Ladies on birth control: extra period?

Options
So, I've been on the Yaz birth control since April 2008--nearly four years now--and never had a problem with it. My previously incredibly long periods became short, cramping and bloating eased, and I was always on time, without fail, about two days into the sugar pills every month. This persisted even as I lost weight, when I was down to my lowest weight last summer/fall (about 143 pounds).

But then, for the last few months, since about December, I've been getting an extra "phantom period", about 1.5-2 weeks before my actual period is supposed to turn up. What. The. Heck. It usually persists for two or three days and then vanishes, and then my real period turns up during the time of the sugar pill and lasts for four days as usual. There is no bloating, cramping, or weight gain with this extra phantom period like there is with my real period--and I don't have much then, either, but there's definitely a difference.

My question for you guys is: if you're on birth control, Yaz or otherwise, has this happened to you? It started occurring right around the time I gained some of my weight back (up to 155 pounds) and was admittedly eating like crap and not working out like I had been. But then, it's persisted since I started training for a half-marathon (that's been the last twelve weeks) and eating better again.

I've already scheduled a doctor's appointment because I figure that's the best course of action, but it just SUCKS. I've never had problems with this pill--it's been amazing--and I hope that my body's just re-adjusting to losing weight and working out again, and that it's not something serious.

Replies

• purpleipod
    purpleipod Posts: 1,147 Member
    Options
    I read this can happen if the pill is not a high enough dose of hormones for you.
  • mallory3411
    mallory3411 Posts: 839 Member
    Options
    If you've never had it happen before and you've been on the same pill for four years I would go see a doctor.

I've heard of this happening in the first few months while your body adjusts to it but not later on.

Might be that since you said you gained some weight it wasn't strong enough for you but I'm much heavier than you and was on the same pill and never had it happen even as my weight fluctuated.
  • 0AmyMarie0
    Options
    I have been on yaz for 3 years. This started happening to me in December. It turned out to be my thyroid. I thought it was pcos issues or endometriosis or something, but nope, it was my thyroid!

I wouldn't try switching pills just yet, if you're like me, yaz is a miracle pill! I would see if there is anything else going on first.
  • honolulumary
    honolulumary Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I Had the same problem with Alesse, my doc explained to me that this pill wasn't strong enough for me anymore and he switched me on Yasmin. Everything is under control know so just talk to your doctor.
  • runningfromzombies
    runningfromzombies Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    If you've never had it happen before and you've been on the same pill for four years I would go see a doctor.

I've heard of this happening in the first few months while your body adjusts to it but not later on.

Might be that since you said you gained some weight it wasn't strong enough for you but I'm much heavier than you and was on the same pill and never had it happen even as my weight fluctuated.

As I said in the original post, I have already scheduled an appointment. Was just mining for information in the meantime. :smile:

Yeah, I don't think it's the weight, either, since I started taking it when I was about 170 pounds and it worked perfectly fine then. The only time I've had that breakthrough bleeding before this was in that initial adjustment period. Grr. :grumble:
    I have been on yaz for 3 years. This started happening to me in December. It turned out to be my thyroid. I thought it was pcos issues or endometriosis or something, but nope, it was my thyroid!

I wouldn't try switching pills just yet, if you're like me, yaz is a miracle pill! I would see if there is anything else going on first.

Huh...that is really interesting. How did you end up resolving that issue?
  • msdoan
    msdoan Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I just finished my 3rd pack of Yaz and had it happen with this pack and the one before it. Never had the issue before when I was on it. I thought maybe it was because I just had a baby...maybe not!
  • 0AmyMarie0
    0AmyMarie0 Posts: 315
    Options

Huh...that is really interesting. How did you end up resolving that issue?

I went on thyroid medication and my cycles are back to normal now :) Good luck!
  • jenschnack
    jenschnack Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I have not taken Yaz before but I have had issues with some pills. If you are taking the generic you can have more troubles. I am on seasonique generic, I didn't have issues with the name brand but sometimes do with the generic. Years ago I took a different generic and had issues alot. My DR back then wrote specifically that I needed the name brand.
  • kristy6ward
    kristy6ward Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    I just got an extra period and was wondering what the heck is going on! I've been on yaz for the past 4 years as well... until I switched to Beyaz, the end of last year. Two days into my sugar pills my period would start, always very consistent. This past real period however, it started two days before I even started my sugar pills and lasted longer than normal to boot! Now about two weeks later, it seems I've started another one, however minor it seems to be flowing. Got scared and started searching around. I was reading on another site that exercise might have jump started it, or is just shaking loose excess stuff. I'm due to see my doctor later this month, definitely bringing this up!
  • sylversun
    Options
    This has recently happened to me. I am not on Yaz but I am on birth control. I had a 2 week long period then I was normal for a week and now I seem to have a period again. My weight loss has not been drastic, 11lbs in two months or so. I did go from being inactive to being more active, taking zumba classes and eating healthier.

Thank you to the OP for asking this question. It and the answers let me know I am not alone and there could be causes for it. Setting up an appointment with my dr.
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    The only time something like that happens to me is if I skip a pill or two and then take them a day later.. otherwise, everything has been normal.

I also don't take Yaz.. I take Loesterin 24 FE