I didn't feel hungry at all today.

Options
Today I tried to see if I could go without taste. Just completely give up every food that tastes good to me. For once I ate foods because of the nutritional values for fuel, rather than because I thought it tasted good. I loved the feeling of not being controlled by craving. I ate healthy food that I didn't necessarily like every two hours. First, grapefruit and black coffee. Then I had baby carrots and crab meat. The crab meat was gross so I ate it with a can of vegetarian refried beans. I didn't feel hungry at all during the day, which is great because it was just a test to see if I could do it. I realized that it was possible for me to eliminate my selfish desire for taste. My problem with this is: I only consumed 500 or so calories today, and right about now I'm feeling hungry. Not very hungy, but enough to where I can feel it. I realize 500 calories is dangerously low, and I plan on eating around 1900 tomorrow. This whole process is making me dislike eating. Which I love! My question to you is: Do you think eliminating good taste is going to work long term? And, should I allow myself one day a week to eat what I want?

Replies

• JacksMom12
    JacksMom12 Posts: 1,044 Member
    Options
    Sounds miserable to me.
  • cakeums
    cakeums Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    Why eliminate taste?! I eat lots of stuff that tastes fabulous and am definitely hitting my net every day, but not overeating (with the exception of the Ben & Jerry's I had last night for the first time in months, lol).
  • zasiiniya
    zasiiniya Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I'd be horribly sad if I did this. I love food and eating. I get great pleasure out of making myself food and indulging myself occasionally. So to take all of the taste out of it would be like turning myself colorblind.
  • albinogorilla
    albinogorilla Posts: 1,056 Member
    Options
    I enjoy everything i eat, steak, chicken, fish, pizza, pasta, etc............eating "healthy" doesn't mean not enjoying your food. And its a change that will never last long term...........
  • RockaholicMama
    RockaholicMama Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    I enjoy everything i eat, steak, chicken, fish, pizza, pasta, etc............eating "healthy" doesn't mean not enjoying your food. And its a change that will never last long term...........

This. And, in moderation, I don't see a problem with pizza. I sometimes make myself a gluten free pizza alternative when I get a craving for it. I think I'd be miserable to give up everything I liked and it would be a much longer process.
  • kstep88
    kstep88 Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't say eliminate taste.. I'd say, try to like the taste of the nutritious foods you eat. It may take a little time, (or a lot) but it will eventually happen. I now crave vegie burgers, bell pepper, zuchinni and all sorts of vegis and less of the bad stuff. It just taskes adjusting. I don't even like fast food anymore. :)
  • drfalktorres
    drfalktorres Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I dunno, I think you might be on to something. If taste is part of the reason restraint is difficult, then eating for fuel may not be such a bad thing. I think looking at food as a fuel rather than a treat may be the way to go for some of us. I think I'd rather get my enjoyment from the company I share my meals with and the peace of mind and confidence that comes with being healthy than with then the meals themselves. You've inspired me with your post.
  • DianeG213
    DianeG213 Posts: 253
    Options
    A desire for good tasting food is not selfish. I enjoy my meals, look forward to a few treats, and lose weight because I stay within my calorie goals. What is wrong with enjoyable meals?
  • kstep88
    kstep88 Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    oh and you may want to bump those cals up a bit so you dont wake up starving and eat a boat load. Maybe a protein shake or something could get your cals higher..but I do get what you were trying to accomplish.
  • challengeaccepted
    Options
    I'm doing an intermittent fast at 20:4. I fast for 20 hrs straight and eat during 4 hours straight while staying within my goals. You might want to look up intermittent fasting, most are for 16:8, it might be some you'd like to try. There was a thread here the other day on starvation mode and you might want to look that up also. I've been eating under 1,200 for the past two days and I don't feel any different, but then we're not all the same.

and sorry I didn't really answer your question. But from what you were doing, IF sounds like something you'd like.