Do i have to eat all my calories?

Options
I need help guys.
I'm suppose to be eating 1370 calories a day to lose 2lbs a week. I am burning about 400-600 a day from working out. However, i'm only consuming about 1200 calories a day. Do i have to eat the entire 1370 + what i'm burning from working out to lose the 2lbs a week?

Hope to get your responses cause i've been working out for a month & eating less + drinking tons of water and i've only lost 3 lbs.

Malvina

Replies

• Sebidian
    Sebidian Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Please read the "Read Again and Again" posts under General Diet and Weight Loss Help, especially the one listed as "for-those-confused-or-questioning-eating-your-exercise-calories"
  • jmilf1
    jmilf1 Posts: 5
    Options
    THink about it this way...if you are only eating 1200 calories a day and burning 600 calories, then you are surviving on a net 600 calories. There is no possible way that this is healthy long term. Plus if you only have 600 net calories, how can your workouts possibly be done at their peak. You can only perform at your peak performance if your body has the fuel available to.
  • Johnnyswife
    Johnnyswife Posts: 1,447 Member
    Options
    I think your body goes into starvation mode, and its harder to shake the weight because your body fights you to hang on to the weight so it can survive.

Try eating your workout calories for a week, and see what happens.
  • BrenNew
    BrenNew Posts: 3,420 Member
    Options
    I think your body goes into starvation mode, and its harder to shake the weight because your body fights you to hang on to the weight so it can survive.

Try eating your workout calories for a week, and see what happens.

Yup, I DEFINITELY second this! :smile:
  • screamingsoftly
    Options
    I know that everyone tells you that you should and it's so much better if you do but honestly if I work out really hard for the day and burn a ton of calories I find it very difficult to eat my regular allotment as well as the earned credit calories.

Sometimes my stomach just can't hold it all! I say do the best you can but eat what feels right and if it turns out the equations don't exactly match up to when your body says it's had enough, listen to your body first.

Just my thought though
  • Malvys24
    Malvys24 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for the input. I just find it hard to eat more than 1300 calories without eating something "Unhealthy" i guess in order for me to stay eating healthy i have to be EXTRA careful with what i eat. It's not hard to eat the earned calories from working out, but i tend to eat the wrong foods when i do consume them. do i make sense??? Oh well, dieting is my biggest struggle.
  • astridfeline
    astridfeline Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    There are a lot of healthy "calorie dense" foods you could eat instead of junky choices. Try peanut or almond butter, nuts, and avocados.
  • gemiwing
    gemiwing Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    Grab a powerbar and shovel that sucker in there. They're calorie dense and you can find ones that are good.