i have noticed that my legs ache me to the point of no sleep
i have to continuously stretch them out
and i keep waking up because of it

any suggestions?!

Replies

• brandiuntz
    brandiuntz Posts: 2,717 Member
    Options
    My legs get restless when my iron levels are low. Maybe have your vitamins levels checked at your doctor's office?
  • NotGoddess
    NotGoddess Posts: 1,198 Member
    Options
    Ditto on the iron. Lack of magnesium can also do it. A good mutli-vitamin can help but if it continues, mention it to your doctor.
    Or you might just not be doing enough post-workout stretching.
  • katie133
    katie133 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    this actually happens to me a lot, im not sure if it's from working out.. but some nights i cant sleep because of all the leg twitching, its terrible
  • AnarchoGen
    AnarchoGen Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    Monitor your potassium levels and make sure you're getting enough of that. I have a friend with RLS who said it is another symptom of a more serious condition - something to do with the cardiovascular system, so PLEASE get to a doc as soon as you can!
  • AnarchoGen
    AnarchoGen Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    You can try cutting out gluten, lowering your gluten or cutting it out completely from your diet helps with spasticity. Many people with neurological disorders benefit from a gf diet. My son and I are on one :)
  • Determined523
    Options
    Not a personal prob but my mom has RLS. She works on her feet all day. She went and got medication to help them relax so she can sleep. If she doesn't take it, her legs twitch and jerk and cause her pain. She really can't control the random, sudden movements... so if it is like that, maybe you should see what ur dr. says.

On another note... when I work out a lot, my legs (esp. my left one for some reason) are sore . I think it is just a side effect from working out and was told that it will ease over time. Stretching A LOT will help.
  • colorfulcupcakes
    colorfulcupcakes Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I have had terrible problems with rls and exercise usually helps it, but avoiding alcohol helps me the most, I don't know if that's a factor for you..
  • Bookers23
    Bookers23 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Magnesium oxide is a great muscle relaxer alternative to nasty prescription drugs. I take at night on occasion and really helps with sleep and boughts of rls.
  • neo200120018
    neo200120018 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    a multitude of vitamin deficantcies and medication side effects
  • shepherdbl
    shepherdbl Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I have RLS and the doctor told me before he will prescribe any meds he wants me to try drinking about 6 ounces of tonic water in the evening. So far it works for me (the quinine is what works) so I don't have to get medication.

If my legs are cramping I take a spoonful of yellow mustard and it almost immediately alleviates or lessens the cramping.

I have also discovered avoiding late evening alcohol consumption helps avoid RLS symptoms.

Hope this helps.
  • susannamarie
    susannamarie Posts: 2,148 Member
    Options
    Personally my legs get restless and also achy when my potassium is low.

As soon as they start kicking on their own I realize that I forgot to monitor that lately and I run out and get a bunch of beet greens :P
  • gooiyw
    gooiyw Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    It looks like by far, the sufferers of RLS seem to be female. I have it too. Triggers for me seem to be alcohol and pregnancy (the last one anyway). Immersing my feet in warm salted water helps... as do deep massages. On bad nights, I get my 17kg 5 year old to stand on my affected leg for relief. LOL.
  • fluecok
    fluecok Posts: 52
    Options
    thank u guys for all ur suggestions!
    i will add some more vitamins to my plan!
  • fluecok
    Options
    You can try cutting out gluten, lowering your gluten or cutting it out completely from your diet helps with spasticity. Many people with neurological disorders benefit from a gf diet. My son and I are on one :)

i have celiac and therefore am on a gluten free diet
    hardest thing for a mexican to do LOL
    took a lot to say NO to a tortilla!
  • fluecok
    Options
    I have had terrible problems with rls and exercise usually helps it, but avoiding alcohol helps me the most, I don't know if that's a factor for you..

i dont really consume any alcohol, way rare
    maybe wine but nothing outside of that
  • daryls
    daryls Posts: 260
    Options
    Try the foam roller to massage them. Mine got better as I exercised more. When I first started a boot camp class they would drive me crazy at night. Now that I do the class a couple times a week I have no more "restless" feeling in my legs.
  • fink21061
    fink21061 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I have suffered from rls since I was about 12. So that is 19 years now. lol. I tried the prescriptions and had a reaction to them. Finally I found a doc that told me benadryl. Something in it calms the legs. I tried it and not that is my best friend. I did some research and come to find out this is the number one medication over the counter reccomended for it.
  • LadyGhostDuchess
    LadyGhostDuchess Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    I have it, but I get it in my arms. My arms get all tingly and they spaz out.
    I have noticed that a Banana and a HOT bath normally help me out.

Each person can find their own way to coax it that isn't medical based. Try some of the tips that were offered here. If they help, please let us know! I know I HATE it, especially when I am so tired I just want to sleep and my body is twitching all over the place!
  • wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    Options
    I also find that elevation immediately post workout helps mine. Especially long runs or anything that's intense on my legs.

I just come home and immediately lay on the ground and put my legs up on my coffee table or balance ball. You can even put them straight up against a wall. It tends to eliminate almost all the ache that would normally come after. And if I do have issues that night or the next day, I just get 'em elevated again.

I'm not big on continuous drugs, so I just keep all my vitamin and mineral levels where try should be and do the elevation when things get bad and it seems to work.
  • Micheller1210
    Micheller1210 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    I have it sometime getting up and walking up or down stairs getting advil and going back to bed helps me :)