I am trying to stop smoking

Options
But I am having a really hard time. I mean I can be busy and not think about it but then when I'm not doing nothin I want one I mean I only smoke 1-3 cigs a day but like at this point I really want one but I am trying to ignore I really need some tips and help how to stop.

Replies

• Skeebee
    Skeebee Posts: 740 Member
    Options
    When I quit, I had to replace my urge with some other addiction. I know, probably not healthy....but...mine was gum. I had to have about 2 packs of gum chewed a day. if I had the urge, I popped a stick of gum in so many different flavors to keep things different. My problem was a 2 month rule. Every time I neared 2 months, I would start again. I told myself once I went a DAY over 2 months, that meant I could do it. 12 year smoke free now. (yes, I started young....very bad...). You can do it as long as you find other ways to distract yourself; whether gum, exercise, music, some healthy form of replacement. everyone is different so it won't be easy, but don't give up. I know how you feel.
  • saragato
    saragato Posts: 1,154
    Options
    You might try one of those electronic cigarettes. They can help you cut down on actual smoking and you don't really have to step outside. I got my cousin one for Christmas and she said she was down to 2 cigarettes a day as opposed to a pack or so. She only stopped when her daughter had to have a tonsillectomy and it stressed her out.
  • kokaneesailor
    kokaneesailor Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    I smoked for 32 years, I quit on the 26th of Feb 2011. I tried every gimmickry in the book to try and quit, nothing worked for me. Until one day I discovered a book called "The easy way to quit smoking" by Allan Carr. Grab a copy from a bookstore, library or friend. Read the book and apply everything that you learned and you will quit. It's a head game the nicotine plays on your mind and body. It really is that easy.:smile:
  • wjranch
    wjranch Posts: 152
    Options
    I quit 6.5 years ago...after having smoked for over 25 years!!

You can do it.......... it is truly mind over matter...... be aware your mind is "of two minds" right now.... part will help you curb your habit and the other part will try and sabotage your efforts!

There were 2 things that helped me immensely........... A: I allowed myself the opportunity to grieve the loss of my 'habit'..after all it was a huge part of my life for many years..my 'go to' move when all else failed, like a best friend...and now it was gone? yes, grieve it and release it.
    B : I used nicotine patches during the first few weeks... probably more a psychological thing really as I developed a tendency to 'rub the patch' under stressful times......and still to this day, I tend to do this under stress...I will rub my upper arm (usually the left) I guess I replaced one habit with another?? Whatever, it worked for me! LOL

Hope this helps :)

p.s. Also, It makes a big difference if you begin to train your brain to see yourself as a NON smoker........... re-wire your thoughts to think that way
  • Fat_2_Fit_Mommy
    Fat_2_Fit_Mommy Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    When I quit, I had to replace my urge with some other addiction. I know, probably not healthy....but...mine was gum. I had to have about 2 packs of gum chewed a day. if I had the urge, I popped a stick of gum in so many different flavors to keep things different. My problem was a 2 month rule. Every time I neared 2 months, I would start again. I told myself once I went a DAY over 2 months, that meant I could do it. 12 year smoke free now. (yes, I started young....very bad...). You can do it as long as you find other ways to distract yourself; whether gum, exercise, music, some healthy form of replacement. everyone is different so it won't be easy, but don't give up. I know how you feel.

I started pretty young my self. But I will try the gum idea though.
  • Skeebee
    Skeebee Posts: 740 Member
    Options

I started pretty young my self. But I will try the gum idea though.

I weened myself off the gum, too. It was easier to do that once the cigarettes were gone. ;-) Best of luck to you on whatever you try!
  • cruiser3004
    cruiser3004 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Check out www.whyquit.com and spend some time there to help you understand your addiction and how to overcome it.

It worked for me , never another puff!!
  • jarrettd
    jarrettd Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    Write down a list of reasons why you want to quit. Read it daily.

When you want a cig, tell yourself that if you still want one in an hour, you will have it. (Cravings usually only last about 5 minutes or so.)

Write down your most common craving triggers and plan a strategy for them. If you crave when you get bored, go for a walk, or work on a puzzle, or <insert favorite acitvity here>. After meals? Brush your teeth. Practice makes perfect.

You may not succeed at first, but never stop trying. It took me dozens of failed attempts, but this time, I think I've got it: One year quit March 23, 2012, and I've never felt better.

Most insurances offer smoking cessation help, with literature, counseling, and sometimes drugs/patches, etc. Some states offer these free as well. Try everything until you find what works for you.

BTW: I held my mother's hand as she took her last breath, dying from small-cell lung cancer after 30 years of smoking. I did not want my kids to have to do the same for me. Add pictures of your loved ones to your reasons to quit.

