hate strength training.. need help!

Options
So I have no problem hitting the gym and getting in a nice cardio workout, but once it comes time for crunches or bicep curls, I completely lose focus! I get bored so easily and have a really hard time pushing myself through the burn. Anyone have any suggestions of a good video or something that could help me get in my strength training?

Replies

• MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    is it because you are going in there without a specific goal? get a copy of Oxygen magazine, there are usually some good lifting workouts in there that you could start with!
  • fitobsessed
    Options
    I get bored as well. Now, my favorite workout routine is Nike Training Club (plus it helps they are all professional female athletes). My second choice is Fitness Buddy - both are apps. Nike Training Club is free, and Fitness Buddy is $0.99. My other recommendation is Fleetly.

With both Nike Training Club and Fitness Buddy, you will find workouts for strength training that don't involve weights should you choose not to.

Good luck!!
  • bethannc
    Options
    I do a strength training class- like a boot camp or kettle bells class. Having an instructor makes all the difference for me.
  • kent4j
    kent4j Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    I do Jillian Michaels 30 Day Shred. It's a combo of strength training, cardio and core and it's about 25 minutes. No time to get bored.
  • daffodilsoup
    daffodilsoup Posts: 1,972 Member
    Options
    Try heavier, more compound lifts like squats and deadlifts. They require more strength, more focus and generally feel more rewarding when they're done! Put on some motivating tunes while you do it!

I'm subscribed to Muscle & Fitness Hers magazine - there are some great workout and eating tips in there.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    Ditch the isolation exercises and do some big compound lifts. Squat, Deadlift, Overhead Press, Bench Press. Keep it simple and heavy. Make it a challenge, not a bore. You need a comprehensive program that will give you steady improvement. It will give you something to work toward rather than just going through the motions doing dumbbell curls.

Check out Starting Strength, StrongLifts 5x5, or NROL.
  • natachaorama
    natachaorama Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I really love the work outs provided at www.bodyrock.tv. They require minimal to no equipment, they can be done at home. Everyday is something different and a challenge (no boredom). And you WILL get stronger. I can't believe the progress I've made in the short time I've been following them. The videos can look a little intimidating at first, but they always provide mods for beginners. Hope this helps!
  • killagb
    killagb Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options
    Ditch the isolation exercises and do some big compound lifts. Squat, Deadlift, Overhead Press, Bench Press. Keep it simple and heavy. Make it a challenge, not a bore. You need a comprehensive program that will give you steady improvement. It will give you something to work toward rather than just going through the motions doing dumbbell curls.

Check out Starting Strength, StrongLifts 5x5, or NROL.
    This! Big time. Compound lifts means less work, more results.
  • Kissybiz
    Kissybiz Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    I don't do well at the gym by myself doing strength training, so I hired a trainer. I just do half sessions but it's worth it. Plus they have strength workout classes at the gym I go to. There are also exercise videos that use weights with a stability ball that are great for beginners especially. I don't know if they sell them anymore, I got mine a zillion years ago, but I use Core Secrets on days I don't go to the gym, but I'm sure there are others. I've never done the 30-day shred videos, but they seem highly popular on here too.

Good luck!
  • Bencribb
    Bencribb Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    My best suggestion is spread those workouts out. The most efficient way to build muscle and lose fat at the same time are these high intensity circuit type workouts that rip your muscles all apart on large areas of your body and basically eat you up and crap you out within 2 hours at the gym. However, the body also isn't naturally built for that kind of thing, and it tells you EXTREMELY loud and clear. You'll feel crappy, you'll want to puke, you'll be dizzy, and it's completely normal.

So what you do, is train your body not to hate the burn so much, and a good way to do that is to not constantly push your limits. Choose 2 strength workouts every day... so, I'm gonna do pushups and situps today. And then just do them at different times, and focus only on that one exercise at that time, push through the burn as much as you can for that one single thing.

It's much easier to not lose focus since you know you don't have to save any energy for the next 4 sets or anything like that, and you'll slowly train yourself to tolerate higher lactic acid levels without freaking out. After 2-3 months of this you should be able to go through the more intense workouts again without as much hatred of them, and the simpler focus exercises that are separated from everything else, you may actually grow to like doing. I often find myself taking a break from homework reading or what not by taking 5 minutes out to do situps. I couldn't have even imagined actually wanting to do situps 3 months ago.

