Do you cleanse/detox?

Options
2»

Replies

• tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/fasting/#axzz1nouqJSYw

Intermittent fasting kinda counts as "cleansing" but that's not its purpose. Then again, most detoxes do use fasting as the way to detox so.....I recommend you read Mark's article :)

This article is an opinion. Not much fact to go on here so I wouldn't put my faith in it.

I don't see the point the not eating for 24 hours unless it's for a medical reason. You are starving your body for a day.

You need to eat to fuel your body and any workouts you do.

There's actually a lot of scientific research backing intermittent fasting as having positive health benefits. Humans evolved eating that way. This eating 500 meals a day thing is a very new phenomenon, from just the last couple hundred years or so, and it's pretty much a western thing, lot of other cultures around the world fast regularly, and are healthier.

As for detoxes and/or cleanses, they only thing they clean out is your wallet.
  • erinmac0211
    erinmac0211 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/fasting/#axzz1nouqJSYw

Intermittent fasting kinda counts as "cleansing" but that's not its purpose. Then again, most detoxes do use fasting as the way to detox so.....I recommend you read Mark's article :)

This article is an opinion. Not much fact to go on here so I wouldn't put my faith in it.

I don't see the point the not eating for 24 hours unless it's for a medical reason. You are starving your body for a day.

You need to eat to fuel your body and any workouts you do.

There's actually a lot of scientific research backing intermittent fasting as having positive health benefits. Humans evolved eating that way. This eating 500 meals a day thing is a very new phenomenon, from just the last couple hundred years or so, and it's pretty much a western thing, lot of other cultures around the world fast regularly, and are healthier.

As for detoxes and/or cleanses, they only thing they clean out is your wallet.

Thank you!!! And I agree, they want your money end of story. And yes, there is a lot of research backing up intermittent fasting not cleanses. It seems as though people misinterpreted me...
  • erinmac0211
    erinmac0211 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Thanks to everyone that commented. I think I was skeptical because I didn't really believe that it would be healthy for me. I think I eat pretty healthy, drink plenty of water, and have a healthy digestive system. I just thought it would have been a way out of a plateu, but probably not the healthiest way out of one.

There is no research saying that FASTING is unhealthy and actually can be good for you if you are in a plateau or want to increase your insulin resistance, etc. Cleanses that use pills or whatever are not good for you usually so I would stay away from those.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    The only time I did a "cleanse" was when my Dr recommemded I do a juice fast. I was having bad gastro pain & other tmi stuff. I know people on here are very against juice cleanses, but it totally did the trick for me. I felt wonderful while doing it & it fixed my problems. I have never had those problems again, so I haven't repeated it.

My Dr told me not to buy a cleanse because they are a waste of money.

and it was recommended by a qualified medical practitioner familiar with your particular situation to deal with a specific problem which is completely different from a lay person with little or no background in nutrition buying 21st century snake oil because some celebrity was paid to endorse it.
  • MountainMia
    MountainMia Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Nope. I'm done with the quick fixes. I'm sure my body can cleanse itself sufficiently now that I've stopped overloading it with toxins. :)
  • ahealthy4u
    ahealthy4u Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    4 times a year 21 days and I use the Herbalife products. I do it spring, summer, fall, and winter time is when I start them. But only when I feel that I need to cleanse/detox
  • BrianSharpe
    Options
    4 times a year 21 days and I use the Herbalife products. I do it spring, summer, fall, and winter time is when I start them. But only when I feel that I need to cleanse/detox

Specifically what toxins are you trying to rid your body of? How does a herbal product do this?
  • fluecok
    fluecok Posts: 52
    Options
    =(
  • fluecok
    fluecok Posts: 52
    Options
    I did one time and ended up in the hospital. never again going down that route.

oh nooo!!!!!

what happened?!
  • Kincar
    Kincar Posts: 601 Member
    Options
    The only time I did a "cleanse" was when my Dr recommemded I do a juice fast. I was having bad gastro pain & other tmi stuff. I know people on here are very against juice cleanses, but it totally did the trick for me. I felt wonderful while doing it & it fixed my problems. I have never had those problems again, so I haven't repeated it.

My Dr told me not to buy a cleanse because they are a waste of money.

and it was recommended by a qualified medical practitioner familiar with your particular situation to deal with a specific problem which is completely different from a lay person with little or no background in nutrition buying 21st century snake oil because some celebrity was paid to endorse it.

Thank you. I meant to add the part about it being a doctor, not just anyone. I wasn't recommending a juice cleanse, but it sounded like I was. I get tired of typing on my tablet so I don't always say everything I intend to when I start typing.
  • BrianSharpe
    Options

What a coincidence that your profile lists you as a ""Herbalife Independent Distributor"".
  • DaughterOfTheMostHighKing
    Options
    When I know something is stuck, like you haven't had a bowel movement for a while (2 day max wait) I drink dieter's tea. It cleans you out. If your body is not used to it, it can be uncomfortable. I've used the tea since my pageant days (long time ago!!! I'm 47 and I was what... 25 - 26? lol! my body's used to it... they have gentle ones too... if you eat a lot of fiber and drink lots of water you shouldn't need to cleans. but if you eat a lot of heavy starches with yummy gravies and sauces (yeah, I miss them!) you may need to cleanse once in a while.