You can make this happen; you only have to want to.
  • lewandt
    lewandt Posts: 566
    Options
    are you using anything to help you? I used the patch and it worked very well. But there are other things too like the gum, lozenges, pills, patch and the electronic cigarette. If you need help use it, your success rate is higher with a little help.
  • sarahsmom1
    sarahsmom1 Posts: 1,501 Member
    Options
    Both my mom and dad smoked for over 50 years and my husband and I smoked for over 30 years we all quit. We just did not buy cigarettes. Cards word search, crafts keep the hands busy draw anything.
  • PunkyRachel
    PunkyRachel Posts: 1,959 Member
    Options
    I quit smoking about 7 years ago. I started way to young I smoked from ages 9-19...ecks! I tried to go cold turkey but that didn't work. I was a stress smoker, I am now addicted to chewing gum/breath mints. I popped a piece every time I wanted to smoke, It took me about 6-7 months, but I did it!
  • clewis628
    clewis628 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    When I quit, I had to replace my urge with some other addiction. I know, probably not healthy....but...mine was gum. I had to have about 2 packs of gum chewed a day. if I had the urge, I popped a stick of gum in so many different flavors to keep things different.

I chewed gum too. Not the nicorette gum just regular gum. Usually cinnamon or really strong peppermint so that i focused on the taste of the gum. I quit cold turkey too and boy was it tough because my office had a window that looked right out to the smoking section outside our building.

Good luck with it! It's probably just as hard, if not harder than losing weight! But trust me, it will be worth it!
  • sabinecbauer
    sabinecbauer Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    I only smoke 1-3 cigs a day but like at this point I really want one but I am trying to ignore I really need some tips and help how to stop.

As my doctor said to me (I was a 5 a day gal), "Only 5 a day? That's hardly worth buying cigarettes for!"

That was in June last year. I found that argument absurdly convincing and quit after 30 years (including 20 'pack' years). I used the nicotine gums during the first few days and then kicked those to the curb too. What I found most difficult to deal with wasn't the nicotine withdrawal--with 5 a day, I was hardly a nicotine addict, neither are you--but handling those situations when I habitually would have a cigarette, e.g. when the first mug of coffee in the morning was loudly screaming to be accompanied by its usual cigarette. Reminding myself that it was nothing but a ritual helped. An awareness thing, I guess.

Eventually that stopped and now, after 9 smoke-free months, I hardly ever get a (mild, very short-term) craving. So I would suggest that you try and identify the 'rituals' that make you want to smoke and, as much as possible, avoid those situations for a while.

You can do it! You're nearly there anyway! :smile:
  • taul07
    taul07 Posts: 12
    Options
    How can I post my own posts for everyone to comment? do i make my profile public? Im new to this thing :o)
  • 76tech
    76tech Posts: 1,455 Member
    Options
    All good suggestions here. One thing that worked for me:
    When you start craving a cigarette, do *something*. Get up and get a glass of water. Turn the TV off. Or on.
    Look out the window. Anything to change what you're doing at that moment.
  • FitSid
    FitSid Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I also use gum. It works. It really works.
    And when you feel like "oh it'd be really nice to go outside and have a cigarette" I drink herbal tea. (like peppermint etc).

Oh and this is your average mint flavoured chewing gum, but if you feel you're addicted to the nicotine, try the nicotine gum (which is fairly expensive) then switch to normal gum, and hey presto placebo effect.
  • DianeG213
    DianeG213 Posts: 253
    Options
    I used Chantix two years ago to quit. However you do it - just do it. Once you are free from it altogether, you will feel so much healthier! Best of luck to you!
  • justagirl2013
    justagirl2013 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I recently quit on February 3rd. I tried so many other times, but failed miserably. What really got me is my doctor telling me I had the lungs of an 85 year old woman (and I'm 27!!!). That was it, I was done.

I went and visited my SO 2 weeks after I quit. I thought in my head that it was going to be extremely hard and that I was going to want a ciggarette. Let me tell you, it was quite the opposite. I was so repulsed by the smell, the taste (from kissing him), everything about it. Not to mention, I had my car detailed the day after I quit, and he made it stinky and full of ashes. The night before I left I washed my laundry. The next day, it went back into the washing machine at home.

I can now smell so much more, and my tastes have changed dramatically lately. Things I loved, I now hate. Everything tastes overly salty to me, sweet stuff is too sweet, etc.

I'm not going to lie, I have thought about it, but I love the way I can run without dying to catch my breath, love that I don't stink anymore, love that my daughter has fresh clean air to breathe (we do not smoke at all in house, never have, never will).

You have to want to quit, but when you do, you will wonder what took you so long. Best of luck to you!!!
  • gomisskellygo
    gomisskellygo Posts: 635 Member
    Options
    I am using the patch. It will be week 4 on Friday. The urges really last about 5 minutes unless you cave in to the obssessive thinking. I was a pack a day smoker for 20 years. I have tried EVERYTHING atleast 3X. You have to find what works for you.You have been given so much great advice so far!! I am chewing an embarrassing amount of gum and drinking obscene amounts of water! I am also starting to run a little to help prevent weight gain. You can do this!!
  • Fat_2_Fit_Mommy
    Fat_2_Fit_Mommy Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    Check out www.whyquit.com and spend some time there to help you understand your addiction and how to overcome it.

It worked for me , never another puff!!
    Thanks I just went to it and omg I am not even craving it any more but it's going to be hard but I know I can do it!