[edit] If you're getting bored you're not lifting enough weight. For a weighted exercise, to tone muscle, you should only be doing 20-40 reps, and it's best to do at least 2 workouts a month strength training, 8 reps per set (don't worry about getting hulkish, it's impossible to do that accidentally). Some things like push ups you can make harder by using push up bars to dip your chest deeper or plant your hands further down your body not right under your shoulders.
  • neekz0r
    neekz0r Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Try heavier, more compound lifts like squats and deadlifts. They require more strength, more focus and generally feel more rewarding when they're done! Put on some motivating tunes while you do it!

I'm subscribed to Muscle & Fitness Hers magazine - there are some great workout and eating tips in there.

This, with the caveat that you NEED a personal trainer to observe your form to make sure you've "got it". If you do these exercises with improper form, you have a high chance of injuring yourself.
  • emi1y15
    emi1y15 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! You all have some great ideas. I have been thinking about a Jillian Michaels video or trying to fit one of the classes at my gym into my schedule.
  • lizard053
    lizard053 Posts: 2,344 Member
    Options
    You could also, in addition to what many have said, try yoga. It's all about bodyweight training, but I find it way easier to do than lifting at the gym. And I can't complain about the results I get from it! But I also like to lift, and prefer compound movements to simple isolations.
  • CCulshaw
    CCulshaw Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Does your gym have any strength-training group fitness classes? My gym offers Les Mills Body Pump, and it really is a great full-body workout. Between the great music, the instructor motivation, and even some friendly competition with the other participants, it really does make the time go much faster. I push through harder than I would if I were on my own - I don't want to look like I can't keep up, and I certainly don't want to walk out when 15 other people are pushing through! A boot camp style class would work, as well.
  • MyFeistyEvolution
    MyFeistyEvolution Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    I'm going to step in for someone who isn't on today..

Check out nerdfitness.com.

:wink:
  • jjblogs
    jjblogs Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    Oh wow...I'm exactly the opposite. Time just flies by when I'm strength training. Cardio bores me to death. Are you heavy lifting? That's always challenging...keeping the right form and trying to push for heavier weight. If you change up your routine every other day or so (working upper body one day/lower another), it keeps it from being so monotonous. I have a little chart I take with me and keep track of my progress.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I am the same way. I find strength training mega boring. My daughter tells me I will like P90x but I haven't tried it yet.
  • infamousmk
    infamousmk Posts: 6,033 Member
    Options
    Start out with New Rules of Lifting! I'm way more bored doing cardio than lifting.
  • staceyseeger
    staceyseeger Posts: 783 Member
    Options
    I was the same way until I hired a personal trainer...I let him do the thinking & counting for me. i actually enjoy lifting these days. :smile: :smile: :smile:
  • dane11235813
    dane11235813 Posts: 684 Member
    Options
    My best suggestion is spread those workouts out. The most efficient way to build muscle and lose fat at the same time are these high intensity circuit type workouts that rip your muscles all apart on large areas of your body and basically eat you up and crap you out within 2 hours at the gym. However, the body also isn't naturally built for that kind of thing, and it tells you EXTREMELY loud and clear. You'll feel crappy, you'll want to puke, you'll be dizzy, and it's completely normal.

So what you do, is train your body not to hate the burn so much, and a good way to do that is to not constantly push your limits. Choose 2 strength workouts every day... so, I'm gonna do pushups and situps today. And then just do them at different times, and focus only on that one exercise at that time, push through the burn as much as you can for that one single thing.

It's much easier to not lose focus since you know you don't have to save any energy for the next 4 sets or anything like that, and you'll slowly train yourself to tolerate higher lactic acid levels without freaking out. After 2-3 months of this you should be able to go through the more intense workouts again without as much hatred of them, and the simpler focus exercises that are separated from everything else, you may actually grow to like doing. I often find myself taking a break from homework reading or what not by taking 5 minutes out to do situps. I couldn't have even imagined actually wanting to do situps 3 months ago.

[edit] If you're getting bored you're not lifting enough weight. For a weighted exercise, to tone muscle, you should only be doing 20-40 reps, and it's best to do at least 2 workouts a month strength training, 8 reps per set (don't worry about getting hulkish, it's impossible to do that accidentally). Some things like push ups you can make harder by using push up bars to dip your chest deeper or plant your hands further down your body not right under your shoulders.

HUH!?!?!??!?!