Do you need a Personal Trainer?

Options
Just curious what people's thoughts are. Obviously it would really help but not sure if I want to spend the money? I can do 5 sessions for $250.00. Would I be farther ahead to just buy some DVD's? I can't decide what to do?

Replies

• neekz0r
    neekz0r Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    What's your goal?

Investing in a personal trainer to get your momentum going and to make sure you are doing proper form is a good idea. After that, you may feel you don't need one.
  • ashleystetzer
    ashleystetzer Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I want to tone up more, and would like to drop another 10 pounds or so.I think your right, after 5 sessions I might feel like I can do it without help. Especially if I learn the proper technique...thanks!
  • anasf139
    anasf139 Posts: 101
    Options
    To be honest it depends what you are looking for. I like the fact that my trainer is there for accountability and support. Before training with him I pretty much did the same thing everytime I went to the gym, but he has taught be a lot from varying my workouts and how to do that to the best way to make my diet and exercie fit in with my life!

For me the best thing about having a trainer is being pushed much further than you think you can go! I like the support and the structure.

The other thing I would say is make sure that your traienr is qualified and knows his stuff! After all you are paying him a fair amount. Also one other thing, see if its possible to meet he/she beofre signing up, you need to find someone who you can work with so someone who suits your personality too.

Hope that helps a bit!
  • ashleystetzer
    ashleystetzer Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    To be honest it depends what you are looking for. I like the fact that my trainer is there for accountability and support. Before training with him I pretty much did the same thing everytime I went to the gym, but he has taught be a lot from varying my workouts and how to do that to the best way to make my diet and exercie fit in with my life!

For me the best thing about having a trainer is being pushed much further than you think you can go! I like the support and the structure.

The other thing I would say is make sure that your traienr is qualified and knows his stuff! After all you are paying him a fair amount. Also one other thing, see if its possible to meet he/she beofre signing up, you need to find someone who you can work with so someone who suits your personality too.

Hope that helps a bit!

Thank you, that was very helpful! I agree with you too, think I might go for it!
  • neekz0r
    Options
    Well, as a precaution, I'd say 5 sessions is too little to learn proper form -- think a year or so.

That being said, if a personal trainer doesn't talk about:

What your goals are
    What your nutrition is like

You should probably next him/her.

Also, ask him or her if he uses BMI as a method for gauging success. If the answer is yes, then absolutely next him or her. If he/she looks uncomfortable and splutters out that it's not a good measure, then keep them.
  • Chagama
    Chagama Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    I think it's personal (no pun intended). For myself, I would view it as a waste of money. I can do research and devise a plan. If I need some one time help on form or how to use some equipment, I can get one of the staff at the gym to demonstrate for me.

Other people (like my wife) enjoy the accountability of having someone watching and measuring and observing. It makes no sense to me why she feel accountable to a total stranger who only cares because s/he is being paid to do so, but if that is what it takes to stay motivated, then it's money well spent.
  • Flyntiggr
    Flyntiggr Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    I've been using a trainer 1-2 times per week since last January. She makes me do stuff I would never make myself do. I've pushed past sooo many barriers because of her ( and not just the losing of 40 pounds and running a freaking half marathon!)
  • VinaAnderson
    Options
    I have had a trainer for years because it keeps me motivated. At this point I know what to do but if I didn't have someone relying on me to keep my appointment I'd make excuses not to go. My trainer also pushes me further than I'd push myself. If you're self motivated, then I agree with the other comments. It might be beneficial to get the sessions to get you on the right track. Good luck!
  • neekz0r
    Options
    I think it's personal (no pun intended). For myself, I would view it as a waste of money. I can do research and devise a plan. If I need some one time help on form or how to use some equipment, I can get one of the staff at the gym to demonstrate for me.

I don't mean to pick on you, but that's like saying "If I wanted to do brain surgery, I'd just ask a nurse at a hospital to demonstrate it for me"

I mean, if your only goal is to run around, then yes, you don't have to have a personal trainer.

