If I don't start sleeping I'm going to freak out!

Options

Replies

• lorro
    lorro Posts: 917 Member
    Options
    Espie's sleep programme has been shown in clinical trials to be effective, i recommend it over medication any day. Here's a link if you're interested: http://www.goodmedicine.org.uk/goodknowledge/sleep-adhd-fatigue
  • Trinketona
    Trinketona Posts: 190
    Options
    I work graveyards so its hard for me to sleep sometimes. What works for me...Benadryl!!!!!!!!! It totally knocks me out. After 30 minutes of taking it and I start slurring my words and have fallen asleep in my car. :laugh: Not while driving. I got home an was sooo sleepy I couldnt get out of the car and just slept there. I've been able to sleep up to 14 hours with Benadryl.
  • abhiforlife
    abhiforlife Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I very deeply sympathise. I've had sleep issues in the past and they were painful to deal with and yours sound way worse. I sincerely hope you find something, anything, that works.

The only thing (other than medication) that worked for me was to literally knock myself out by doing physical activity. Unfortunately, it had to be at least 4-5 hours of solid physical activity, which wasn't possible on anything but a weekend. You might give that a shot.
  • HeidiRene
    HeidiRene Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    I work graveyards so its hard for me to sleep sometimes. What works for me...Benadryl!!!!!!!!! It totally knocks me out. After 30 minutes of taking it and I start slurring my words and have fallen asleep in my car. :laugh: Not while driving. I got home an was sooo sleepy I couldnt get out of the car and just slept there. I've been able to sleep up to 14 hours with Benadryl.

I wish Benadryl worked for me.
  • abhiforlife
    Options
    Espie's sleep programme has been shown in clinical trials to be effective, i recommend it over medication any day. Here's a link if you're interested: http://www.goodmedicine.org.uk/goodknowledge/sleep-adhd-fatigue

Thanks for that link, I've read a couple of those documents and it seems like very useful info to have.
  • HeidiRene
    Options
    I very deeply sympathise. I've had sleep issues in the past and they were painful to deal with and yours sound way worse. I sincerely hope you find something, anything, that works.

The only thing (other than medication) that worked for me was to literally knock myself out by doing physical activity. Unfortunately, it had to be at least 4-5 hours of solid physical activity, which wasn't possible on anything but a weekend. You might give that a shot.

When I trained for a marathon (wasn't dealing with insomnia at the time) but I could never sleep the nights of long run days. So, I am skeptical but hopeful...I will try this. Thanks!
  • tiffanypardus
    Options
    wide awake as well, I sleep like **** for 3 days 4 hours maybe then the 4th day I'm out cold. I'm going to be one cranky b*$%h tomorrow.
  • abhiforlife
    Options

When I trained for a marathon (wasn't dealing with insomnia at the time) but I could never sleep the nights of long run days. So, I am skeptical but hopeful...I will try this. Thanks!

I suspect you had heightened anxiety for the big day. That's the worst thing about insomnia, the bad effects esp. the anxiety builds on itself and your sleep gets worse and worse. :(

Good luck!
  • HeidiRene
    Options
    I sent this to you but in case others are in need--
    go to WWW.PPARX.ORG they offer help to those who need meds numerous programs are under this one program

this is so sweet! I encourage others to try this site if they need help getting meds. Unfortunately, I plugged my info in and they can't help me.
  • HeidiRene
    Options

I suspect you had heightened anxiety for the big day. That's the worst thing about insomnia, the bad effects esp. the anxiety builds on itself and your sleep gets worse and worse. :(

Good luck!

No, it wasn't worrying about runs. After running long distances I couldn;t sleep that night. Don;t know why.
  • HeidiRene
    Options
    Everyones different but i find Antihistamines generally knock me straight out.

Not me. Boo!
  • HeidiRene
    Options
    you may be lacking magnesium. about 80% of women are. it costs about $10 for a 30 day supply. Fred Meyer has the best one I have found. It is Nature's Made. Please if you try the magnesium buy that one. The cheaper brands and even some of the more expensive ones only have mag. oxide in it which our bodies does not absorb. You need a brand that had more than 1 type of magnesium in it. I used to be an insomniac and I have some central nervous issues and the magnesium truly has helped me. I know how frustrating it can be and I am sorry you are having trouble sleeping!

I take a multi vitamin...I am assuming this won't cover my magnesium needs? I eat healthy so it's hard for me to imagine I am deficient but I will try this.
  • HeidiRene
    Options

