A little help here. ... How do YOU overcome eating sweets?

Options
I eat really healthy in general. I eat lots of salads, fruits, veggies, proteins, I eat really healthy!! BUT, When i come to work their is brownies, cookies, candy, anything you can really think of every day. I can't just tell the CEO to stop bringing it. There are a few days i am really good, then other days I'm bad. I think thats what stops me from "losing" any weight.
When I get home, I again eat really healthy and do really well, but the boyfriend is always baking up something good. well, I always cave into ONE. I'm just trying to avoid it all in general until I lose all the weight I want, then I will have what I want, in moderation of course.
So my question is, how do you avoid or have the will power to overcome eating the things you really "shouldn't"

Replies

• kleighsamboer
    Options
    One of the easiest things to do is to keep some dark chocolate with you. it needs to be 70% or higher. Endangered species, Dagoba, and Green and Black's are good options. It has helped me a lot. You need to watch your serving and calories but it helps so much to be able to have some chocolate while everyone else it eating baked goods. Also, tell the boyfriend to stop baking and putting it under your nose when you are trying to be healthy. I know it is hard to say but sometimes you just have to. I have had to do it with my husband and he finally understood that his unhealthy eating habits were hindering me as well as making him unhealthy even if HE didn't need to lose weight.
  • poustotah
    poustotah Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    This was one of the toughest things for me to overcome. I had to force myself not to eat it for a while. I just willed it away. Once I lost the weight I wanted, I decided to have a piece of cake. Man did it taste nasty! It was way too sugary. Now any time I eat anything too sugary I get sick and my teeth start to feel like they're rotting right out of my head.
  • burg1801
    burg1801 Posts: 124
    Options
    I don't avoid because that'll just make me want it even more. I don't overindulge myself in any one thing though. I think the best way is to give yourself a reasonable limit.
  • MrsNelson0904
    MrsNelson0904 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    You don't always have to say NO...just eat in moderation. Instead of having a few handfuls of candy just grab like 5 peices. And maybe mention to your boss that you've really been trying to eat clean because you have a weightloss goal you've been working hard to reach. Sometimes this can influence people to stop bringing junk food around and consider bringing in healthier options. As for your boyfriend...just tell him to stop. OR...look up healthier recipes for the sweets he likes to make. www.foodnetwork.com is a great resource for recipes. Elle Krieger is one of my favorite chefs because all of her recipes are super healthy!
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    I don't. I eat them without going over my calorie goal.
  • 0AmyMarie0
    Options
    Blueberries and Lemon water...cuts the sweet cravings for me!

If I have calories left in the evening though, I let myself have a treat :)
  • jessbstampin
    Options
    This is something that I, too, struggle with on a regular basis. But I've been pretty open with my friends, family, co-workers about my health related food issues. At first they razzed me for being so "health conscious", but I've stuck with it and now my good habits are rubbing off on them. They're even strict with me saying "you can't have that, right"? so it prevents me from giving in too often. And I found a healthy dessert that I can eat and bring in to share with them - try the Artisana Coconut Butter Bars. You just melt a jar of Coconut Butter (I use a double boiler so it doesn't burn) and stir in pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds, almonds, and a few dark chocolate chips. Cool in the fridge and then serve in bars/chunks.
  • Mariana_87
    Options
    One of the easiest things to do is to keep some dark chocolate with you. it needs to be 70% or higher. Endangered species, Dagoba, and Green and Black's are good options. It has helped me a lot. You need to watch your serving and calories but it helps so much to be able to have some chocolate while everyone else it eating baked goods. Also, tell the boyfriend to stop baking and putting it under your nose when you are trying to be healthy. I know it is hard to say but sometimes you just have to. I have had to do it with my husband and he finally understood that his unhealthy eating habits were hindering me as well as making him unhealthy even if HE didn't need to lose weight.

I have told him multiple times, but he says that since he is skinny and always will be he can eat whatever he wants, I should be strong enough to stay away. What he doesn't get, is that its just not that easy... Thanks though I will try the dark Chocolate
  • nickyfm
    nickyfm Posts: 1,214 Member
    Options
    I keep a steady blood sugar, so now I rarely crave them! :)
    I also really don't regard junk food as food anymore. It;s all made up of garbage, not to mention the fact that my body almost breaks down when I eat it.
    You're better off eating the yummy, healthy alternatives like 70% dark chocolate, fruit or some homemade granola, made with manuka honey instead of sugar :)
  • Mariana_87
    Options
    I don't avoid because that'll just make me want it even more. I don't overindulge myself in any one thing though. I think the best way is to give yourself a reasonable limit.

