Do you cleanse/detox?

Options
Do you go through a cleansing/detoxing period? If so when do you usually do it? for how long? How do you do it? I've heard about Advocare Cleanse and I'm interested in trying a cleansing period, but I'm still skeptial about it. Any suggestions?

Replies

• UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    Yes, several times per day
  • mallory3411
    mallory3411 Posts: 839 Member
    Options
    Nope. Your body is a wonderful machine. It will naturally cleanse and detox itself when it's given proper food, water and exercise.

Detoxes and cleanses are usually just glorified laxatives. Most do more harm than good. There have been no scientific studies to show that we need to detox and cleanse.
  • erinmac0211
    erinmac0211 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/fasting/#axzz1nouqJSYw

Intermittent fasting kinda counts as "cleansing" but that's not its purpose. Then again, most detoxes do use fasting as the way to detox so.....I recommend you read Mark's article :)
  • mallory3411
    Options
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/fasting/#axzz1nouqJSYw

Intermittent fasting kinda counts as "cleansing" but that's not its purpose. Then again, most detoxes do use fasting as the way to detox so.....I recommend you read Mark's article :)

This article is an opinion. Not much fact to go on here so I wouldn't put my faith in it.

I don't see the point the not eating for 24 hours unless it's for a medical reason. You are starving your body for a day.

You need to eat to fuel your body and any workouts you do.
  • HealthyBride5_3_13
    Options
    I did the Standard Process Purification Program for 3 weeks (the length of the program) to kick start my weight loss and I plan to do it again when I get closer to my goal weight to help knock it down. This detox is basically eating clean and adding a few supplements. I didn't get the exact items from the site (http://www.standardprocess.com/display/psppurification.spi) but I went to a vitamin shop and asked what was similar to the things on the list. Hope this helps!
  • MacMadame
    MacMadame Posts: 1,893 Member
    Options
    Plus, if you eat crap, as soon as you start eating again, you just "tox" back up. If you don't eat crap, there's nothing to "detox" from.

This doesn't get into whether you actually can flush "toxins" out of your body just by taking laxatives and drinking water, which is debatable.

IMO the only reason to fast is for religious/spiritual reasons. All the other reasons people give for fasting don't hold up when you examine them with any kind of science.
  • 967_1111
    967_1111 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Not that I think Dr. Oz is the be all to end all of medical advice, but I did see an episode and he answered this question. He said there is no need for a detox or a cleanse. Your body's natural inclination is to rid itself of harmful substances regularly. If you are eating a balanced diet, and getting plenty of fluids, you will expel "toxins" with every trip to the bathroom.
  • rebeccap13
    rebeccap13 Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    Your body cleanses and detoxes for you. If you just start eating clean your body won't have to work as hard to "cleanse and detox" so you'll start to feel better. There is no magic cleanse and most of the time any weight loss during a cleansing diet is just water weight.
  • ashielovesdashie88
    Options
    i actually do a water fast at least once every three months for about 3 days at a time. i drink about a gallon to two gallons of water. There's even a facebook group for water fasters.lol. Not to be vulgar but it's amazing what your body will "flush" out of your bottom it's pretty gross but your digestive system feels great afterwards. you're less bloated too!
  • jgerbe2
    jgerbe2 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I have followed a detox that I saw on yahoo about a year ago. It says 3 days, but I usually do it for 4 and do it once a month.

http://health.yahoo.net/experts/joybauernutrition/holiday-detox
  • Sl1ghtly
    Sl1ghtly Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    Do you go through a cleansing/detoxing period? If so when do you usually do it? for how long? How do you do it? I've heard about Advocare Cleanse and I'm interested in trying a cleansing period, but I'm still skeptial about it. Any suggestions?

You should be skeptical, the whole concept is irrational and unscientific.
  • Dilfster
    Dilfster Posts: 434
    Options
    I did one time and ended up in the hospital. never again going down that route.
  • emfilomena
    emfilomena Posts: 120
    Options
    As other people have stated, if your digestive system works like a regular person (things such as lactose intolerance, acid reflux, etc., don't count as abnormal), you don't need to detox / cleanse. Unfortunately, I have to take laxatives a lot (medically mandated) because I don't pass BM without assistance (I have a digestive disorder called gastroparesis). It is NOT fun and extremely painful!!
  • mallory3411
    Options
    i actually do a water fast at least once every three months for about 3 days at a time. i drink about a gallon to two gallons of water. There's even a facebook group for water fasters.lol. Not to be vulgar but it's amazing what your body will "flush" out of your bottom it's pretty gross but your digestive system feels great afterwards. you're less bloated too!

I drink that amount daily. Drinking nothing but water for three days isn't very healthy at all.

Your body detoxes and cleanses itself.
  • hiker282
    hiker282 Posts: 983 Member
    Options
    Nope, my liver and kidneys are working just fine and I generally eat a pretty balanced diet with all the nutrients I need. No need to starve myself on one of those cleanse deals, thank you very much!
  • mallory3411
    Options
    As other people have sated, if your digestive systems works like a regular person (things such as lactose intolerance, acid reflux, etc., don't count as abnormal), you don't need to detox / cleanse. Unfortunately, I have to take laxatives a lot (medically mandated) because I don't pass BM without assistance (I have a digestive disorder called gastroparesis). It is NOT fun and extremely painful!!

Agreed! If you don't have a medical reason given by a qualified doctor there's no need for these things.

They cause more problems than good.
  • visions845
    Options

I used Shakeology for 3 days (breakfast, lunch and dinner (dinner with some protein as a side) then I incorporated shakeology as my once a day meal replacement - and loving the results.
  • kwoj09
    kwoj09 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Thanks to everyone that commented. I think I was skeptical because I didn't really believe that it would be healthy for me. I think I eat pretty healthy, drink plenty of water, and have a healthy digestive system. I just thought it would have been a way out of a plateu, but probably not the healthiest way out of one.
  • Kincar
    Kincar Posts: 601 Member
    Options
    The only time I did a "cleanse" was when my Dr recommemded I do a juice fast. I was having bad gastro pain & other tmi stuff. I know people on here are very against juice cleanses, but it totally did the trick for me. I felt wonderful while doing it & it fixed my problems. I have never had those problems again, so I haven't repeated it.

My Dr told me not to buy a cleanse because they are a waste of money.
  • mallory3411
    Options
    If you're at a plateau try switching things up a bit. More intense exercise, a different type of exercise, different calorie amount, eating your exercise cals if you aren't already, calorie spiking/cycling.

Tons of ways to break plateaus!