
    Options
    Alas Babylon is not for young kids. Trust me I am an elementary teacher.
  • ScottyNoHotty
    ScottyNoHotty Posts: 1,955 Member
    Options
    Depending on reading level check out Xanth series by Piers Anthony...my son is devouring these currently. Full of fantasy characters, magic and puns (which is his gavorite part!)

Completely forgot about these books...he must have over 30 in the series by now.
  • garnet1483
    garnet1483 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    I forgot! The Chronicles of Prydain (from whence "The Black Cauldron" came--second book) is also great!

And The Dark is Rising series by Susan Cooper, and the Tiffany Aching series by Terry Pratchett! The last one especially...it's incredibly entertaining, and intended for younger audiences.
  • rose49petter
    Options
    Some short story books help the young kids to gain knowledge. They cover all the relevant topics and easily share their view. Some of them are really interesting that they are very much in demand.
  • ChelseaYepThatsMe
    Options
    maniac magee (: (idk how old you were asking for, but i read this like 5th grade or something)
  • peles_fire
    Options
    Tales of a fourth grade nothing and the Fudge books by Judy Blume

I second that. Her books are hilarious. Blubber is another great one and a wonderful opportunity to discuss treating others with kindness and compassion.

Did you read Ronald Dahl's Witches book? That is another great one.
  • cblevitron
    Options
    The Phantom Tollbooth!