I think its best for me to avoid at this point, I try the whole "moderation" thing but I dunno. I just seem to get disappointed when its just 5 m&m's or someething. haha thank you though
  • Mariana_87
    Options
    I keep a steady blood sugar, so now I rarely crave them! :)
    I also really don't regard junk food as food anymore. It;s all made up of garbage, not to mention the fact that my body almost breaks down when I eat it.
    You're better off eating the yummy, healthy alternatives like 70% dark chocolate, fruit or some homemade granola, made with manuka honey instead of sugar :)

oh my gosh the granola and manuka honey sounds sooo good. Thank you!!!!
  • scott091501
    scott091501 Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    First of all your boyfriend should be on board with your goals and not be baking stuff as much. Secondly schedule cheat days. It gives you something to look forward to and makes it easier to bypass stuff at random opportunities.
  • Captain_Tightpants
    Captain_Tightpants Posts: 2,215 Member
    Options
    Sweets are the one foodstuff where I think completely giving up cold turkey is easier than eating in moderation. Their chemical structures induce craving and addiction responses so when you eat even a little bit of one, you prime yourself to eat more. Better to just quit, struggle through the horrible first month and then it gets much easier to avoid them. I walked in the kitchen at work today and there was a tray loaded with muffins, cookies, donuts and candy... didn't even give it a second look. Three months ago I would have filled my plate with them.
  • Mariana_87
    Options
    First of all your boyfriend should be on board with your goals and not be baking stuff as much. Secondly schedule cheat days. It gives you something to look forward to and makes it easier to bypass stuff at random opportunities.

I agree, maybe boyfriend should be kicked to the curb, cause I have been TRYING for years to lose weight and finally I lost 35 pounds, but I want to lose more and he just doesn't seem to care. And Your right. Cheat days may be easier for me. Thank you
  • Mariana_87
    Options
    Sweets are the one foodstuff where I think completely giving up cold turkey is easier than eating in moderation. Their chemical structures induce craving and addiction responses so when you eat even a little bit of one, you prime yourself to eat more. Better to just quit, struggle through the horrible first month and then it gets much easier to avoid them. I walked in the kitchen at work today and there was a tray loaded with muffins, cookies, donuts and candy... didn't even give it a second look. Three months ago I would have filled my plate with them.

I hope to be as strong as you some day
  • kimiel51
    kimiel51 Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    I just figure them into my day! I won't tell myself that I can't have something if I really want it!
  • kleighsamboer
    Options
    I went through the same thing with my husband. He is thin and always will be but that doesn't mean he is healthy. In fact, it took him getting very ill and having to have surgery and a 2 week stay in the hospital for him to make this realization. He has always been supportive of me but much more so now. He now eats much healthier and we are now going to the gym together. I know how difficult it can be. I hope it gets better/easier for you.
  • Porcelain1981
    Porcelain1981 Posts: 51 Member
    Options

I think its best for me to avoid at this point, I try the whole "moderation" thing but I dunno. I just seem to get disappointed when its just 5 m&m's or someething. haha thank you though
    A big thing for me was figuring out why I was really eating them and then re-programming my mind into knowing that they're not gold dust and aren't treats. The are common items readily available everyday. I don't have to eat them now just because they're there. I don't need to have them because I've had a crap day. I can eat them anytime I want, I choose not to, because to me being slim, healthy and happy everyday is far more important than a 5 min sugar/chocolate hit. Don't get me wrong, now and then, I will choose to have some, but it's because I can not an auto-pilot must have.

Really hope that didn't come across as preachy. The only real advice I have to give is, the only thing getting in your way, is your own head. Solve the why, flip it and reinforce your new thoughts and you'll be surprised how much easier it can become.

Oh and if you think you need an extra boost to help, Marissa Peer "You Can be Thin" audio book (Neuro Linguistic Programming) helped me a lot a few years ago. I allowed life get in the way and stopped consciously choosing what I want, but have been back at it for 3 weeks or so and it really helps me.
  • cgsr
    cgsr Posts: 113
    Options

^ This...I have become obsessed with seeing results, and am sold on the fact that a consistent caloric deficit is the way...so when I have room, I go for it, and when I don't, I don't.
  • BecksFit88
    Options

This. A 200 calorie slice of cake and a 200 calorie serving of chicken will have the same effect on your weight.

It's not a diet, it's a lifestyle. I refuse to live a life without desserts.