A decent personal trainer will show you how to do proper form so you don't injure yourself.
    An exceptional fitness trainer will put you through a functional movement screen so you can pre-hab and help prevent any possible injuries and/or strains.
  • Strobins05
    Options
    I say go for it! Those five sessions could be very beneficial to assisting you meet your goal! Good luck! :flowerforyou:
  • HeidiRene
    HeidiRene Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    In my experience they have helped me tremendously. A little tip for you: my wife is a PT that trains pp in our home or their home. During this recession she is making all kinds of deals with people. Hunt around you might be able to pay way less. She recently sold 30 1 hr sessions for $500. Good luck!
  • zsesteacher
    zsesteacher Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I do agree on getting a personal trainer...I've been going to one for the past 3 years and I love it...he really pushes me to go further and even though I'm still over weight, I can see myself very firm. I'm so happy to be going with him..good luck in whatever you decide to do...

Yvette
  • Lesa_Sass
    Lesa_Sass Posts: 2,213 Member
    Options
    Okay, here is my answer. I had been using a personal trainer 3x per week from July to the end October. He was very very reasonable at 99.95 for 4 sessions, and he came to my house.

I have now been using the Jillian Michaels 30 Day Shred DVD and see better results in 2 weeks from that than having the trainer come for 5 months. My husband even commented on it.

Now I will say this, when the trainer came, I HAD TO do the work, so if you can not find motivation to get up and do the DVD, then it is worth the price of a trainer, if you can get up and do them, I recommend them highly.
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    A good trainer would be worth it. Unfortunately, good trainers are hard to come by.
  • Bretto
    Bretto Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I have a couple ideas. First if you do indulge in a trainer, write down EVERYTHING they have you do and keep a log, this way when you are on your own you should have several workouts to choose from.

Second maybe to get more bang for your buck, can you do group session? With maybe 2-3 people, lower the cost and get more visits.

I think 5 sessions is not really enough to help if you want it for accountability. Try to find a workout buddy that you can meet at the gym. That always helps me.

Every year or too I go through a rut, so I will meet with someone to get some new workout ideas.

Good luck!
  • Valkyriewoman
    Valkyriewoman Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    My trainer is the best money I've ever spent. He has me do things that I'd never consider, pushes me harder than I'd ever push myself and has proven to me that I can blow away former boundaries as far as what I'm able to do physically. I am much more successful with him than without him.

That said, I believe I got really lucky in my trainer. I watch trainers in the gym who spend a lot of time talking to anyone other than who they're training at the moment, don't have a clue how to put together an effective program, who don't inspire and motivate their clients.

So, if you're getting a trainer, do interview them. Ask what their philosophy, background, and program ideas are. As them how they train themself. Get references! They should be interested in your goals, what motivates you, etc. In the end, the trainer is your employee and you want a better than average employee, especially considering the cost.

Good luck in your search!
  • mlb929
    mlb929 Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    I've never had a trainer, so can't speak from the experience of having one. But I've been just super with my results on my own. I read up on what I'm doing, mix it up on my own. I have BeachBody programs P90X, Insanity, which have been giving me results that are measurable and w/o injury.
  • chu604
    chu604 Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    Ya you can learn alot just in 5 sessions
    You should do it and then see how it feels from there!
  • scott091501
    scott091501 Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    A good trainer would be worth it. Unfortunately, good trainers are hard to come by.

x2
  • jody664
    jody664 Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    My trainer is the best money I've ever spent. He has me do things that I'd never consider, pushes me harder than I'd ever push myself and has proven to me that I can blow away former boundaries as far as what I'm able to do physically. I am much more successful with him than without him.

That said, I believe I got really lucky in my trainer. I watch trainers in the gym who spend a lot of time talking to anyone other than who they're training at the moment, don't have a clue how to put together an effective program, who don't inspire and motivate their clients.

So, if you're getting a trainer, do interview them. Ask what their philosophy, background, and program ideas are. As them how they train themself. Get references! They should be interested in your goals, what motivates you, etc. In the end, the trainer is your employee and you want a better than average employee, especially considering the cost.

Good luck in your search!

Totally agree with this. My experience exactly. My trainer has spent a lot of time discussing my goals and results, and reviews them often (every 4 sessions or so). I am doing things I never thought I'd be able to do. He's a great motivator. My gym offers 3 free sessions with a trainer, and I lucked out and got him. So I knew we'd work well together. That said, it IS expensive. And I realize it's cost prohibitive for a lot of people.