I will certainly look into it! Most of us prefer not to take meds...but, when you suffer with something and the alternatives don;t work medicine is better than never sleeping. Sleep deprivation is terrible! I will look into this though. Thanks!
  • cherdan
    cherdan Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I wish I had solutions for you. I am in the exact same spot, except I don't think I naturally suffer from insomnia. I quit drinking completely last June, and since then I am unable to sleep until 6 or 7 am, EVERY day, and I can't even sleep at all without a combined 1-2 Unisom and 4-6 melatonin. Although alcohol does help to bring about sleepiness (and definitely intensifies the effects of sleep aids), I would advise you PLEASE not to start drinking for this reason, because if you suffer from depression and anxiety (as I also do), you also have more proclivity to become dependent on it. I am an alcoholic and alcohol was keeping me from achieving my goals on MFP, which was the one thing that got me to quit. Now, even after 8 months of sobriety, I still feel as if I am being "punished" for my frequent drinking. I cannot get back on a normal sleep pattern, no matter what I do. I feel like I am paying the price for getting better.
    I too am unemployed except for my meager p/t job (which is mostly a couple hours a week at night) and this in turn fuels my insomnia, cause I feel like if I can't find "normal' (e.g. 9-5, not overnight, which I DO NOT want) work, what's the point of trying to get out of this horrible pattern?
    Are you sure the Klonopin is the end-all, be-all solution?? My goal is to sleep *normally* again, like I once somehow did before alcohol. Klonopin will definitely knock you the **** out, but it is highly addictive and has gnarly side effects, like most benzos. I used to experiment with it, but coupled with the alcohol it just conked me out.
  • Gemnildy
    Gemnildy Posts: 124 Member
    Options

I know this is the other end of the specrum but it works for me too!

I am a night owl who gets my 2nd (maybe 3rd 4th) wind about 10pm and after that I am doomed. I can read, watch TV, play games on the computer.. ANYTHING until the wee hours of the morning. I also seem to only need about 4 1/2 - 5 hours sleep a night which most people have a real issue with. I was surprised to find that I really if I take that late hour time for a good cardio workout (Turbo Jam is my norm), as I go through my physical cool down I also find myself ready to shut down for the night If I can finish my workout by 12:30am then I can make it to bed by 1am and the alarm goes off at 5:45!.
  • HeidiRene
    Options
    I wish I had solutions for you. I am in the exact same spot, except I don't think I naturally suffer from insomnia. I quit drinking completely last June, and since then I am unable to sleep until 6 or 7 am, EVERY day, and I can't even sleep at all without a combined 1-2 Unisom and 4-6 melatonin. Although alcohol does help to bring about sleepiness (and definitely intensifies the effects of sleep aids), I would advise you PLEASE not to start drinking for this reason, because if you suffer from depression and anxiety (as I also do), you also have more proclivity to become dependent on it. I am an alcoholic and alcohol was keeping me from achieving my goals on MFP, which was the one thing that got me to quit. Now, even after 8 months of sobriety, I still feel as if I am being "punished" for my frequent drinking. I cannot get back on a normal sleep pattern, no matter what I do. I feel like I am paying the price for getting better.
    I too am unemployed except for my meager p/t job (which is mostly a couple hours a week at night) and this in turn fuels my insomnia, cause I feel like if I can't find "normal' (e.g. 9-5, not overnight, which I DO NOT want) work, what's the point of trying to get out of this horrible pattern?
    Are you sure the Klonopin is the end-all, be-all solution?? My goal is to sleep *normally* again, like I once somehow did before alcohol. Klonopin will definitely knock you the **** out, but it is highly addictive and has gnarly side effects, like most benzos. I used to experiment with it, but coupled with the alcohol it just conked me out.

Thanks for posting! I don't drink so I am not going to try that solution. But, I appreciate your warnings. I went through many many meds with my psychiatrist and Klonopin worked the best for me. Clearly, I would much prefer to get to a point where I can sleep normally; however, since that is not happening month after month my body needs sleep. That doctor is in another state so even if I had money I would probably be screwed b/c I would have to build a relationship with a new doc (I recently moved) and many doctors treat everyone like an addict these days. It's very hard. I am always open to try ANYTHING (except drinking or illegal drugs I guess) but that is just what has worked for me in the past. Also, I never had any side affects from Klonopin. I guess everyone is different.

I feel your pain too. I admire all the positive changes you have made in your life! Sounds like you are really headed in the right direction.
  • Ash_76
    Ash_76 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    when the body orgasms a hormone is released which causes a relaxing sensation...... just a thought
    something to try at bedtime lol
  • i_love_vinegar
    i_love_vinegar Posts: 2,092 Member
    Options
    Here are a couple suggestions that work for me:

Castor oil -- put a thick layer on your eyelids and around your eyes (don't worry if it gets in your eye. It will make things blurry for a few minutes, but that is it...i actually use it as eyedrops even).

*kitten* -- helps to relax your body

Put lavendar scent on your neck/wrists...calming.

I hope this helps~~~
  • lorro
    lorro Posts: 917 Member
    Options

I will certainly look into it! Most of us prefer not to take meds...but, when you suffer with something and the alternatives don;t work medicine is better than never sleeping. Sleep deprivation is terrible! I will look into this though. Thanks!

You're welcome :flowerforyou: For severe insomniacs the sleep restriction is the most difficult but most important part of the treatment but it's so worth it as it's very effective. I'll see if I can find you some trial results later. The reason it works is because sleep is a habit and if your're body is in the habit of getting say 4 hrs sleep a night, you need to start at that point and establish efficient sleep and then slowly stretch the window. It can be hard accepting little sleep at first as most people are desperate for more but think of it this way: if what you are doing now isn't working, what have you got to lose? :smile:

PS I agree sleep deprivation is terrible, so terrible it's sometimes used as a form of torture.
  • HeidiRene
    Options
    *kitten* -- helps to relax your body

If this worked for me I would be Sleeping Freaking Beauty! haha Seriously. Thanks, tho. ;-)